Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So if the skins still had their #1 pick, who would we be drooling over?

HogHeaven1983

Assuming we still had Robert, I think I'd be in the pro-trade back crowd.  Don't see us needing to use that high a pick on an OL and think we'd do better if we could parlay that into a couple of picks to focus on OL.  Only other big needs are ILB or WR and I don't see anybody worth that high of a pick.  In any case, I'm a big believer that OL is more of a numbers game.

This!

5. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (6-5, 305, Sr.): Probably the "safest" prospect in this class, Matthews started three seasons at right tackle before moving to the left side in 2013. He is a technically sound blocker with good quickness and balance to protect the pocket against speed and hold up in space.

As some have said, can't keep neglecting the O line..give that young man(RG3) all the help and time he can get! he needs it while he's learning the position...heck a QB just needs it. So much invested into what we hope is the franchise QB, give him every opportunity to make good on that and succeed. Too bad it's not a real option. The Oline still needs to be addressed.

edit: I agree on trading down,didn't realize it was an option, I thought you had to pick a player.

There's no question with as many holes as we have you'd want to trade down a few spots because we'd pick up additional high picks and could still get a RT or Watkins at WR. Ideally trade back a couple times to around #10 or so if you can find the partners. I wouldn't feel too good about Clowney's lack of drive or any of the other defensive players. And I couldn't justify spending a top 5 pick on a RT. 

TRADE DOWN!!!!

We really picked the perfect year to trade our pics because the talent in this year and last year's drafts was pretty slim. In fact even two years ago the draft was mediocre at the top except for Griffin and Luck.  In that draft the Rams traded our first round pick to Dallas (Claiborne). And last year they traded our first round pick to Atlanta (Desmond Trufant). In both drafts there were no players that the Rams liked to draft in our slots. And Claiborne and Trufant arnt great players for their teams right now. This year's draft is actually worse as far as talent at the top. So if we had the 2nd overall pick, I'd trade down just like the Rams are going to do again...

A stud WR like Watkins would be useless if their is no one to give RG3 time to throw.

As someone said, we neglect the OL every year. Mathews would be the obvious choice. Clowney has bust written all over him.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you there.  I just think the difference between a league average WR and an elite WR makes more of an impact on not only our offense but the development of RGIII than the difference between a league average RT and an elite one.

In this hypothetical we would be in a position to address both spots.

The new rookie scale helps, but I still think you want to trade down if you want to build a long-term successful team.

Seattle has done what we know is right - build a big chunk of your roster through mid-round picks that are on cheap first contracts. 

If 35+ of your players are on a first contract, you can afford to pay a few of the top tier "core Redskins."

Archived