Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld.com: The NFL's Best GMs

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms?pg=3

28. Bruce Allen - Redskins

The difference between Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder? Jones at least admits he wants to run things, and doesn’t bother funneling his moves through a puppet general manager. Snyder also has a shorter attention span. From what we can gather, he only seems interested in meddling with the big moves. But meddle he does, making a mess of his once-storied franchise, and making Allen extremely difficult to evaluate on his own merits. Under Allen/Snyder’s guidance, the Redskins have gotten extremely little bang for their buck, running up huge cap charges while nevertheless fielding one of the league’s thinnest rosters. That’s due in part to the duo’s cheating. They dumped an illegal amount of money into the uncapped year of 2010, resulting in the loss of $36 million in cap space to be spread out over 2012-13. The money is back for 2014, but coach Mike Shanahan is gone. It was alongside Shanny that Allen oversaw four relatively strong draft classes. Allen is also absent the Redskins’ No. 2 overall pick in May’s draft, the final price for the 2012 Robert Griffin III trade. Moths to the big-name flame, there’s little doubt Allen and Snyder will look to compensate for the absence of their first-rounder by spending big in free agency. There’s also little doubt that like the duo’s previous spending sprees, it will result in more “offseason victories” than actual wins.

Snyder and Allen's previous spending sprees?...They ran up huge cap charges?...

Am I missing something? lol

Wash, rinse and repeat by the media. All they did was change the date and a couple of names to the same article they wrote in 1999. They've been hammering the same lines for 15 years. Sad thing is, some of our fans believe them and believe the team is run the same way for 15 years.

We've ran up ridiculous SMALL cap chargers un Allen's tenure here.

We've been relatively well constrained during free agency under Allen's tenure.

And one is not acting unfairly if they are doing something every other team was legally allowed to do, so the entire notion of them "Cheating" is ridiculous.

On the contrary, Allen made some EXCELLENT moves as GM that were entirely within the rules of the league, and because he did them too well the team got penalized unjustly and arguably illegally.

Yeah I am going to trust the "analysis" of a "professional writer/reporter" whose picture looks like its of some random dude from my seventh grade yearbook. Hey, look at me I can post comments on a message board....I can be a writer like this guy too...YAYYYYY!!!

Wow... that. Was. Awful.

Could've focused on about a hundred other things if he wanted to talk about Allen, but absolutely none of that was relevant. Yeesh, lol.

He could've also just said that it's hard to judge Allen as a Redskin, and focused on his time with the Bucs instead, because Shanny was in control for his tenure, but we'll find out more moving on. Could've also focused on Allen's ability to structure contracts well and not overpay for guys since he's been here.

Can't believe how off that was.

The author's right. That darn Allen has been awful. Can't believe he just signed Haynesworth to a 100 mil deal the other day and hired Jim Zorn as HC. 

He's also right that not breaking any written rules but going against illegal collusion (the actual cheating) is cheating.

Author must be Mara's inbred cousin.

The article is poorly written, sure.  I don't agree with the reasons they put Bruce at 28, they don't make any sense.  But how much higher than 28 does Bruce need to be?

I think Bruce gets the inevitable "Vinny" bump from our fanbase.  We were so happy to see him go, that we heap, in my opinion, undo amounts of praise on Bruce.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I think some of the salary cap penalty falls directly on Bruce.  I'm not gonna rehash that whole argument here.

My question would be, where would you rank Bruce?  If we open up FA tomorrow by signing Talib and Sproles to big deals, I think 28 would be about right.

The article is poorly written, sure.  I don't agree with the reasons they put Bruce at 28, they don't make any sense.  But how much higher than 28 does Bruce need to be?

I think Bruce gets the inevitable "Vinny" bump from our fanbase.  We were so happy to see him go, that we heap, in my opinion, undo amounts of praise on Bruce.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I think some of the salary cap penalty falls directly on Bruce.  I'm not gonna rehash that whole argument here.

My question would be, where would you rank Bruce?  If we open up FA tomorrow by signing Talib and Sproles to big deals, I think 28 would be about right.

But Allen hasn't done that yet..so based on what he has done so far, where would you rank him?

Sorry for getting ahead of myself, Cali.  I truly hope we make some great moves this year.  I'm definitely a blind homer in a lot of ways. :)

I would slate him around 23.  Regardless of what Shanny did, had control over, whatever...Bruce has been the GM of our team the last four years.  And our finish last year was among the worst displays of football I have ever watched in DC.  He has to take some blame for that hot garbage.

Archived