Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict the starting OL

Riggo-toni

LT -Trent "King of tacky overpriced jewelry" Williams (um duh).

LG Lavao (although I really wish LiRibeus rises to the occasion and beats him out.)

C McGlynn

RG Spencer Long

RT Polumbus. Yes, he will beat out Moses until next year. Actually I don't think it will be Polumbus here either, but rather a FA on nobody's radar yet. Remember, Mark May was a 1st rounder drafted to play LT, but got outplayed by a UDFA named Jacoby and was moved inside.

OL Roster (from KDawg's Roster Thread):

OFFENSIVE LINE (14):

Center (1):
61 Kevin Kowalski

Guard/Center (1):
78 Kory Lichtensteiger

Guard (7):
66 Chris Chester
73 Adam Gettis
79 Maurice Hurt
77 Shawn Lauvao
67 Josh LeRibeu

62 Tevita Stevens

60 Spencer Long *ROOKIE*

Tackle (5):
71 Trent Williams
74 Tyler Polumbus
68 Tom Compton
75 Mike McGlynn

76 Morgan Moses *ROOKIE*

Pos    1st Team                    2nd Team

LT      Trent Williams             Tom Compton

LG     Shawn Lauvao          Josh LeRibeus

C       Kory Lichtensteiger    Mike McGlynn

RG     Adam Gettis               Spencer Long

RT     Tyler Polumbus           Morgan Moses

What I expect to start the season:

LT: Williams

LG: lauvao

C: kory

RG: Chester

RT: Polumbus

I think Long replaced Chester in season.

What I really hope happens. And this is based on hoping Moses, leribius and Long are good enough to win jobs, and mcglynn is good at C.

LT: Williams

LG: Luavao

C: Long

RG: Ribs

RT: Moses

Offensive line wasn't horrible last season. The difference between 2012 and 2013 was RG3 holding the ball 2 seconds longer.

Keep telling yourself it was the QB and not the scheme/ Coaches working against him/ piss poor line they built for him et all.

But let's leave well enough alone on last year as that's in the past and has been done to death.

Hail.

LT: Williams- no explanation needed.

LG: Lauvao- As much of a sure starter as Williams at this point.

C: Lict- Not about to start the worst offensive linemen in the league. Mcglynn needs to be faaar away from this team.

RG: Spenser Long- absolute perfect fit for this offense.

RT: Polumbus- if he gives an effort similar to last year, he will be a high quality starter.

I can't predict the starters without seeing two of these guys play at the NFL level, but I will be surprised if Gettis starts.  I know he has been working hard, but that guy ate more pancakes than he handed out since he's been here in pass blocking.

I can't predict the starters without seeing two of these guys play at the NFL level, but I will be surprised if Gettis starts. I know he has been working hard, but that guy ate more pancakes than he handed out since he's been here in pass blocking.

Yeah. Josh and Adam are sadly looking more and more like another in a LONG line of waisted talent/ draft busts.

Can't say I hold out too much more hope for this years line additions but God willing we get at least 1 surprise.

Hail.

Yeah. Josh and Adam are sadly looking more and more like another in a LONG line of waisted talent/ draft busts.

Can't say I hold out too much more hope for this years line additions but God willing we get at least 1 surprise.

Hail.

The one difference I do notice is that MOST of what I hear on these two guys is positive.  The leads are "this guy is huge and recovers well" or "this guy has heavy hands and he works very hard".  The "buts" are also different.  For Moses it's basically "he's good now, but he could be great.  Is he willing to be great".  That's a good problem to have.  For Long it's "His ceiling isn't that high but he'll bust his butt for you and he can do a lot of what he needs to do right now."

For Ribs and Gettis it was "level of competition" or "too big/too small/struggles with weight either way".  And our favorite, "project".

These are the littel things that I'm noticing when I listen to evaluations (not grades) of our picks.  And for me that's a huge difference.

Offensive line wasn't horrible last season. The difference between 2012 and 2013 was RG3 holding the ball 2 seconds longer.

RGIII must continue to develop his pocket skills but apparently you failed to notice there was NO pocket. Our O line was 4 schmos and an all Pro.

RGIII must continue to develop his pocket skills but apparently you failed to notice there was NO pocket. Our O line was 4 schmos and an all Pro.

Having gone back and watched the games again as well as looked at the advanced metrics, I would say that statement is incorrect.

The one difference I do notice is that MOST of what I hear on these two guys is positive.  The leads are "this guy is huge and recovers well" or "this guy has heavy hands and he works very hard".  The "buts" are also different.  For Moses it's basically "he's good now, but he could be great.  Is he willing to be great".  That's a good problem to have.  For Long it's "His ceiling isn't that high but he'll bust his butt for you and he can do a lot of what he needs to do right now."

For Ribs and Gettis it was "level of competition" or "too big/too small/struggles with weight either way".  And our favorite, "project".

These are the littel things that I'm noticing when I listen to evaluations (not grades) of our picks.  And for me that's a huge difference.

I agree.  I am basing my Gettis prediction off of TK saying that Forester loves Gettis.  He could've meant it in a "I love lamp" kinda way. :)

If neither Long nor Moses starts, Murphy plays backup, Breeland is depth, Bolser gets cut, Grant is the 4th/5th receiver, and Kai beats out Hockney...how is that supposed to make me feel?

For me, this draft really hinges on Long and Moses.  If we whiff on those two guys, it will be a major buzz kill.

And I'm not sure if I saw the same games as some people.  I thought our interior line play sucked last year.  The A gap breakdowns were atrocious.  That combined with Griff's injury was a recipe for 3-13. 

On that note, I think you have to have consistently good OL play for the QB to gain confidence.  You can't just have him get smacked around five plays in a row and then on the sixth play say "he had plenty of time!".  Consistent pressure gets in guy's heads.  Last year, it certainly got in Griff's.  That needs to change.

LT                      LG                       C                        RG                     RT

T. Williams               .                          .                          .                         .           

Well, one thing for sure is that the Oline will have a few changes.  I originally thought that 2 rookies may start on the right side of the line....but after reading Gruden's comments from rookie camp, have tamped down that thought.  So...my guess is :

TW, Lauvao, Licht, Long, Polumbus.  

I think Ribeye may have a chance to break into this group as well, based merely on what I have read on various forums about his approach to this season....maintaining his weight and conditioning in the off season...etc.  

And....while some of the issues on O last season were on Robert.....surely there were issues with the Oline specifically in pass protection.  Robert was not the elusive QB in the pocket that he was in '12 thanks to the knee, so he was not able to avoid the rush similiar to '12.  Also, did not help that any WR not wearing #88 was pretty much invisible.....and that does not even take into account ST and D disasters from last season.  

If the Oline was so great, then Gruden would not be shuffling it like a deck of cards.....where only TW is guarenteed a starting job. 

Having gone back and watched the games again as well as looked at the advanced metrics, I would say that statement is incorrect.

My "advanced metrics" show our plays were immediately disrupted at the line way too often. Our plays need a chance to develop.

But I agree RG3, until now, has never had to develop a good sense of the pass rush around him, and last year often held the ball too long as well, which definitely compounds the problem.

I think we've improved the situation, but I'm worried it still isn't enough to allow RG3 the confidence he needs.

Keep telling yourself it was the QB and not the scheme/ Coaches working against him/ piss poor line they built for him et all.

But let's leave well enough alone on last year as that's in the past and has been done to death.

Hail.

Well, the coaches are gone, and so the thought is this group of coaches will work more with him.

But, you're in complete and total denial if you don't think that QB play last year adversely affected the OL. And I'm not piling onto Robert. I think he did his absolute best under the circumstances, and I think this year he's going to be a pro-bowl caliber QB. Just like he was in 2012.

But in 2012, the coaches were able to use Robert's athleticism to simplify the game for him. Last year, he wasn't healthy and had no off-season to speak of. And they couldn't use the same tricks in the second season, so he was asked to run a traditional offense, which he just couldn't do consistently without the benefit of an off-season.

Which lead to him being inconsistent and uncomfortable all season. And that led to him holding onto the ball and missing reads. Which adversely affected the OL, which was not built to hold blocks for 3.5 seconds in a drop-back situation.

So, what we are all hoping is that in Gruden's offense, RGIII releases the ball quickly and in rhythm. Dalton went to his first receiver often, because the scheme got that guy open plenty. And because he was able to go to the first read so often, only the Broncos (with Peyton Freaking Manning) had a lower snap to release average than the Bengals.

If Gruden brings that same type of offense here, and RGIII is able to execute it effectively, the OL is going to look a whole heck of a lot better no matter what.

Add to that some of the bigger guys up front, and they should be ok.

The other thing that is going to help protection is that last year the 'Skins had no answer to the blitz. Morris and Helu weren't very good at picking it up, and RGIII and the receivers were not able to make defenses pay for blitzing.

This year, with 5 legitimate weapons they can put on the field (D. Jackson, Garcon, Roberts, Reed and Morris), there is a good chance that just personnel will dissuade teams from blitzing as much, less a quick toss goes for 80 yards.

There are a ton of questions, and honestly, most of them start with Gruden and then RGIII, and then the personnel on the OL. Nobody knows how this is going to turn out in 2014. But if Robert plays better, more consistently, and most importantly, "faster" in his snap-to-release, then the offense is going to hum.

My "advanced metrics" show our plays were immediately disrupted at the line way too often. Our plays need a chance to develop.

But I agree RG3, until now, has never had to develop a good sense of the pass rush around him, and last year often held the ball too long as well, which definitely compounds the problem.

I think we've improved the situation, but I'm worried it still isn't enough to allow RG3 the confidence he needs.

That is your opinion, but one you can't use as fact to discredit the starting line.

His holding the ball last season was a direct effect of his knee being untested and him not being confident in it.

I'm not going to claim our offensive line will be great, I'm just saying that guys like Polumbus and Kory playing up to 2013 standards wouldn't be as bad as many make it out to be.

What I think will be the case: LT - Williams, LG - Lavaou, C - Kory L., RG - Chester, RT - Moses

I'm going with the hope that Moses does very well this summer and beats out Polumbus for the Right Tackle position. I think eventually during the season Spencer Long will supplant Chester as the Right Guard as well. Either way we should be improved from last season.

RG3 holding the ball did have some effect on the line, but Chester and Montgomery were getting killed up the middle last year. At least when pressure comes from the outside the QB can step up into the pocket. There was no pocket to step into last year.

Tough question

Prediction:

LT-Trent Williams

LG-Lauvao

C--Lichtensteiger

RG-Chris Chester

RT-Tyler Polumbus

Long and Moses try to crack the line-up during the season

My druthers...

LT-Trent Williams

LG-Lauvau

C--Chris Chester