Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The House that Bruce Built

Voice_of_Reason

Don't worry I am sure this morning he will explain, all is good with the team.  They feel bad for the fans but rest assured they are building a young nucleus here.  It takes time to rebuild.  But they have a plan.  Scott Campbell is one of the best in the NFL at what he does. Jay Gruden is a young and hungry coach and we have faith in him.  Jay knows who are the true Redskins and who aren't.   That's how they will approach free agency and that's how they will approach the draft. 

We bring in more players who are hungry and committed to winning, true Redskins -- this team will find its way back to glory.  And Bruce is absolutely confident it will happen.  He's excited about the future, he feels bad for the fans but he wants the fan to know today that the team is on the right track and the best is yet to come. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Gotta make it look like we're making changes.

I'm pessimistic and down on the organization too right now. I guess what I don't get (and this isn't a direct question to you, just something that your post made me think about) is WHY do we think they are so against making changes? Is it that they are THAT bad at their jobs? Are they THAT stubborn? Are they just evil people? 

It's clear that Snyder has led one of the most horrible descents of a sports franchise in the past 50 years. Eventually you would think that someone with any amount of pride would be open to and willing to ask for help to do things the right way and give himself a better chance at success. I just don't understand WHY things aren't changing...what's in it for Snyder to keep the status quo?

I thought that we're now almost exactly 1 year into the Bruce Allen GM, I would go back to my original post, and see how right or wrong I was back in the day.

Here are parts of the OP which are most relevant:

And I believe that the success or failure of this team now rests squarely on the shoulders of Bruce Allen, even more so than Jay Gruden, if only because Bruce picked Jay.

Yeah, so I said that then, and I believe it now. Allen, who is the President/GM of the team, had more to do with getting the right people in place, and failed miserably, both on the coaching side, as well as the personnel side.

Here is what we now know about Bruce, and what he has done:

- Bruce has come out and said that he has the final responsibility for player personnel.

- Bruce has deemed that Morocco Brown and Scott Campbell, and their staff's, are the right personnel people to get the best players for the 'Skins. This is clearly a bit of a perception risk, since they've been around a while, and player personnel hasn't been terrific.

- Bruce has hired Jay Gruden, somebody who he is familiar with. (This was definitely a Bruce hiring, not a Snyder hiring.)

- If Jay Gruden chooses to keep Raheem Morris and/or Jim Haslett, that's going to come back to Bruce in some ways too. Morris is a Bruce guy. Haslett is massively unpopular with the fan base, but appears to be popular with Bruce and Jay. Jay's a Bruce guy...

So, I believe everything up in that list is still on Bruce Allen's room bill. With the luxury of hindsight, it's even more abundantly clear that Gruden was going to be the coaching hire from probably the moment they decided to can Shanahan. And Allen could have helped everybody out by jettisoning Haslett and Morris at the same time as Shanahan, and saving everybody from having a cross-over regime. But he didn't.

I still believe that the Gruden hiring was all Allen. That's not a hiring that would be very Snyder-esque. I believe that retaining Haslett and Morris were due to connections with Allen from Tampa. I think that Allen was comfortable with Morocco and Scott Campbell, and therefore didn't see any reason to shake things up.

Of the above list, I'd say nothing in the list above has worked out well.

The question now is, Is Bruce Allen competent enough to put the organization together and transform it to a winning organization?

Yeah, so I would say that the answer to this question from 1 year ago is, at the moment, a resounding no.

Because the competence of Allen as the GM/"President" of football operations is as important, and I would argue more important, than anything Jay Gruden does as HC.

It seems like there is a clear power structure, and org chart in the building now, with Bruce at the top of it.

I think that this has become even more in focus during the year. The personnel side of operations is a mess. The offensive personnel doesn't jive with itself, it's a complete mish-mash of players with different skillsets.

They retained the status quo in coaching, and the leaks continued, even after the Shanahans were both gone.

Allen didn't force Gruden to get an OC/Playcaller/QB coach, or any combination, thus allowing him to have way too much on his plate.

I STILL think that Allen is really in charge, and it's not Snyder. And I lay all of this mess at Allen's feet. I also lay it at Snyder's feet, but only insofar as Snyder hired Allen, and hasn't forced him to change. (Though, it's possible that he stepped in on the Haslett thing. No evidence of that. But it's possible.)

So, on the day when 95% of the conversation centers around the most visible person in the organization, the HC, I am left thinking about Bruce, the GM, the Player Personnel guys, and the way that the entire organization fits together.

I think this is truer than ever. He even took on the title of "defender of the Name" and "Harvestfest planner" and all the other crap.

I'm fine with the Jay Gruden hire. But I was fine with the other hires under Snyder. (I didn't care for Spurrier ever, but again, that aside). I think Jay did a great job yesterday in his press conference, and subsequent radio appearances. But I was left thinking that I was impressed by Marty, Gibbs, to some extend Zorn and Shanahan as well. So what's different?

And the only difference is:

The Redskins are now "the house that Bruce Built."

So far, Bruce being in charge of all things has been a complete and total failure. The house is on fire. And while I think they tried to put out a forest fire with an eye dropper by firing Haslett, I'm expecting Morris to be promoted, and that's just going to keep the same group of folks around with no accountability.

If there's no SIGNIFICANT changes in the coaching staff, (Morris being promoted to DC won't count), and they run out the same personnel guys, you can't honestly expect any sane person to believe that there is a realistic chance of success in the next 2-3 years.

Oh, and btw, blaming the injury bug for the 4-12 record, which is essentially what Allen did, was really stupid.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be the same enthusiasm-anger as there was that year when we organized the letter drive to oust Vinny. Personally, am more fired up now then I was back then.  I am going to take my shot at a letter to Dan about Bruce and the lack of interest in Dan's tenure to put a serious (big reputation for [personnel) football mind in charge of personnel. 

Posted Today, 12:01 PM

What happen today needs to continue. That noise is what Dan will listen to a force him to drop hammer on Bruce

Washington Redskins 
Redskins Park 
21300 Redskins Park Drive 
Ashburn, Virginia 20147 
(703) 726-7000

• Like 1

I thought we should have hired a GM back when Shanny/Bruce were brought in.

When Mike was here it was his show. Bruce wasn't acting as GM until this offseason and that is where I mark the beginning of his assessment period.

I'm a fair guy; and even though I don't think Bruce has the chops to be a good enough GM to lead us out of the gutter I'm willing to consider that I could be wrong.

However; Bruce is not off to good start. He had a bad offseason FA/draft but my main issue with Bruce is hiring Jay. And even though its imho HIGHLY unlikely; Jay could prove to be a good coach.

Bruce needs a much better offseason. and Jay needs to be a much better coach. But I can't make a referendum on Bruce after 1 season.

Edited by darrelgreenie

A key aspect of my assessment of Bruce will be based on the changes made in the coaching staff.

Even though Bruce made it seem like Jay is solely in charge of hiring/ firing his coaching staff I still put the burden of responsibility on Bruce's shoulder's for the choices he allows Jay to make.

I was ready to give him credit for Haslett's firing but it seems like he nor Jay have actually owned that decision. I have to admit that even though the right thing happened it appears that Haslett had to help them make the decision. So again not a strong sign.

But they have 2 very important vacancies to fill: DC and QB coach.

And imo they have at least 1 other vacancy to create...Raheem Morris.... But at the end of the day their success/failure will be judged in W/L next year.

I STILL think that Allen is really in charge, and it's not Snyder. And I lay all of this mess at Allen's feet. I also lay it at Snyder's feet, but only insofar as Snyder hired Allen, and hasn't forced him to change. (Though, it's possible that he stepped in on the Haslett thing. No evidence of that. But it's possible.)

You're right on everything there except one thing. I'd correct it for you but I gotta sit on that shocking bit of info for a bit. 

• Like 1

You're right on everything there except one thing. I'd correct it for you but I gotta sit on that shocking bit of info for a bit.

FWIW, my intuition tells me that Haslet "fired" Haslet. Dan stayed out of it and Bruce and Jay wanted to give him another shot. But Haslett decided he'd rather dance naked on the Elipse in 20 degree weather than going through another season as DC here.

I'm sure in his mind he was screwed by personnel, bad coaches on his staff (the Slowiks under Shanny) and given a raw deal.

I'd say all that is probably true, which exasterbated the fact he's not a great coordinator.

In his eyes, he was screwed.

In mine, he had enough opportunity to somewhat overcome his odds.

Good points.

The FO seems obsessed with finding high character try hards. That's nice, but you need TALENT. Take chances on guys with quick twitch explosiveness or imposing size and strength. You can coach up work ethic and discipline. You can't coach up 4.2 40s or 60 inch verticals.

just another case where Snyder is trying to emulate the Gibbs teams of the 80s

To further the point. 

Let's go back to when Marty was hired, because that was really the first HC/FO hire that Snyder made:

2001 - Marty - Coach and Personnel

2002-2003 - Spurrier Coach, Vinny personnel.  Vinny just did whatever Dan and Spurrier wanted. DON'T tell me that Spurrier wasn't involved in personnel, because he was.  That's how we ended up with the 1998 Florida Gators team.  

The Redskins cut Danny Wuerrful when Spurrier wanted him as the backup QB

EDIT: One example of this was Reed Doughty.  I respect the hell out of Reed Doughty.  Smart player. Good guy.  Gave absolutely everything he had on every play. But he was a security blanket.  He was physically limited.  The team NEEDED to find a way to replace him.  But because they trusted him, it probably took 3 years longer than it should have.  Every year Doughty was on the team, it was a clear indication that the FO/Coaches were essentially being lazy and not finding the next Doughty, maybe one with a little more athletic ability. 

Goldson is another guy.  There are 100 guys just like him.  Why not get somebody younger and has more upside?  This year, there are finally a few (Kearse, etc).  But most that was due to necessity, because the other guys got injured. 

Doughty survived three coaching staffs, so did Golston so it's hard to justify the claims he was only there because the coaches were lazy

On the years he was on the team some attempts to improve the position included Anderson Russell, DeJon Gomes, Chris Horton, Jordan Bernstine, Jordan Pugh.  These are the kind of people you're talking about.  They made the team.  Sometimes they played ahead of Doughty.  Then they got hurt or they stopped playing better than him

Arizona's house is on their 3rd string QB and they are in the playoffs. I want a house that can cope with injuries like that.

No one can cope with injuries like that. They were the best team in the NFL with Palmer, decent with Stanton and are a bad football team right now with Lindley/Thomas. 

What they are is a team that's well put together overall. Obviously, that's what we (and every fan base) should desire.

just another case where Snyder is trying to emulate the Gibbs teams of the 80s

The Redskins cut Danny Wuerrful when Spurrier wanted him as the backup QB

The fact he was signed is proof that the coach was getting his guys. This was also year 2 after everybody but spurrier had figured out Danny couldn't play

Why does anyone care how/who/why Haslett is no longer here? I can't believe people are complaining who fired him or if he quit.

Who the **** cares? He's gone. That's the most important thing. That is step one. He was by far the worst coach on the staff. I can't believe our fans lately. Nothing makes anyone happy. Gotta ***** about everything.

Just be happy he's gone and let's move forward and look to fix the other problems with the team. We have too many problems to solve to sit here and harp on him. Move on already.

Edited by pjfootballer