Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 AL East Champs Baltimore Orioles Thread

MattFancy

http://grantland.com/features/baltimore-orioles-offseason-spending-al-east/

Really good read. Kinda long though. Makes me despise Angelos even more. This team is sitting on money and not spending while the rest of the division is improving. It's not like Angelos doesn't have the money. The Nats, who are getting completely shafted in the MASN deal, are busy spending while we just stand idly by. Yay O's!

Really good read. Kinda long though. Makes me despise Angelos even more. This team is sitting on money and not spending while the rest of the division is improving. It's not like Angelos doesn't have the money. The Nats, who are getting completely shafted in the MASN deal, are busy spending while we just stand idly by. Yay O's!

That is a very well-written article. It's a little depressing, but it is what it is I guess. I'm hoping for another year of over-achievement but have a bad feeling that 2012-13 will be brief oasis like 1996-97 were.

I didn't read it at all as a slight against angelos. In fact, I feel like it made a lot of his moves, or lack of moves, as being prudent, and better for the team ultimately. We didn't get saddled with a poor contract for Teixeira. Made good moves in dealing away guthrie and bedard.

sure, we're a few guys away from truly contending...or we might not be depending on how our current roster plays out. Signing a big name isn't a guarantee for future success.

The article even went on to point out DD's history of finding cheap talent, and previous GM's stating Angelos didn't have an edict not to spend.

Pretty compelling article.  They have to realize that the fans aren't saying go out and outspend the Yankees or Red Sox, but it's OK to make a splash on a player or two.  I don't mind being frugal in some areas, but we shouldn't have to spend as little as KC or Miami. 

And yeah, we got Vladi.  Just at the end of his career when he wasn't worth a crap.

Not a O's guy. But my pal Rictus is....and we talk Os/Nats during the season. I was looking on sportslogos.net last night and they had updated some older O's stuff. So, I decided to put together what I think would be my fav O's Uni look.

Figure most O's fans won't agree......but its a messageboard. So, I'll share.

Jersey font/script

9760_baltimore_orioles-jersey-1954.png

Shoulder logo

lalqok5u1hvc8e6s42cwge1rv.gif

Hat

kkepsdivkhkppefeu2w1kixh2.png

Something of a "Silver Age" of Baseball look. Maybe the Nats fan in me likes the hats with a letter for their city. I don't know. Either way, I like the possibilities and more enjoyable to talk about than hating offseason moves, or the owner or whatever.

Cheers

Not very fond of any of those.

This offseason has been pretty bad, and I am frustrated that not only are we not getting quality free agents, we're also irritating players through bs physicals. People aready dont want to play in Baltimore and now even more so.

I also think we should have gotten more for jj. I think he'll have a good season.

Oday is solid, and I think hunter will do well in his role if he's closing.

I hung out in Baltimore this past weekend, the first time I've been there since the O's season ended in September. I get some Orioles cross-talk in Montgomery County and I read the O's articles on the Baltimore Sun online, but being in some downtown bars and talking to fans really made clear how disgusted the base is with management's apathy this offseason.

Worst ****ing offseason ever.  

Shouldn't have expected anything, should have known better.  2012 was the worst thing that could have happened to this franchise....they won 93? games and almost beat the Yankees in the playoffs.  Honestly, I think that's all Angelos needed to see.  Do all that and not have to spend a ton?  Won't spend a dollar more.  

I really think they should trade Davis and Weiters for prospects. I do not believe either of them will be resigned by the O's. Why not get a couple of high end prospects for them? This way the Orioles will be ready to make another run when Bundy, Gausman, Harvey and Rodriguez are ready to pitch. If you add Tillman to the rotation and if they reach their ceilings (or close to it) they will have a formidable rotation (I know, it sound familiar to me too). Why not get some bats to go along with Jones, Machado and Schoop (hopefully)? If they are terrible this year, maybe they will be in position to draft another high ceiling bat. 

I don't understand what they are doing. They are not spending money to improve the team. They are not trading for the future. They are going to ride out the next two years of mediocrity and then let the wheels come off. I do not see a direction or a plan for this team.

For the record, I would prefer they keep the core together and spend money and improve the team. 

It has been so incredibly frustrating this off-season cause the front office created expectations that they would do something. I don't mind that they didn't overspend on some of these players, but it sucks they have virtually nothing except dump salary. Especially when they are so close to getting back to the playoffs.

They seem to either lack direction or good PR sense.

In general, I'm so tired of watching all my teams do seemingly obvious dumb moves year after year.

I really think they should trade Davis and Weiters for prospects. I do not believe either of them will be resigned by the O's. Why not get a couple of high end prospects for them? This way the Orioles will be ready to make another run when Bundy, Gausman, Harvey and Rodriguez are ready to pitch. If you add Tillman to the rotation and if they reach their ceilings (or close to it) they will have a formidable rotation (I know, it sound familiar to me too). Why not get some bats to go along with Jones, Machado and Schoop (hopefully)? If they are terrible this year, maybe they will be in position to draft another high ceiling bat. 

I don't understand what they are doing. They are not spending money to improve the team. They are not trading for the future. They are going to ride out the next two years of mediocrity and then let the wheels come off. I do not see a direction or a plan for this team.

For the record, I would prefer they keep the core together and spend money and improve the team. 

Completely understand what you're saying.

Either spend the money now while this team's window is still open or start trading away guys for prospects. The whole standing pat thing isn't going to work. I still don't think we've signed 1 guy to a major league contract this offseason. I understood trading Johnson, but what exactly did we trade him for? Is Hunter the answer at closer? Someone else? All trading Johnson did so far is leave a huge hole at the closer spot.

We've needed a 2B and DH now for a few years, why have they still not been addressed? Jamelle Weeks is going to be our guy? Flaherty? Who is going to DH?

Don't even get me started on the rotation.

I haven't figured out many moves this team has made over the past couple of seasons. It really does seem like they have no idea where they want to go. The only good move was extending Jones.

Jobaga, I pretty much agree. They need to **** or get off the pot. If they aren't going to try to improve an 85-win team, then they should focus on getting value for their assets and hope to build a strong team for the future. If they don't want to trade away their stars now, then they should add some payroll and try to take advantage of the talent they have.

The worst thing to do is to hope that this average team can catch lightning in a bottle like they did in 2012 and go on a magical run to a World Series. Anything it possible, but that's not something you make decisions around.

I haven't figured out many moves this team has made over the past couple of seasons. It really does seem like they have no idea where they want to go. The only good move was extending Jones.

If they keep this up, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones asks to be traded (a couple of years down the road). Jones seems very loyal and committed to Baltimore, but I can see where he would get frustrated.

We had our two year run.  Guess we'll be battling the Jays for the basement again.  Sigh!! :(

It certainly looks that way.

Some people think that we got "unlucky" last year and probably should have been closer to 90 wins. I can see that on one hand when you consider the blown saves, etc. But I also don't think you can count on a season like Davis had either. So, in a way that cancels out some of the bad fortune we had.

I see this team challenging for a third straight .500+ season as a best-case scenario.

Archived