Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So if the skins still had their #1 pick, who would we be drooling over?

HogHeaven1983

I saw this mock draft and it made me wonder who we'd be wishing the skins would take.  I am betting a lot of people on this board dont like Clowney due to his "effort and motivation" concerns.  

I wonder if a lot of people might be clammoring for a trade down to a team that wanted one of the top QB's?  Picking up more picks would be good since the Redskins are loaded with holes all over. I guess one of the two OT's would be pretty safe too.  The main thing is you dont want to BUST with the #2 pick in the draft (aka Ryan Leaf).

MOCK DRAFT:

1. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (6-feet-2, 205 pounds, Jr.): Yes, his slender frame isn't ideal and his deep ball accuracy needs work. But Bridgewater succeeds with his mobility, arm talent and efficient ability above the neck. He is a pro-style passer who is grounded, mature and has shown the ability to easily digest information.

2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina (6-5, 274, Jr.): A freak athlete with a very high NFL ceiling, Clowney has an explosive first step and accelerates quickly up the field to effectively disrupt the offensive game plan. The effort concerns are real, but the potential and natural talent make the risk worth it.

3. Gregory Robinson, OT, Auburn (6-5, 320, rSoph.): A two-year starter at left tackle, Robinson is an impressive athlete for his large frame with the quickness, agility and overall body control to cover a large area. His pass protection is still developing, but he is a devastating run blocker with a mean punch.

4. Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo (6-3, 248 rSr.): A versatile, relentless pass rusher, Mack was extremely productive in college and holds several career NCAA records, including forced fumbles (16) and tackles for loss (75). He is always around the ball with his combination of speed, power and awareness.

5. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (6-5, 305, Sr.): Probably the "safest" prospect in this class, Matthews started three seasons at right tackle before moving to the left side in 2013. He is a technically sound blocker with good quickness and balance to protect the pocket against speed and hold up in space.

6. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA (6-4, 248, Sr.): A former running back, Barr moved to pass rusher last season and excelled for the Bruins, totaling 41½ tackles for loss the past two seasons. He needs to refine some technical aspects of his game, but his speed and strength off the edge are exciting.

I honestly don't think there are that many elite prospects at the top of this draft.  Question marks on all of them, which makes losing out on this pick a little bit easier to stomach.  Same with last year's draft.  We lucked into giving up picks with drafts centered around the depth of the class rather than drafts strong in top-end talent.

Khalil Mack is probably the best player ive scouted in this entire draft other than Jake Matthews. Clowney has some elite traits too, but will probably go number 1. Barr has some painfully bad tape. Like 5th round ****. 

Barr has some bad tape because it was his first year at the position. Of course he is going to make some mistakes. Mack would be fine too. It just depends who would trade what. 

Barr has some bad tape because it was his first year at the position. Of course he is going to make some mistakes. Mack would be fine too. It just depends who would trade what. 

It was his 2nd year, and it didn't stem from inexperience, it was from lack of strength and any sort of pass rushing move. 

I honestly don't think there are that many elite prospects at the top of this draft.  Question marks on all of them, which makes losing out on this pick a little bit easier to stomach.  Same with last year's draft.  We lucked into giving up picks with drafts centered around the depth of the class rather than drafts strong in top-end talent.

No question marks on the play of Clowney, Matthews, Mack, Watkins or Robinson. All of those guys will come in and start and most likely be quality players, the real question marks are with the QBs and "athletes". 

I don't know if I have ever seen such a burst off the line from such a huge guy. The quickness in which he beats guys is incredible. 

Julius Peppers.

But I would also take Clowney, and then pair him up with Orakpo. Either switch to a 4-3 or teach Clowney how to play OLB in the 3-4. Trade Kerrigan or beef him up to play DE in the 3-4.

Clowney is the obvious choice, but do we take him as an Orakpo replacement, and save the 5M, or re-sign Orakpo, and address another position.

Personally, I'd probably see what we could get in a trade-down involving Clowney.  Then target one of Sammy Watwins, Marquise Lee, Justin Gilbert, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Timmy Jernigan, CJ Mosley, Stephen Tuitt, or one of the tackles.  No guards are really rated high enough to entertain until the late 1st.

Archived