Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter From Dan Snyder: The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation

TK

Mr. Snyder has, and is, extending his hand out to help American Indians and their plight.

There's nothing bad one could say about it on Dan's part; he's doing what government, other nationalities, even the very same native american people hasn't done; help one another.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but I have a feeling that after awhile it will not be enough; on the same lines of giving a stray cat some milk, and the cat continues to show up at the doorstep every day, meowing louder and louder, until it has been satisfied.

I sincerely hope that the charity [ ies ] or whatever form of help actually reach the people in need; unfortunately, we've all seen way too often how monitary donations are filtered through administrative fees etc, and only a fraction of the donation reaches its destination.

I have a feeling that in the short term this would be a good thing, but in the long run greed will take over, and we may be right back at square 1 later down the road.

Nevertheless, Mr. Snyder is showing class, and he should be praised, not ripped by media...

SIC

Transparent or not, it seems like this team is the only one actually doing something.  It's been known how bad those reservations are for years, the same people who complain about the name have done nothing to prevent the actual problems they face, just the superficial ones.  How will changing our name stop the alcoholism and suicides?  It's ironic that those people don't seem to care only to push their agenda, while the "racists" are the only ones actually doing something about it, PR or not, the organization is doing something about it.

Sadly, I don't think it will let the heat off of the Redskins.  But I guess that's less important at the moment, so it's all good.

I can't stand how cynical people are, I really just can't stand it anymore.  He could have just announced that he alone found the cure for cancer, and people would still find a way to trash him over it. 

Snyder is dedicating himself to honoring native americans.  The people shouting for a name change, what are they doing for native americans?  It would have been easy for him to just change the name, and the tradition and pride of the people whose land was taken from would be forgotten.  This is the right thing to do.  Continue to honor and support those that deserve it, and ignore the ones who only bring it up for their own personal benefit. 

This is great news, and makes me proud of our owner.  He of course will face negative press, because he doesn't give them what they want. 

Harjo's *ahem* response to the letter and foundation:

Harjo said the refusal to budge on the name will offset, at least in part, the good that is done with the foundation's money.

"Will (the foundation) do much of anything? No. But it probably won't hurt," Harjo said, "except that it will continue the cycle of negative imaging of Native American people in the public arena."

She has already determined--without knowing (or even needing to know) any specifics about the foundation--that it won't accomplish much of anything. She also feels keeping the name "Redskins" will offset whatever good the foundation achieves!!!

If you want a perfect example of an agenda-driven activist who couldn't give a rat's ass about the people/cause, this would be it. The absolute BEST response from Harjo would be to offer her insight and services in making sure the foundation achieves its goals and helps as many NAs as possible. But she can't put aside her agenda even a little to even do that.

She--and others like her--don't realize it, but by having negative knee-jerk reactions to this idea and effort, they are taking a chance of severely damaging their cause and movement. I mean, what happens when the foundation actually starts showing positive change in the NA community, and as a result those polls taken among NAs about the name "Redskins" suddenly starts swinging in the opposite direction? lol...5 years after the start of the foundation, the majority of NAs polled now don't care quite as much about whether or not the Redskins keep their name. What then? Wait yet another 5 years and see if they can swing the polling numbers back in their favor?

At the rollout, sure. I want to see this 5 years from now being a huge part of the organization's outreach and not another gesture that doesn't materialize to anything of substance after the first set of positive headlines. I think Dan and the organization are genuine enough to do this but time will tell.

Wish he would hire Larry Jent from Fishersville, Va to run his Washington Redskins Origanl Americans Foundation

Harjo's *ahem* response to the letter and foundation:

Harjo said the refusal to budge on the name will offset, at least in part, the good that is done with the foundation's money.

"Will (the foundation) do much of anything? No. But it probably won't hurt," Harjo said, "except that it will continue the cycle of negative imaging of Native American people in the public arena."

She has already determined--without knowing (or even needing to know) any specifics about the foundation--that it won't accomplish much of anything. She also feels keeping the name "Redskins" will offset whatever good the foundation achieves!!!

If you want a perfect example of an agenda-driven activist who couldn't give a rat's ass about the people/cause, this would be it. The absolute BEST response from Harjo would be to offer her insight and services in making sure the foundation achieves its goals and helps as many NAs as possible. But she can't put aside her agenda even a little to even do that.

She--and others like her--don't realize it, but by having negative knee-jerk reactions to this idea and effort, they are taking a chance of severely damaging their cause and movement. I mean, what happens when the foundation actually starts showing positive change in the NA community, and as a result those polls taken among NAs about the name "Redskins" suddenly starts swinging in the opposite direction? lol...5 years after the start of the foundation, the majority of NAs polled now don't care quite as much about whether or not the Redskins keep their name. What then? Wait yet another 5 years and see if they can swing the polling numbers back in their favor?

Smh she's an idiot.

It would only make her look bad in the end, in which I hope it will. She's so focused on the name that she's willing to discredit the potentially amazing foundation this can turn into, that will help the sole people she's trying to "defend". gtfo.smh

susan harjo is a radical- and quite possibly racist- lunatic. the sooner she and opportunist charlatans like ray halbritter are exposed, the better off the world will be. 

I try to see the best in people and I'll follow that thinking with respect to Mr. Snyder's letter and the work of this foundation.  It's a good thing no matter what to help out those in need.  

There is already a strong contingent of native Skin fans here in the southwest (New Mexico) and I am proud that my fellow New Mexicans made such a strong impression on management.  I've always know that Pueblo, Navajo and Apache tribes had large numbers of Redskin fans just by seeing the hats, license plates and jerseys.  It's good to see my personal observations borne out by others. If this foundation works as it can we will only see more support from our namesake communities.

Hail!

Buy a tractor and throw some jackets on them. Problem solved.

Except you forget the part where he actually went and talked to them and spent time with them. He didn't just sit in his office and order his assistant to "start a foundation" so they'd get off his back. And he visited quite a many of them, not just a couple and then called it a day. Sheesh!

more wackiness, courtesy of my favorite, delusional activist-

-------------------------------------------------------------------

......"Some but not all Native American condemnation of "squaw" results from claims that it comes from a word for the vagina.

An early comment in which "squaw" appears to have a sexual meaning is from the Canadian writer Pauline Johnson (1892), whose father was a Mohawk chief. She wrote about the title character in An Algonquin Maiden by G. Mercer Adam and A. Ethelwyn Wetherald:

Poor little Wanda! not only is she non-descript and ill-starred, but as usual the authors take away her love, her life, and last and most terrible of all, reputation; for they permit a crowd of men-friends of the hero to call her a "squaw" and neither hero nor authors deny that she is a squaw. It is almost too sad when so much prejudice exists against the Indians, that any one should write up an Indian heroine with such glaring accusations against her virtue, and no contradictory statements from either writer, hero or circumstance.

Explicit statements that "squaw" came from a word meaning "female genitals" gained currency in the 1970s. Perhaps the first example was in Sanders and Peek (1973):

That curious concept of 'squaw', the enslaved, demeaned, voiceless childbearer, existed and exists only in the mind of the non-Native American and is probably a French corruption of the Iroquois wordotsiskwa [also spelled ojiskwa] meaning 'female sexual parts', a word almost clinical both denotatively and connotatively. The corruption suggests nothing about the Native American's attitude toward women; it does indicate the wasichu's [white man's[3]] view of Native American women in particular if not all women in general.

The controversy increased when Oprah Winfrey invited the Native American activist Suzan Harjo onto her show in 1992. Harjo said on the show that "squaw is an Algonquin Indian word meaning vagina." As a result of these claims, some Native people have taken to spelling the word sq***, or calling it the "s-word" (Bright n.d.). This purported etymology has been widely adopted as the rationale for removing the word from maps, road signs, history books, and other public uses (Adams 2000).

However, according to Ives Goddard, the curator and senior linguist in the anthropology department of the Smithsonian Institution, this statement is not true (Bright n. d.; Goddard 1997). The word was borrowed as early as 1621 from the Massachusett word squa (Cutler 1994; Goddard 1996, 1997), one of many variants of the Proto-Algonquian *eθkwe·wa[4] (Goddard 1997); in those languages it meant simply "young woman." Although Algonquian linguists and historians (e.g. Goddard 1997, Bruchac 1999) have rejected Harjo's proposed etymology, it has been repeated by several journalists (e.g. Oprah Winfrey).

Goddard also writes:

I have no doubt that some speakers of Mohawk sincerely believe that it is from their word ojískwa 'vagina' (though I know that other Mohawks laugh at the whole idea), but the resemblance (if there is one) is entirely accidental. "Vagina" was not a meaning that was ever known to the original users of the word, and although it appears in a college anthology published in 1973 (Random House, 2000), it was not widely known before Suzan Harjo's appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 1992."

Goddard does not rule out the possibility that the false etymology could have been believed by some non-Mohawks and thus does not rebut statements by Native people who trace the etymology to local memories of insulting language (e.g., Hagengruber 2006)."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:v7e76aFE0vYJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you cant make this stuff up. shes completely wrong about the origin of the word 'redskin', equally wrong about the word 'squaw'......whats next? 

what a lunatic. 

Grego,

to anyone with a hair of common sense, its clear she's just using this as her platform for her 5 minutes of fame.

Let any form of law enforcement official try to enter dedicated indian land, and their laws are useless. Nothing can be enforced without permission from a chief to do so; so they demanded separation, yet want inclusion into mainstream society's business affairs. Can't have it both ways.

The problems they have are caused by their own people, and using these problems as a leverage tool to reap the benefits from the outside world borders gypsy tactics. 

Snyder should invest in media-oriented affairs and use it as a leverage tool to discourage media involvement with the likes of Suzan and other profiteering racket groups.

The letter is a bunch of fluff but they are still my team #HTTR!!!

Like the hundreds of millions of dollars of fluff Dan Snyder has raised for children's health issues, cancer and all the local service providers through the Redskins Charitable Foundation which HE created? IF he does not follow through on it, it is fluff. But based on his track record, he and his wife have raised hundreds of millions of dollars to help children, victims of cancer and all the people helped through the Redskins Charitable Foundation. He already has over 40 projects in the works for Native Americans and you consider it fluff. Wonder what you consider "significant"....

Dan's new foundations is a welcome positive step towards helping Native Americans. Would it have been better "timing" for all his naysayers if he had done it when he first purchased the team? Sure. But the man was busy raising and donating hundreds of millions of dollars for a children's hospital, cancer victims, hundreds, maybe thousands, of youth community groups in the DC area through the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation that HE founded not to mention major donations to victims of 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina among others.

So what if the name debate raised his awareness of  the problems facing the Native Americans in this country. He stepped up, met with Native American tribes face to face to find out what he and the Redskins could do to help. When was the last time YOU stepped up to help an entire ethnic group in a substantial way?

All you haters who are hating on Dan Snyder or for that matter any other generous person who is willing to put his/her money where his mouth is are the ones who should be hated. Well, I hate people who refuse to acknowledge the good that people do; haters who always want to create their own excuse for someone's generosity; haters who are so narrow minded that winning (at change the name) is more important than admitting someone did something good.

Hate the Redskins name all you want. You only make yourself look like the fool you are when you ridicule Dan Snyder or anyone else who is working to improve social problems for another group of people. My experience is the complainers like you are the least likely people to step up and help others. It is much easier for you to hide behind a fake name and criticize others who do far more than you ever have in your entire life to help others.

Ya know, I've known for some time that Snyder does many things without fanfare because they interest him, not because he wants recognition for it -- especially recognition that comes with cynicism. But, since he's announced this initiative, I'm gonna post a link here that some might find enlightening.

"Lakota on Path to Recapture Language

PINE RIDGE, S.D., March 15, 2006 (AScribe Newswire) -- The Lakota Sioux language, made famous through its portrayal in the 1990 film "Dances with Wolves," is now one of only a small handful of Native American languages with enough remaining speakers to survive into the next generation, announced a major language organization. Lakota is currently one of the last major Native American language hold-outs in what is a worldwide crisis of linguistic extinctions.

To keep the Lakota language from disappearing completely, an ambitious revitalization campaign has been organized by a group of tribal leaders and linguists. The campaign is spearheaded by the nonprofit Lakota Language Consortium, which develops the Lakota-language teaching materials used in 23 area schools and which trains language teachers.

He also cites several other unique donors to the Lakota language, including the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation and Sioux Tools. Meya notes that the sports franchise, in particular, "is committed to helping the Lakota language and is a very proud supporter of our cause." 

You can find the entire release here:  http://www.ogmios.org/ogmios_files/293.htm

Going back as far as 2006 Snyder was helping create, print, and distribute textbooks to keep this language alive ... all behind the scenes. Maybe it's time to give the organization, and its owner, its due for sometimes being more than we ever know.

I just emailed Senator Maria Cantwell.  She's the senator from Washington who is also on the Indian Affairs committee.  I sent her a link to the letter from Daniel Snyder.  I asked her what changing the name of a football team would do.  How would it help Native Americans. 

I'd really like to know from someone who wants the Redskins name changed what they feel it would accomplish?  I'm serious, not being sarcastic.  How would it help?  Once the name is changed, then what? 

Except you forget the part where he actually went and talked to them and spent time with them. He didn't just sit in his office and order his assistant to "start a foundation" so they'd get off his back. And he visited quite a many of them, not just a couple and then called it a day. Sheesh!

well, I'm glad he met some of "them". Dan met poor people. Good for him. After all this time and racist name talk, he visited some Indians. Nobody sees the hypocracy in this?

I really don't have a horse in this race. I've been a fan of this team my entire life. Change the name or don't. I really don't care.

I'm glad a very rich man's eyes were opened to poverty. I hope he's genually better for it. But the name of a team, who plays a game, isn't that important.

Archived