Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

On 9/30/2016 at 9:15 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:
On 9/30/2016 at 7:21 PM, ixcuincle said:

I don't. Radio package. 

Almost never watch Nats baseball on TV because of the cord cutting. It's possible but there are so many problems  and if you all think I'm buying a VPN you're nuts. 

Does VPN allow you to see that stuff? I mean sites like http://www.couchtuner.site/ are good to go for tv shows, but can we really watch sports using a VPN? how much its gonna cost? looks like I'll have to start my search all over again like I did for my TV fix.

TV watching habits are changing... I think local sports is taking the same hit the NFL is (have not seen this confirmed anywhere).  It is the young demographics, not the old.

As a 10 year old, through 22 year old I would watch Redskins every Sunday afternoon with my family.  I would watch College Football as well.  I watched baseball, basketball and hockey.

My family has cut the cord for awhile, and my kids just fill that with YouTube and Minecraft -- not sports.  Ages 22 to 30 I downloaded Redskins during the week, but now its enough to see highlights and follow the season.  I am busy on Sundays and most days doing family stuff.  

I think this is a positive for my family and society... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah, the only real holdup is streaming live local networks so I can ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX for the live sports

It's getting close to happening but doesn't seem to ready quite yet..

why not just get a digital antenna?

I got an HD one, and I watch local TV with no problem. Plus it has a 50 mile radius, so I get Bmore channels too.

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

why not just get a digital antenna?

I got an HD one, and I watch local TV with no problem. Plus it has a 50 mile radius, so I get Bmore channels too.

I did and it doesn't pick up very well which is odd since I am on the top floor of my apartment building. It picks up better if I move it around but then i have the ugly cable cord running across my wall to the window. It comes and goes too, I feel like I am always scanning the channels again to pick the signals back up. 

I got the highest rated one at best buy too going by various online rankings and reviews. and it's annoying have to switch inputs to go from espn to abc or something. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I did and it doesn't pick up very well which is odd since I am on the top floor of my apartment building. It picks up better if I move it around but then i have the ugly cable cord running across my wall to the window. It comes and goes too, I feel like I am always scanning the channels again to pick the signals back up. 

I got the highest rated one at best buy too going by various online rankings and reviews. and it's annoying have to switch inputs to go from espn to abc or something. 

i hope you didnt pay an arm and a leg for it from Best Buy.

This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/Sobetter-Amplified-Detachable-Amplifier-9-8-Feet/dp/B01DD2DDDW

Its perfect. I just put it near the window and I get everything locally in DC and Bmore.

24 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/Sobetter-Amplified-Detachable-Amplifier-9-8-Feet/dp/B01DD2DDDW

Its perfect. I just put it near the window and I get everything locally in DC and Bmore.

Wish I could get over the air TV. I'm in Germantown at the bottom of a hill. (on an antenna "map", right where my house is, there's a purple spot, meaning 'no reception') Tried a cheap, flat antenna and got nothing. I might be able to get something if I had a better antenna and stuck in in the attic, which is basically even with the top of the hill . 

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is what I got:

It was the winegard flat wave leaf thing, $65 and has a 60mile range. 

Wife and I just bought our first home (used to rent). We really want to be able to save some money and we've struggled with the thought of cord-cutting for some time. Haven't been able to make the jump yet. We currently have a pretty crappy xfinity package. I feel handicapped by still having to pay for decent internet. I would love to have a roku, sling, etc., but I'm not sure how to break away from xfinity without them charging me double for internet. How are you all making the switch if you already have an xfinity double play or something?

I have Verizon FIOS, and I'm paying way too much. I tried to go with Playstation Vue for TV, but I found the product not to be quite there yet in being a true replacement for one of the big providers. There isn't a true DVR feature, shows you have saved disappear after a week instead of when you choose. The HD quality is mediocre, and when used on a Roku it lacks some functionality. 

I'm keeping it until the season is over because I got the RedZone with it. 

16 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

I'm stuck. I can't just downgrade to having internet-only as it will cause the price of internet to skyrocket. The tv portion of my package is worthless. Does anyone actually have streaming services and reliable internet for under $100?

I have netflix, amazon and hulu and att pro max internet(trying to cap me at 600 though) for just under it

probably gonna switch to comcast

add

they must have listened to the complaints , cap is now 1025 :chair:

Edited by twa

3 hours ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

I'm stuck. I can't just downgrade to having internet-only as it will cause the price of internet to skyrocket. The tv portion of my package is worthless. Does anyone actually have streaming services and reliable internet for under $100?

I pay $75 for internet and Tv from FIOS.  I had Comcast and FIOS came out with a $49 internet only deal.  Then they enticed for $25 more for TV. 

If not for the wife I would be internet only with antenna and Amazon Fire with Kodi.  I am not a big TV watcher.

Edited by TimmySmith

17 hours ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Wife and I just bought our first home (used to rent). We really want to be able to save some money and we've struggled with the thought of cord-cutting for some time. Haven't been able to make the jump yet. We currently have a pretty crappy xfinity package. I feel handicapped by still having to pay for decent internet. I would love to have a roku, sling, etc., but I'm not sure how to break away from xfinity without them charging me double for internet. How are you all making the switch if you already have an xfinity double play or something?

Have you actually looked to see how much your Internet will go up?   It's really not a whole lot usually,  especially compared to the eliminated cost of cable. 

15 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

I pay $75 for internet and Tv from FIOS.  I had Comcast and FIOS came out with a $49 internet only deal.  Then they enticed for $25 more for TV. 

If not for the wife I would be internet only with antenna and Amazon Fire with Kodi.  I am not a big TV watcher.

Isn't there a charge for boxes (HD, hd/dvr, etc)? I've had relatively low monthly deals, but then you get fee'd and surcharged and taxed to death and you end up paying a ton in the end. 

• Like 1

Hey peeps, I could use some help making a decision.  Wanting to get internet hooked up at my apartment.  Have an 11 year old desktop computer (Gateway 835GM - Pentium D processor - Windows XP).  It's a lil wonky and not up to date with virus protection. Is it fine to run the internet in to that, or should I opt for a cheap new laptop?  Do I Even need a computer to have the internet?  I want to connect via Xbox more than anything.

1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Hey peeps, I could use some help making a decision.  Wanting to get internet hooked up at my apartment.  Have an 11 year old desktop computer (Gateway 835GM - Pentium D processor - Windows XP).  It's a lil wonky and not up to date with virus protection. Is it fine to run the internet in to that, or should I opt for a cheap new laptop?  Do I Even need a computer to have the internet?  I want to connect via Xbox more than anything.

If you browse the web on your phone or tablet and use the xbox for content (movies, tv etc) then there's no reason to have a computer if you don't want one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

You don't need a computer except for the initial set-up (maybe) and if you ever needed to go into the router settings later and tweak them. Just tell the ISP that your computer is extremely old and to have the tech bring a laptop to set everything up that you only are going to use the connection for gaming and wireless.  

In the past 3-4 years, the only time I've needed to get into the router settings was to change my password for wireless.  Your old PC will be fine to surf it you want it for that.  Like TWA said, just pop on an anti-virus, might consider the free version of Malwarebytes too.

And if you want something newer just to surf the internet on, you might consider a chromebook.  It's like a laptop, but basically built for surfing, only wireless connection, cloud storage if you need it.  Got my daughter one for her birthday, you can get decent ones for $200 or less.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Cord cutting is the worst during Redskins games when you can't even watch clearly. Happened last Sunday. Kept trying to watch and kept getting interference because it was gusty outside  you'd see cousins drop back and then a bunch of boxes. Can't tell what happened. 

Would gladly pay for cable during football season. All I want is to watch the Redskins live without interference. Yes the game was also on vue. But it's behind by like thirty seconds. **** that. 

@KAOSkins @twa @Dont Taze Me Bro

Thanks for the feedback fellas.  

- Does it cost extra for a router?  Can I go ethernet with the Xbox?  I'm totally for some wifi, but only if it doesn't cost too much. 

Want to avoid buying a new tablet or laptop.  If I have to, I will, but this ole dinosaur is alive and kicking right now and I'm doing maintenance on it - making space on the hard drive, running maintenance programs, and dusting/resetting the connections inside of the CPU.  The monitor wouldn't turn on for a week and the CPU would beep 3 times at me when I turned it on.  So I opened the side of it up and started unplugging and plugging back everything.  Even the lil battery in there.  Ever since then it's run extremely well.  Let me just jinx it.

I plan to surf the net with it.  Will get the free anti-virus program.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

56 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

@KAOSkins @twa @Dont Taze Me Bro

Thanks for the feedback fellas.  

- Does it cost extra for a router?  Can I go ethernet with the Xbox?  I'm totally for some wifi, but only if it doesn't cost too much. 

Want to avoid buying a new tablet or laptop.  If I have to, I will, but this ole dinosaur is alive and kicking right now and I'm doing maintenance on it - making space on the hard drive, running maintenance programs, and dusting/resetting the connections inside of the CPU.  The monitor wouldn't turn on for a week and the CPU would beep 3 times at me when I turned it on.  So I opened the side of it up and started unplugging and plugging back everything.  Even the lil battery in there.  Ever since then it's run extremely well.  Let me just jinx it.

I plan to surf the net with it.  Will get the free anti-virus program.

Both DSL and Cable where I'm at, the modem has 4 ethernet ports and has wireless built into it.  

@d0ublestr0ker0ll you may have to rent a modem or router depending on the provider. If you want a wireless signal for your phone (cut down data usage) and tablets etc, I'd recommend buying your own router. You Can get one that will meet all your needs for around $50-100 depending on how strong a signal you want and other features.

You don't need a CPU for a router either. I've set my last 3 up on my phone and if there are any issues I can troubleshoot it from my phone automatically. No need for CD installations or software anymore. Once connected if you lose a signal and try to get online on your phone it takes you right to the specific router settings page where you can change passwords and other stuff. No issues Doug that and more convenient than using a computer for me. 

If you only want it for Xbox you should be able to just ethernet right into the Xbox with no router at all

• Like 1