Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

Destino

This is silly.  

You're not even a punter in the NFL, nobody cares what you think, there's no need to even replace you.  Laterzzz

Let me clarify.  I'm totally cool with gay marriage, I just don't care what some punter thinks about it.  Or some reality TV character for that matter.

He could have worded his ending better. This comes off as rude. You would think that working with the LBGT community you would understand what it's like to be persecuted, but then you go ahead and persecute or "replace" people who do not agree with you.

There is a line between personal beliefs and law. Some people think that the LBGT community should have equal rights and be allowed to do whatever they want and be legally protected. But also think "ew." Who cares if someones personal belief is "ew" if they encourage that the laws and governments should support the movement. 

"I think there are homophobic people in the NFL, in all positions, but that's true for society as well, and those people eventually get replaced. All we can do is try to expose their behavior when we see it and call them to account for their actions." 

• 6 months later...

Really puts things in perspective.  Kluwe on his moral high-horse, but he has skeletons in his own closet.  I thought what he was doing was admirable as far as standing up for equality...however, in light of the recent relevations, I have little respect for him.  He's a true hypocrite. 

Kluwe made himself an easy target and yet this article seems to miss the mark.

1- Penn State was about pedophilia, rape, sexual assault, and a culture that allowed it to go on for years. Not gays. By calling Kluwe homophobic, for mocking that, seems to miss the mark.

2- He writes that he's disgusted by two people, neither of those two are the two players rumored to have been with that under age girl or the Vikings management for covering it up. That would get in the way of the goal of this article which is to claim moral equivalency between Kluwe and Priefer.

Obviously dishonest outrage annoys me and that's what I see in this article. If I had my guess either the NFL or the Vikings now owe Gregg Doyle for writing this.

1- Penn State was about pedophilia, rape, sexual assault, and a culture that allowed it to go on for years. Not gays. By calling Kluwe homophobic, for mocking that, seems to miss the mark.

2- He writes that he's disgusted by two people, neither of those two are the two players rumored to have been with that under age girl or the Vikings management for covering it up. That would get in the way of the goal of this article which is to claim moral equivalency between Kluwe and Priefer.

Obviously dishonest outrage annoys me and that's what I see in this article. If I had my guess either the NFL or the Vikings now owe Gregg Doyle for writing this.

Kluwe was a champion for the LGBT community.  However, he found it appropriate to make light of a case where young boys were molested and raped.  That's a problem. 

I think the point of the article was just to show that Kluwe isn't above some of the things that he's upset at the Vikings about. 

Kluwe was a champion for the LGBT community.  However, he found it appropriate to make light of a case where young boys were molested and raped.  That's a problem. 

I think the point of the article was just to show that Kluwe isn't above some of the things that he's upset at the Vikings about. 

That's pretty much what I took from it, and why I posted it.  You can be on your high horse about gay rights, and admirably so, but you'd better not have something in your past like running around with a hole in your pants making fun of child rape, which is essentially seems to have happened.  Even better that he took what amounts to an "everyone was doing it" stance.

I dislike the trend that making a tasteless joke invalidates your sincerely held beliefs for the rest of your life. (Is there going to be a soul alive in 2028 that could win the Presidency before a screenshot of some offensive statement makes the rounds?)

I understand that public figures are held to a higher standard especially if they're the sort that champion LGBT rights. But drawing a comparison between Priefer, who is clearly homophobic, and Kluwe, who is making a joke, just seems like BS to me. 

Can anyone in this thread honestly say you've never made an offensive joke? If so, you are a hypocrite with no grounds to stand against workplace discrimination. Kluwe seems like a jackass but he is being held to an impossible standard here.

I dislike the trend that making a tasteless joke invalidates your sincerely held beliefs for the rest of your life. (Is there going to be a soul alive in 2028 that could win the Presidency before a screenshot of some offensive statement makes the rounds?)

I understand that public figures are held to a higher standard especially if they're the sort that champion LGBT rights. But drawing a comparison between Priefer, who is clearly homophobic, and Kluwe, who is making a joke, just seems like BS to me. 

Can anyone in this thread honestly say you've never made an offensive joke? If so, you are a hypocrite with no grounds to stand against workplace discrimination. Kluwe seems like a jackass but he is being held to an impossible standard here.

So, would you say Priefer was held to an impossible standard as well?  If what he was saying was behind closed doors (just like Kluwe's comments), shouldn't he be given a pass?  Seems to me, if Kluwe is going to light the fire on this, he better not be going at other people for things he is just as guilty of.  At the end of the day, this is all about a disgruntled employee (Kluwe), who is turning out to be no better than the people he is accusing. 

Kluwe might have the good fortune of being on the right side of the gay debate, but he comes across as a bitter, immature, narcissistic asshole. He's parlayed this one incident into a 2 year drama. Dude enough already. You are about 1/10000 as special as you think you are

Move on with your life.

So, would you say Priefer was held to an impossible standard as well?  If what he was saying was behind closed doors (just like Kluwe's comments), shouldn't he be given a pass?  Seems to me, if Kluwe is going to light the fire on this, he better not be going at other people for things he is just as guilty of.  At the end of the day, this is all about a disgruntled employee (Kluwe), who is turning out to be no better than the people he is accusing. 

I think there is a difference between making a Penn State joke and "we should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows," along with telling Kluwe he'll "burn in hell with all the gays." If Priefer was actually joking I'd feel differently. 

I do think you're right that Kluwe isn't any better than those he's accusing. His Deadspin article with his side of the story is probably extremely misleading. I don't even necessarily think Priefer absolutely had to be suspended. But I still say that making a ****ty joke shouldn't disqualify the validity of his opinion. 

Agreed with zoony's post. Here is how I know Kluwe is an idiot: sorry, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to give up a job paying you $1 million to punt a football because you can't keep your mouth shut. There are smarter ways to be a social-cause champion. 

Yeah ... I'm missing the connection between taking the piss out of Penn State football alums in private, and not having any ground to stand on regarding homophobia and discrimination in the workplace.

but he comes across as a bitter, immature, narcissistic asshole. 

True. But that's why I find him endearing and thought you would too.  :P

First time I've heard this rumor about the Vikings and the underage girl. I'm not seeing a lot to substantiate it, but it doesn't sound so far-fetched either.

It seems this rumor is related to the 2008 "cruise boat" adventures of Vikings players.

Here is what Google found:

Anyways, around early August, rumors started flying around among the youth of St. Paul that two seniors (Class of '09) had illicit relationships with none other than Tarvaris Jackson and Sidney Rice of the Minnesota Vikings. According to stories, the two girls, seventeen at the time, were eating at a swanky restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, when someone paid for their entire bill. The gentlemen introduced themselves as Jackson and Rice, and took the two females (to their credit, smoking hot, and easily the most attractive girls in the school) back to one of their places for a night of drinking. Then, for the next week or so, Jackson and Rice would occasionally pick the girls up from St. Paul. The stories reached a climax when Rice rolled by a house party that a lot of friends and I were at to pick up one of the girls. Though I did not witness this, apparently my dealer sold him weed. Eventually, Jackson and Rice found out that the girls were underage and appropriately cut everything off. Somehow, the press found out, and sent reporters to the high school to interview the principal and other administrators about the situation. No charges have been pressed as there is some grey area as to what actually went on behind closed doors .

http://comeback-complete.blogspot.com/2008/12/eagles-are-going-up-against-bunch-of.html?m=1

Not much of a source, but it looks like the Vikings have a bit of a PR mess on their hands anyway. I hope the allegations are false, but I don't know.

Kluwe might have the good fortune of being on the right side of the gay debate, but he comes across as a bitter, immature, narcissistic asshole. He's parlayed this one incident into a 2 year drama. Dude enough already. You are about 1/10000 as special as you think you are

Move on with your life.

100% agree with this but also want to add a footnote about how douchey Gregg Doyel is. Arrogant ***** obviously loves the smell of his farts because he writes for a national publication and talks to NFL players. He obviously felt Kluwe "owed him" a response and wrote this entire article because Kluwe refused to elaborate on the underage girl story.  

I think his point was more toward inappropriate, insensitive, boorish, juvenile, ignorant, lude, and contemptuous sexually themed conduct occurring in the locker room.

While the author's motive is suspect, it doesn't change the fact that Kluwe obviously knew enough to try to out pedophiles but also stood by and did nothing to stop it. Or he's lied about it. Either way, what a selfish and vindictive person.

I kind of found it interesting that no one bothered to post in this thread when the Vikings completed their investigation, found that the coach actually did exactly what Kluwe said he did, and suspended the coach for several games.  

That wasn't news, but the fact that Kluwe made a bad joke in private is big news.

Lesson learned: we shoot the messenger.

False equivalence.  Mocking Penn State and revealing that the Vikings may have covered up a sex story is not the same as announcing that you want all gays rounded up and nuked (And then lying about it and getting caught in that lie by a subsequent investigation).   

I hate that every article written nowadays reads like a hit piece.

It makes me question the motives of the author when I read stuff that reads like this garbage.

Agree completely.  Like I said in a previous post, I think either the NFL or Vikings, whoever put him up to this, now owe him one.  This is very obviously a hit piece that seeks to discredit Kluwe.  The sad thing is that Kluwe did open himself up to criticism but by trying to make it about him being just as bad as the Vikings the writer displays an agenda.  

I kind of found it interesting that no one bothered to post in this thread when the Vikings completed their investigation, found that the coach actually did exactly what Kluwe said he did, and suspended the coach for several games.  

That wasn't news, but the fact that Kluwe made a bad joke in private is big news.

Its a good point. Although I hadn't heard that either until its mention in here.

Give the mob what it wants.

Kardashian Kulture demands easy blood.

~Bang

Really puts things in perspective.  Kluwe on his moral high-horse, but he has skeletons in his own closet.  I thought what he was doing was admirable as far as standing up for equality...however, in light of the recent relevations, I have little respect for him.  He's a true hypocrite. 

This guy is an idiot, a distraction and an average player. That's why he was cut and he is sour grapes about it.

Talking about the coach in question here right?

Both of them should be canned (although CK already was). I find his joke about little boys being raped worse than what the coach said. What the coach said was just ignorance, gays arent going to be rounded up onto and island and nuked... But little boys were molested and there is no humor in that at all. The coach should be fired too, not just suspended. Both of them are idiots and distractions to the team.

Archived