Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

vegaschatter.com: Cantor Releases 2014 NFL Season Win Totals

A more recent list has the Pats and 49ers at 10.5 and the Skins at 7.5...

And CBS Sports' predictions:

Philadelphia Eagles, 9
Over (+115)/Under (-135)

One of my top picks from 2013, the Eagles are much trendier to succeed in 2014 after Chip Kelly's impressive debut. Their over/under jumped by a full two games but it's hard not to be bullish on them even with the departure of DeSean Jackson. The offense is still loaded, the defense should improve and there's a nice, soft three-game opener against the Jags, Colts (without Robert Mathis) and Redskins. Much easier than Chip's opening stretch last year. I like them as a 10-win team and NFC East champs as of right now.
VERDICT: OVER

Dallas Cowboys, 8
Over (-110)/Under (-110)

The smart play is to just type PUSH and move on. Over the last three years, the Cowboys are a combined 24-24, with each season culminating in an 8-8 record. They are mediocrity defined. Playing the NFC West this year is terrifying and Jerry Jones' team sports a really difficult schedule (vs. SF, @TEN, @STL, NO) to start the season. Losses on the defensive line are a real concern and I'm not sure I'm buying what they're selling. 8-7 going into the final week against the Redskins is almost a lock. Just depends on whether you think they'll win or lose.
VERDICT: UNDER

Washington Redskins, 7.5
Over (+125)/Under (-145)

Pretty obvious Vegas doesn't believe in Washington topping eight wins this year. It's hard to blame them after last season's debacle. But Robert Griffin III should be healthy this year, there's a new coaching staff in town, D-Jax is there and the young sieve of a defense should be improved. Retaining Brian Orakpo and grabbing Morgan Moses in the draft were nice moves. I think RG3 bounces back this season and shows people he can be a pocket passer.
VERDICT: OVER

New York Giants, 7.5
Over (-135) / Under (+115)

The opposite of Washington: Vegas expects people to be the over. Not surprising since this Giants team typically doesn't stay bad for long. Eli Manning has to be better, by default. Odell Beckham, Jr., is a delightful addition to his arsenal and Jerry Reese focused on shoring up the offensive line. I am not sold on the Giants defensive line, however, and the running game gives me pause, even with the addition of Rashad Jennings. Don't like betting against Tom Coughlin but the Giants only have one double-digit win season since 2009.
VERDICT: UNDER

I bullishly had us down for a double digit win season when Gruden took over based soley on 10 finally having coaches and scheme working with, rather than against him.

But when you factor in the big burgundy and gold comedy show that is this teams defense, which still gives you fits from front to back; 6 or 7 wins seems more likely unless we put up 30 plus points a game.

I suspect Vegas has it bang on the nail.

Hail.

I bullishly had us down for a double digit win season when Gruden took over based soley on 10 finally having coaches and scheme working with, rather than against him.

But when you factor in the big burgundy and gold comedy show that is this teams defense, which still gives you fits from front to back; 6 or 7 wins seems more likely unless we put up 30 plus points a game.

I suspect Vegas has it bang on the nail.

Hail.

I'd love to know what you think, other than tagging your antimancrush they could have done to make you think the fallen sky wasn't picked up.

For some reason, and I have no idea why this is, but I just get the feeling that the defense is going to be better this year. Not '85 bears better, but middle-of-the-road better.

The 'Skins gave up an average of 29.9 points per game last year. That was second last, only Minnesota was worse at a nice round 30/game. And the .1 per game is statistically insignificant. So, let's just say the 'Skins had the worst defense in the league last year.

Last year the Tennessee Titans ranked 16th in points per game given up, at 23.8. Absolutely middle of the pack statistically.

And I actually think the 'Skins could get to about that number. It might be irrational, and I might be completely, totally, and in every possible way wrong. My reasoning is that the addition of Hatcher greatly improves the push from the DL, that the ILB group will be much more athletic, and that Clark, even if he has lost a step, lends significant experience running this system in the secondary.

Given all this, I'd rate the 'Skins defensive talent as "average." And "Average" personnel might get you "average" results.

Average results is 24 points per game, essentially. And I think they can get there.

I also think that the offense and special teams are going to help significantly. I expect the ST to be dramatically better. And I expect the offense to turn the ball over less.

Offensively, I have a ton of confidence in Gruden to figure out how to make the offense hum. I think the OL will be ok. Not spectacular, but ok. And if they are "ok" then the offense could be top 5 in the league, if RGIII plays similar to 2012 form, and with the addition of weapons such as D. Jackson, Roberts and a healthy Jordan Reed.

So with all that said, I'm taking the over, and I think this team can win 8-10 games next year. I'm picking 8-8, because I always pick 8-8. But they could be a surprise team IF RGIII plays the way he did 2 years ago.

In past years....namely the last two I was high on life and looked to around 10 wins. I feel much more tempered despite improvements on defense, healthy RG3, and new coach. At best 8 wins with eagles at 10 Dallas has a romo meltdown (injury) with 6 and the giants around 7

lets keep in mind our special teams were terrible... you cant blame the defense for the points and or terrible field position they gave up.  not to mention our offense not sustaining drives.

all in all, if our O and ST improve our defense will be a lot better

I would never take the over on a rookie headcoach. Every once in awhile you get a dynamic Chip Kelly. .but more often than not there's an adjustment period. I'd be ecstatic with 8 wins..but 5 or 6 seems realistic.

Those predictions seem reasonable.

Here's how I predict the Skins' season:

Last year's record:  3-13

+ Less front-office dysfunction:  5-11

- New head-coach deduction:  4-12

+ Fresh start bonus:  6-10

+ Healthier QB:  8-8

+ Upgraded offense:  9-7

+ Upgraded special teams:  10-6

+ Upgraded defense:  11-5

- Jim Haslett's continued presence:  10-6

- One unexpected, heartbreaking loss to a hated foe and/or cellar dweller:  9-7

+ One unexpected "Now we're going to the Super Bowl!!1!" win over an "elite" team:  10-6

So there you have it:  10-6 with a trip to the playoffs.  

Upon self-reflection, I find it interesting that despite the ever-evolving circumstances (and despite my complete lack of homertude), almost every year* I somehow predict a 10-6 season and a playoff berth for the Skins.**

*  The exceptions are years in which the Skins made the playoffs the previous year.  I always seem to predict 14-2 records after those seasons.

**  These predictions, as you know, are almost always wrong.

Season rests to me on one thing, and thats Griffin. This offense is loaded with weapons but no one person can controll who gets an opportunity more so then he does. On paper as coach said the team has significantly improved the talent level from last year. Our draft on paper was excellent. Murphy the nations sack leader comes in as the fourth best pass rusher on the team. Hatcher Rak and Kerrigan were enough. Murphy is a rich talented team getting richer. The wide outs last year didnt have 26 year old three time probowl receivers or one of the absolute best 3s in the game. Seastrunk and Morris and going to make the backfield better then Helu and Morris. Taking 2 offensive linemen with the team first three draft picks was a move many long time fans were begging for. The special teams will be much improved with the free agent additions of former teams captains. But you add all of that up and it comes down to Griffin. If he bounces back as we expect the fact that 35 year old guys are playing the back end of the defense wont matter. The teams going to score 30 points a game and unless they get into shootouts like last years Bears game they are going to win at least half of them easily. If I were in Vegas I have to take the over. Before the offseason and free agents or draft I said the team would win 6 games now I am confident in 9 wins and a late season flirt with the playoffs.

The defense will be better, and the offense will too.  The biggest upgrade will be on ST which could look incredibly good (as in best we've had in years) since the team put more emphasis on it than in any year I can remember.  We signed 4-5 free agents who are studs on ST, then we drafted 3-4 guys who can also provide a big push on ST.  

We might see an incredibly improved team just based on the improvements on offense, the minor improvements on defense (and the young guys getting some experience), and the vast improvement (on paper) on ST.

Of course this could end up doing nothing and we could see a complete meltdown, however the FO doesn't seem to be in a panic, and it's not like these guys haven't been around playoff teams in the past.  So, I guess we'll see.

I also have a prediction that hankersonfan will post in block text for the majority of the season, then be kicked by a mule and suddenly his enter button will begin to work.  

(just messin' with you man  ;) )

I agree the defense is the wildcard.

If they stink, forget what heroics our offense comes up with.  No way do we reach or go deep in the playoffs.

If they pull it together and click... then the sky is the limit for this season.

I actually do believe the defense can surprise us this season, just as much as I can believe we could be averting our eyes in shame all season.  We'll see when the regular season starts...

To me, its all about Griffin. If he's an above average QB in this league (and I tend to think he will be) and healthy, 7 wins should be no problem. I blame a fair amount of his performance in 2013 on the knee, but we'll see where he is in 2014.

lets keep in mind our special teams were terrible... you cant blame the defense for the points and or terrible field position they gave up.  not to mention our offense not sustaining drives.

all in all, if our O and ST improve our defense will be a lot better

ST were historically bad but our defense was too. Could not stop ANYONE from scoring when they wanted to. They were plain awful, in addition to special teams being bad. Being all around horrible in every phase actually masks how bad the defense really was, because teams did not have to be aggressive to beat us.

To me, its all about Griffin. If he's an above average QB in this league (and I tend to think he will be) and healthy, 7 wins should be no problem. I blame a fair amount of his performance in 2013 on the knee, but we'll see where he is in 2014.

Griffin's floor is above average. Even last year as bad as everything was you can make an honest argument that his performance was average. The question is can he be very to great. With his potential we should always be demanding a range between great and elite.

Griffin's floor is above average. Even last year as bad as everything was you can make an honest argument that his performance was average. The question is can he be very to great. With his potential we should always be demanding a range between great and elite.

Thats what a lot of people didnt see, a terrible season for Griffin last year was par for the course in the NFL. I have the skins at 11-5 this year. Ill know right away though if they can achieve it though. If they lose either of the first two games it wont be happening.

He rides the darn thing. And it sewed a hand gun into his palm. You don't avoid the mule THAT easily.

I could set up Unicorn intervention but it's a tricky one as the chimps a devious lil' ****er!

Hail.

hahaha  OMG, we are almost creating a mythology for ES.  It's getting better and better.

Archived