Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Larry Fitzgerald, not Pierre Garçon, gets Pro Bowl nod

TexasSkinsFan

The Browns were 4 and 12 this year yet had 5 players named to the All Pro, much harder to get that distinction over the probowl. Dont think that the teams records play a part here all that much. Pretty sure this is because of the TD difference which upsets me.

I want to watch the probowl to see Redskins players not other players teams who arent deserving of it like this. I am going to protest watching this because of this

Andre Johnson and Pierre Garcon were completely similar numbers and Garcon was left off. The numbers dont lie here, no reason the top catching WR this year is left off a squad of 8 players. No excuse for that

I really don't think the TDs were a major factor.  It's the name.  Larry Fitzgerald has a greater reputation than Pierre Garcon.  If Garcon goes on to dominate the NFL from this point forward, then he'll get a pro bowl or two over someone more deserving in the future.  That's the way it works.  New stars get snubbed in the beginning but they'll get in based on name in the end.

Heck, with the Super Bowl, injured, and uninterested players bowing out... I don't really know what a pro bowler is these days.  Fourth and fifth alternates were playing in the game last year.  Pretty soon, half the damn league will be a pro bowler.

No player from a 3-13 team deserves to be in the pro bowl...just saying

The pro bowl is worthless, but this isn't a logical way of looking at it no matter how you feel about the game or selection process. It's a team game. There are great players on bad teams all over the league, and this is for the most part an individual accomplishment.

Where in his post, or in the title of his thread, did he say that the Redskins didn't get enough players into the Pro Bowl?

Pro Bowl nods are individual acknowledgements, not team acknowledgements. Please tell me you're not actually upset because a Redskins fan felt Garcon deserved more recognition for his season than he has received.

As for the Skins going 3-13, go back and look at how many Pro Bowl players the 2-14 Chiefs had in 2012.

Pro bowl nods are, ideally, recognition for individual players within a team game, not just statistical leaders.  Garcon had an amazing season, but I can certainly make a case for Fitzgerald.  Fitzgerald  is a premiere receiver who plays in a much, much tougher conference, faces double coverage almost every play, splits looks with a decent #2 receiver on his team, and saw many less prevent defenses.  If you asked 30 defensive coordinators who strikes more fear into their game planning, 30 would say that it was Fitzgerald.  And that's true this year.

As for KC - they had 6 pro bowlers in 2012.  One was the punter.  They had only one offensive pro bowler - Jamaal Charles was a reserve.  As for the four defensive players, it should be noted that KC had the 5th ranked defense against scoring in the NFL and was tied for first in the AFC.  Those players had individual efforts that contributed to the TEAM having an outstanding defense.  The Skins offense, sadly, is not good at scoring.  They rank 23rd, yet still have two bowlers.

Team record has nothing to do with it.  Team reputation, maybe, but not team record.

The Probowl is an individual popularity contest.  Larry Fitzgerald is one of the best and most decorated receivers of this generation, and a household name.  That gives him a massive leg up over the competition.  We shouldn't take it too personally.  Great players get passed over all the time.  London Fletcher is a prime example of that.  Lavonte David, TB linebacker, this year was top 10 in tackles AND interceptions, with a healthy 10 passes defended and 6 sacks, and he didn't make it.

The truth is, ProBowl voters weigh TDs higher than anything else.  Yards are secondary in importance, unless you rack up like 110 a game or something crazy.

The real honor is to make the All-Pro team.  Garcon probably won't make that either, but I'd be willing to bet that in the behind the scenes rankings for that, he comes in higher than Fitzgerald.

The big thing for Garcon is that he's silenced most of the doubters.  A lot of people didn't think he could be a 1,000 yard receiver, and he came out and showed them he could.

Rpredskins writes in post #34: "Garcon sucked for the first few games of the season."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He had 280 yards through 3 games.

Yeah, that was a weird, inaccurate comment...

Sept. 9 - Philly  - 7 catches, 64 yards

Sept. 15 - Green Bay - 8 catches, 143 yards, TD

Sept. 22 - Detroit - 8 catches, 73 yards, 1 rush, 10 yards

The pro bowl is worthless, but this isn't a logical way of looking at it no matter how you feel about the game or selection process. It's a team game. There are great players on bad teams all over the league, and this is for the most part an individual accomplishment.

Thats your opinion, and mine is mine.  I just dont see how you can justify, never mind actually saying he deserves it over such and such.  I dont think anyone from the 2013 team even remotely deserves to be a Pro Bowler.  No one on this team did much to speak of.

Thats your opinion, and mine is mine.  I just dont see how you can justify, never mind actually saying he deserves it over such and such.  I dont think anyone from the 2013 team even remotely deserves to be a Pro Bowler.  No one on this team did much to speak of.

Cavin Johnson has been on terrible teams his entire career, is he a "pro bowl" level player, whatever that means?

Bad teams have good players, and when those players put up good statistical years, sometimes they get pro bowl nods. Sometimes not.

I'm not getting bent out of shape over it either way, the pro bowl is a joke. I'm just pointing out that you seem to have a strange way of looking at this.

Rpredskins writes in post #34: "Garcon sucked for the first few games of the season."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He had 280 yards through 3 games.

I was thinking of the 4 games after that then. Even in those first 3, he had several bad drops. And for a little stretch he couldn't get open against anybody. The Dallas game in particular comes to mind.

Not sure anyone else saw this but when the Broncos made it to the Superbowl the NFL announced that Larry Fitzgerald got the nod to replace Demaryius Thomas in the game over Pierre Garcon. This upsets me and thought a topic should be started on it. 

The Redskins receiver hauled in 113 catches, a new record for the franchise, for 1,346 yards and five touchdowns. Fitzgerald caught 82 passes for 954 yards, and did catch 10 touchdowns. 

Garcon led the NFL with the most catches on the season and still can't get in the game. The receivers in the probowl

Antonio Brown, Steelers 
Dez Bryant, Cowboys 
Josh Gordon, Browns 
A.J. Green, Bengals 
Andre Johnson, Texans Selected but won't play instead DeSean Jackson, Eagles will play
Calvin Johnson, Lions Selected but won't play instead Alshon Jeffrey, Bears will play
Brandon Marshall, Bears 
Demaryius Thomas, Broncos  Selected but won't play instead Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals will play

It's hard to argue with that list as all of those players are great except if your going to leave one guy off the list should it have been the guy who's resume in 2013 included

#1 in the league in catches

And the fact that Garcon had more yards then Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Desean Jackson, and Larry Fitzgerald?

Clearly what hurt Garcon was that he less TD receptions then everyone on this list. But a receiver is much more important then just catching TD passes right?

Will he ever get noticed by the league?

It really bothers me when I see players being passed over for the probowl while other players with less of a resume get in. Maybe it was the years of waiting for Fletcher to get in that made me this way but I don't like this one bit.

Garcon should have made it to the probowl this year

The Broncos are in the AFC, Garcon couldn't have been a replacement for one of their receivers since he plays in the NFC.

Archived