Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Larry Fitzgerald, not Pierre Garçon, gets Pro Bowl nod

TexasSkinsFan

Not sure anyone else saw this but when the Broncos made it to the Superbowl the NFL announced that Larry Fitzgerald got the nod to replace Demaryius Thomas in the game over Pierre Garcon. This upsets me and thought a topic should be started on it. 

The Redskins receiver hauled in 113 catches, a new record for the franchise, for 1,346 yards and five touchdowns. Fitzgerald caught 82 passes for 954 yards, and did catch 10 touchdowns. 

Garcon led the NFL with the most catches on the season and still can't get in the game. The receivers in the probowl

Antonio Brown, Steelers 

Dez Bryant, Cowboys 

Josh Gordon, Browns 

A.J. Green, Bengals 

Andre Johnson, Texans Selected but won't play instead DeSean Jackson, Eagles will play

Calvin Johnson, Lions Selected but won't play instead Alshon Jeffrey, Bears will play

Brandon Marshall, Bears 

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos  Selected but won't play instead Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals will play

It's hard to argue with that list as all of those players are great except if your going to leave one guy off the list should it have been the guy who's resume in 2013 included

#1 in the league in catches

And the fact that Garcon had more yards then Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Desean Jackson, and Larry Fitzgerald?

Clearly what hurt Garcon was that he less TD receptions then everyone on this list. But a receiver is much more important then just catching TD passes right?

Will he ever get noticed by the league?

It really bothers me when I see players being passed over for the probowl while other players with less of a resume get in. Maybe it was the years of waiting for Fletcher to get in that made me this way but I don't like this one bit.

Garcon should have made it to the probowl this year

Could have gone either way...not mad at Fitz making the PB. 

So....having 31 less receptions and 392 yards is meaningless?

I love Larry Fitzgerald and drafted him to an all time greats team and have always been a fan of his. His resume in 2008 still stands imo as the most impressive post season ever by a receiver but really how many times does this have to happen where a more deserving player gets snubbed because of the team he plays for not because of what he does on the field? I'm not mad at Larry for getting to the probowl, I'm just not happy that a more deserving player got snubbed for him to get there. 

Garçon deserves to be in the probowl, but he didn't score enough TD's, if he had double the TD's they would select him over Desean and Fitz. But reality is he only has 5 so Desean and Fitz get the nod.

It will motivate him to be better in the redzone next year, if I recall correctly he dropped some sitters in the endzone last year.

I love Larry Fitzgerald and drafted him to an all time greats team and have always been a fan of his. His resume in 2008 still stands imo as the most impressive post season ever by a receiver but really how many times does this have to happen where a more deserving player gets snubbed because of the team he plays for not because of what he does on the field? I'm not mad at Larry for getting to the probowl, I'm just not happy that a more deserving player got snubbed for him to get there. 

Who said it was meaningless?  If Garcon wants to make the PB over guys like Fitz, he needs to score more TDs.  Plain and simple.  I even think 8 TDs would have given Garcon the nod over him. 

Who said it was meaningless?  If Garcon wants to make the PB over guys like Fitz, he needs to score more TDs.  Plain and simple.  I even think 8 TDs would have given Garcon the nod over him. 

I don't think that 5 receiving TD's overshadows the fact that he led all of those receivers in catches and led 4 out of the remaining receivers in yards as well. If the only stat that matters for a receiver is receiving TD's then I would agree they made the right decision picking Larry over Pierre but clearly to me it doesn't and that doesn't really hold up.

Andre Johnson was selected to the probowl and had the same number of receiving TD's as Garcon. Johnson had less catches then Garcon but did have 61 more receiving yards then Garcon. Johnson's stats were good enough for the pro bowl but Garcon's are not. Is 61 receiving yards that important? No but Andre Johnson vs Pierre Garcon in name is what got Johnson in

just looking at the numbers, i agree with you. fitz had 10 TDs,. but the rest of his numbers were really 'ordinary'. had 2 100 yard games, one since week one and both vs the niners, somehow. totally shut down vs seattle. 

not a 'great' year for fitz, even given his QB situation (as if ours was great this year).

Not sure I agree that TDs is the stat that was used to pick Fitz over G. What is clear to me is 3-13 vs 10-6 was the deciding factor. Players on winning teams are more likely to be rewarded over players on losing teams unless the player on the losing team has already established himself a a superstar, then he will get acknowledged.

Not sure I agree that TDs is the stat that was used to pick Fitz over G. What is clear to me is 3-13 vs 10-6 was the deciding factor. Players on winning teams are more likely to be rewarded over players on losing teams unless the player on the losing team has already established himself a a superstar, then he will get acknowledged.

The Browns were 4 and 12 this year yet had 5 players named to the All Pro, much harder to get that distinction over the probowl. Dont think that the teams records play a part here all that much. Pretty sure this is because of the TD difference which upsets me.

I want to watch the probowl to see Redskins players not other players teams who arent deserving of it like this. I am going to protest watching this because of this

Andre Johnson and Pierre Garcon were completely similar numbers and Garcon was left off. The numbers dont lie here, no reason the top catching WR this year is left off a squad of 8 players. No excuse for that

Holy smokes - fans of a 3-13 team worried that they didn't get enough pro bowl slots!  Arizona has two legitimate WRs, both well over 50 receptions and both around 1000 yards (Floyd slightly over, Fitz slightly under).  The only person who should be upset with the pro bowl snub is Michael Floyd.

Where in his post, or in the title of his thread, did he say that the Redskins didn't get enough players into the Pro Bowl?

Pro Bowl nods are individual acknowledgements, not team acknowledgements. Please tell me you're not actually upset because a Redskins fan felt Garcon deserved more recognition for his season than he has received.

As for the Skins going 3-13, go back and look at how many Pro Bowl players the 2-14 Chiefs had in 2012.

Team records and receiving TDs really don't enter into it. Fitzgerald made the Pro Bowl on reputation. Happens all the itme. He did not have a great 2013. That's partly due to injuries, but it also was not his best season.

Also, Calvin Johnson is not playing. But Alshon Jeffrey is his replacement.

The Browns were 4 and 12 this year yet had 5 players named to the All Pro, much harder to get that distinction over the probowl. Dont think that the teams records play a part here all that much. Pretty sure this is because of the TD difference which upsets me.

I want to watch the probowl to see Redskins players not other players teams who arent deserving of it like this. I am going to protest watching this because of this

Andre Johnson and Pierre Garcon were completely similar numbers and Garcon was left off. The numbers dont lie here, no reason the top catching WR this year is left off a squad of 8 players. No excuse for that

True, but you just made my point. The Browns came in with a touted Defense so they already had the media spotlight on them. 

Cleveland Browns defensive back Joe Hadenicon-article-link.gif, wide receiver Josh Gordonicon-article-link.gif, tight end Jordan Cameronicon-article-link.gif, center Alex Mackicon-article-link.gif, and left tackle Joe Thomas

Joe Haden is a superstar in the making, Josh Gordon had a phenomenal year. Jordan Cameron started off great, slowed down but had the early exposure you want and Alex Mack is also a star. 

Again, if you have the early exposure, and the media's attention, it is easier to make a NFL pro bowl, especially one that has become a popularity contest.

True, but you just made my point. The Browns came in with a touted Defense so they already had the media spotlight on them. 

Cleveland Browns defensive back Joe Hadenicon-article-link.gif, wide receiver Josh Gordonicon-article-link.gif, tight end Jordan Cameronicon-article-link.gif, center Alex Mackicon-article-link.gif, and left tackle Joe Thomas

Joe Haden is a superstar in the making, Josh Gordon had a phenomenal year. Jordan Cameron started off great, slowed down but had the early exposure you want and Alex Mack is also a star. 

Again, if you have the early exposure, and the media's attention, it is easier to make a NFL pro bowl, especially one that has become a popularity contest.

There's the rub right? The NFL Probowl change was supposed to change that from a popularity contest to the best in the NFL yet the NFL's leading receptions leader has been snubbed for other players.

Alshon Jeffrey had 2 more TD's then Garcon

Alshon Jeffrey had 75 more yards then Garcon

Garcon has 24 more catches then Jeffrey

That's too close imo to leave Garcon off this list. Wins/Losses do not matter. Not since O.J. McDuffie in 1998 who led the league in receptions has the NFL's leading pass catcher not get selected to the pro bowl. To me that's worth talking about

The PB is the biggest sham in sports so it's honestly neither here nor there to me. Always amuses me when folk say 'he's a Pro-Bowler' or the like. Well whoopy doo, he was the flavour of the month that year huh? Popularity contest. Plain and simple. Complete and utter disgrace to call it an 'All Star' game.

Yes, Pierre should be going Hawaii on merit. But nothing to get rilled up over that he isn't.

Hail.

We were 3-13. That has a lot to do with it. Sure .. Garcon SHOULD have been selected based upon performance which exceeded Fitz's in all but one category. But like I said .. we were 3-13. Like a previous poster said .. it might make Garcon even hungrier for next year (although he has nothing to be ashamed of this PAST season). I would NOT file this under "Travesty" however! You just have to look at it under the circumstances. Besides .. essentially the Pro Bowl means NOTHING in the scheme of things. It's fans voting for whom they heard about on BSPN that season the most. It's a meaningless popularity contest. The Pooper Bowl is what I care about.

There's the rub right? The NFL Probowl change was supposed to change that from a popularity contest to the best in the NFL yet the NFL's leading receptions leader has been snubbed for other players.

Alshon Jeffrey had 2 more TD's then Garcon

Alshon Jeffrey had 75 more yards then Garcon

Garcon has 24 more catches then Jeffrey

That's too close imo to leave Garcon off this list. Wins/Losses do not matter. Not since O.J. McDuffie in 1998 who led the league in receptions has the NFL's leading pass catcher not get selected to the pro bowl. To me that's worth talking about

You just made the case for Jeffery. More yards and TDs with 24 less catches. Garcon lead the NFL catches but only averaged 11.9 yards a catch and only 5 TDs.  That's not to say Fitz deserved it because he didn't.  But making a big deal about Garcon not getting in after 3 guys dropped out is weak.  Jordy Nelson deserved it more but I think he's hurt.  

Archived