Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

Destino

Dungy has been an public and vocal opponent of gay rights, gay marriage, etc for over a decade now. 

Not to mention doing fund raising for Christian organizations that advocate "curing" gay people. And often he did it in his Colts polo shirt and baseball cap (I wonder if a player would have been censured for using the team brand like that?).

So, how do you want this done? Do you want no one involved the the NFL spouting any opinions outside of NFL news? Do you only want them not spouting opinions you don't like?

Because the issue with Dungy is not that he was talking about Michael Sam and the dreaded "Distractions" that no NFL coach ever wants to deal with - unless that player is really really good and then a football team is a family and we take care of each other in our darkest moments. If this was....I dunno....Steve Marriucci, he might get some backlash but it wouldn't be this.

Dungy has been an public and vocal opponent of gay rights, gay marriage, etc for over a decade now. He talking about Michael Sam is not the same as most of the NFL talking heads.

Should he have kept quiet all these years like you want Wise and JLC to do?

You said recently that blacks are incapable of racism because they have no institutional power. So let's go with that, your opinion. What institutional power does tony Dungy have? None. Now, think of a reason you aren't a hypocrite. Balls in your court

Tony Dungy is a devout Christian and an NFL Coach. He is asked his opinion on drafting a marginal talent that comes with more media baggage than Johnny Manziel. What do you want him to say? He gave a good and perfectly reasonable answer. The great white heard can't deal with it, now they are rallying.

As to your last question, the answer is if like them to stfu. I don't need to be lectured about equal rights from JLC and UnWise Mike, two bourgeois dweebs whose experience with equality is limited to electives they took at the private colleges their parents paid for.

Is there some kind of play book they give out at graduation to these sports media types?

1. Must like European soccer. Must not like football and maintain a blasé relationship with the sport. You are a serious journalist forced to cover football until something better opens up. Act like it.

2. Must rally around SAFE political topics that make you seem like a progressive. You don't want to touch real issues or anything truly controversial, but you must have liberal street cred

3. You must intersperse actual breaking nfl news within your self important diatribe forcing the masses who just want nfl news to follow your feed

4. I will think of more later

Why is it ok to say the same types of things about Tim Tebow (baggage etc.) a couple seasons ago, but not Michael Sam now?

http://thegospelcoalition.org/article/defending-tony-dungys-right-to-have-an-opinion

I think it is fair for a team to say it doesn't want the media circus that comes with Michael Sam. I don't really mind Dungy's comments.

That said, I do take issue with the article you linked. TGC seems to view the issue through the lens of good Christians vs. evil gays (they have an article entitled "The Inhumanity of Same Sex Marriage" on their homepage).  

Christians are a majority group that is protected by the supreme law of the land, homosexuals are a minority group fighting bigotry. The thing about the minority group fighting bigotry is what makes the Jackie Robinson comparison at least somewhat apt.   

You said recently that blacks are incapable of racism because they have no institutional power. So let's go with that, your opinion. What institutional power does tony Dungy have? None. Now, think of a reason you aren't a hypocrite. Balls in your court

I don't think I ever said that specifically. I hypothesized that. But I'm not Larry and am not going to get bogged down in "Prove I said that" nonsense.

Tony Dungy has tremendous institutional power. He's the moral compass of the NFL. When Michael Vick gets thrown in prison, who does he run to for rehabilitation? When Marvin Harrison is investigated for a murder, whose holy light does he stand in? Good Lord...Tony Dungy gets on Rex Ryan about cursing and Rex has to arrange a visit with him to figure out what's going on there.

Tony Dungy is a devout Christian and an NFL Coach. He is asked his opinion on drafting a marginal talent that comes with more media baggage than Johnny Manziel. What do you want him to say? He gave a good and perfectly reasonable answer. The great white heard can't deal with it, now they are rallying.

Tony Dungy is not simply a devout Christian and NFL coach. He is an active long-standing anti-gay activist. Joe Gibbs is a devout Christian and NFL coach. If he said what Dungy said, I would chalk it up to "Eh...he's a different generation and is one of those 100 percent on football all the time weirdos." Dungy is not that.

As to your last question, the answer is if like them to stfu. I don't need to be lectured about equal rights from JLC and UnWise Mike, two bourgeois dweebs whose experience with equality is limited to electives they took at the private colleges their parents paid for.

So why are you willing to get lectured by Tony Dungy on morality?

Is there some kind of play book they give out at graduation to these sports media types?

1. Must like European soccer. Must not like football and maintain a blasé relationship with the sport. You are a serious journalist forced to cover football until something better opens up. Act like it.

2. Must rally around SAFE political topics that make you seem like a progressive. You don't want to touch real issues or anything truly controversial, but you must have liberal street cred

3. You must intersperse actual breaking nfl news within your self important diatribe forcing the masses who just want nfl news to follow your feed

This is a B/B- zoony rant. I think you need to spend more time on this. It has potential.

For this diatribe to work you are excluding ESPN and any US TV broadcast from "sports media".

I think it is fair for a team to say it doesn't want the media circus that comes with Michael Sam. I don't really mind Dungy's comments.

That said, I do take issue with the article you linked. TGC seems to view the issue through the lens of good Christians vs. evil gays (they have an article entitled "The Inhumanity of Same Sex Marriage" on their homepage).  

Christians are a majority group that is protected by the supreme law of the land, homosexuals are a minority group fighting bigotry. The thing about the minority group fighting bigotry is what makes the Jackie Robinson comparison at least somewhat apt.   

Well, God forbid that The Gospel Coalition actually stand by what the bible actually says about it. Let's not stray though. :)

From the article:

1. A few years ago, when everybody said, “I don’t want to sign Tim Tebow because of the media circus that comes with Tim Tebow” almost nobody defended him. In fact, most of us nodded our heads in agreement (I did, even though Tebow and I share a common faith). 

My thought:

Who said that? I found one article with an anonymous quote in it about that. But that did not stop three teams from signing him. One of those teams LOVE media circuses. One of them destroy them. Neither kept him.

I found several related to "baggage" that folks wrote about or were concerned about over the last few years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/26177/you-can-never-have-enough-tebow

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/which-team-is-the-best-fit-for-tim-tebow/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.wbur.org/2012/03/22/tim-tebows-baggage

I'm suddenly reminded of my favorite Larry Sanders Show moment.

Artie: You know who runs this town, don't you?

Phil: The Jews?

Artie: The gay Jews!

Anyway, that's just jokes, kids. Just joshing. Just fooilin' around.

Back to the topic, I'm not entirely comfortable with social media's ability to silence someone with an opinion outside the mainstream. At the same time, I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea that any asshole can say any damn thing they want and suffer no repurcussions. Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

I think Tony Dungy is a bigot. While I agree that he should be allowed to be a bigot, I should be allowed to call him out on his bigotry. Loudly. And if I'm loud enough, maybe I scare ESPN away from him. I don't know why I'm supposed to feel bad about that. He's free to be a bigot; that doesn't mean he should have access to ESPN's platforms to spout his nonsense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you are upset that social media can create a backlash. I think you are upset at the SIZE of the backlash it can create. You seem to want the statement and the backlash to have relatively equal volume.

I dont agree. I think what Dungy said was correct. The NFL is a billion dollar industry and while a person's sexuality shouldn't matter when it comes to football.... unfortunately it does in 2014. Most of these players aren't scholars out there, they got to where they are because of their athletic ability. Just look at Riley Cooper, a person's beliefs are always going to be there under the surface no matter what they have to do to be PC or whatever *classes* they have to take. All that being said, these teams and players are here to win football games and a championship, not to stand on political platforms. An issue like this is a distraction from focusing on football, mostly because the media makes it one. If Sam would have come out and then people just moved on it wouldn't be an issue, but that wont be the case and the media will keep it in the headlines. I dont think there is anything wrong with Michael Sam and admire his courage, my problem is with the media. Let the man live his life and try to make a living playing football and leave things at that. That won't ever happen though.

What happens when a 7th round pick doesnt make the team? Some think Sam wouldn't have been drafted at all until he came out. Will the Rams keep him on the team at the expense of some other player that deserves to make the roster? How would that be fair? Will Sam then write an article along the lines of Kluwues title "I was an NFL hopeful until i was cut by cowards." I hope he comes to play in Training Camp so there is no question about him earning his spot to avoid the fallout that will happen if he is cut. A 7th round pick is no sure thing to make a 53 man roster. Again, I admire Michael Sam's courage and the example and hope he gives to other gay players trying to make their way in football, but Im relieved that he isn't a Redskin. It's been a circus atmopshere around here enough and i hope for once the Washington Redskins are primarily focused on football this year. This is i think what Tony Dungy meant. If this makes me a bigot in your mind too, so be it but i know the person i am. I watch the NFL for the sole purpose of wanting the Redskins to win a Superbowl, i don't really care about anything else with the NFL to be honest.  JUST WIN BABY! There are plenty of other platforms and ways to discuss these issues outside of the NFL. WHy does the NFL need to be invaded by politics and media created soap operas?

I dont agree. I think what Dungy said was correct. The NFL is a billion dollar industry and while a person's sexuality shouldn't matter when it comes to football.... unfortunately it does in 2014. Most of these players aren't scholars out there, they got to where they are because of their athletic ability. Just look at Riley Cooper, a person's beliefs are always going to be there under the surface no matter what they have to do to be PC or whatever *classes* they have to take. All that being said, these teams and players are here to win football games and a championship, not to stand on political platforms. An issue like this is a distraction from focusing on football, mostly because the media makes it one. If Sam would have come out and then people just moved on it wouldn't be an issue, but that wont be the case and the media will keep it in the headlines. I dont think there is anything wrong with Michael Sam and admire his courage, my problem is with the media. Let the man live his life and try to make a living playing football and leave things at that. That won't ever happen though.

What happens when a 7th round pick doesnt make the team? Some think Sam wouldn't have been drafted at all until he came out. Will the Rams keep him on the team at the expense of some other player that deserves to make the roster? How would that be fair? Will Sam then write an article along the lines of Kluwues title "I was an NFL hopeful until i was cut by cowards." I hope he comes to play in Training Camp so there is no question about him earning his spot to avoid the fallout that will happen if he is cut. A 7th round pick is no sure thing to make a 53 man roster. Again, I admire Michael Sam's courage and the example and hope he gives to other gay players trying to make their way in football, but Im relieved that he isn't a Redskin. It's been a circus atmopshere around here enough and i hope for once the Washington Redskins are primarily focused on football this year. This is i think what Tony Dungy meant. If this makes me a bigot in your mind too, so be it but i know the person i am. I watch the NFL for the sole purpose of wanting the Redskins to win a Superbowl, i don't really care about anything else with the NFL to be honest. JUST WIN BABY!

1. If he doesn't make the team, he doesn't make the team. No one rioted when Jason Collins wasn't picked up.

2. I find it really hard to believe that an SEC defensive player of the year doesn't at least deserve a look at a camp, regardless of "undersized" he is.

3. And I don't think Tony Dungy is a bigot because of what he said about Michael Sam. I think he is a bigot because he has a history of being a bigot.

4. The NFL has endless tolerance for distractions - if you are good enough. The Pouncey Brothers can't take their garbage out without assaulting someone, bullying someone, or openly supporting an alleged murderer. They will probably both have 10 year careers.

The Kluwe situation drives me crazy because it just screams attention whoring douchebag who demands special treatment and refuses to let a "crisis go to waste" of sorts.

Why do I say that? Because there is an absolutely legitimate and reasonable argument for Kluwe being cut for ENTIRELY football related reasons.

Kluwe had an inconsistent 2012, having one two game stretch where 8 of his 13 punts were under 40 yards including one 20 yarder (Source). Kluwe was 24th in Punting Average, 18th in Net Average, and 31st in the league for punts inside the 20 yard line ((Source). Those aren’t good numbers for a punter.

Then you add his contract situation on top of his inconsistent and middling play. 2013 would’ve been the final year of a 6 year contract and would’ve cost them $1.45 million against their cap (Source). By cutting Kluwe and going with a young punter, they saved $1 million on their cap number AND have their punter locked up for the next 3 years at cap numbers lower than the veteran minimum they would, at best, have to pay Kluwe (Source).

Finally, moving away from the cold hard facts of his stats and his contract, let’s peak at two more subjective pieces of supporting fact. The Vikings did the same thing to their field goal kicker, who isn’t an outspoken activist, the year before. Veteran Ryan Longwell had a middle of the pack year in 2011, similar to what Kluwe had in 2012. He also was coming up towards the end of his contract. The Vikings decided to go younger, releasing Longwell and going with a young rookie kicker. Sound familiar? It should, it’s the same general script that happened with Kluwe. Additionally, after getting released by the Vikings Kluwe joined on with the Raiders at a lower salary. Did he make that team? No, he got beat out by a young punter.

Assuming Kluwe got fired primarily, or even just significantly, for his "activism" is ridiculous when you look at the facts and the history. The mental leaps and gymnastics to justify that as opposed to the more reasonable, logical, and historically backed argument that it was for football reasons is astounding.

As I said at the time....Kluwe was an NFL player until he became a 30+ year old, declining, over priced punter who wasn't worth having on a team anymore. All the blabbering on and on about the "homophobia" of his special teams coach is nothing but the whinging cries of a guy desperate to continue to get pub and press and to transition well into his post-football life as a bleeding heart activist.

If you truly believe that if Michael Sam gets cut, he just gets cut and thats it then are just arent going to agree. The media will blow that story up. The scouting report said he has glaring weaknesses for a projected NFL player. Heismann trophy winners for college sometimes dont make it in the NFL so i dont see stand out college players as sure NFL players. Two different levels of football requiring different skill sets.

I just think it would have been best for Sam to come out, have the story talked about for a couple days and then move on like it was no big deal even if it is. It would have shown other gay players that its no big deal and they can be comfortable. But, the media wont let that happen. Instead, if/when Sam makes the team i feel the media will keep digging and digging until someone says something stupid. As i stated earlier, most of the NFL players are in the NFL because of athletics, not academics so at some point someone will say something stupid. Then all of a sudden the Rams are talking about non related football issues when football at the elite NFL level takes everyones full focus. The media should just this story go. Michael Sam should be a football player, not known as a gay football player. Let gay football players see that its ok to be themselves and life goes on as they are treated just like everyone else and not having a spolight on them at all times because of their sexuality.

3. And I don't think Tony Dungy is a bigot because of what he said about Michael Sam. I think he is a bigot because he has a history of being a bigot.

Ah, the overused word of the decade. Bigotry takes many forms doesn't it? If I used "bigot" as loose as you or others do, there would be quite a few members on here with that label, and they probably wouldn't be opposed to gay marriages.

We will see more coverage on a 7th round draft pick than we will probably ever see this offseason which is ridiculous. Let Michael Sam focus on playing football, not answering questions related to his sexuality all training camp. This is why some people view this situation as a distraction.

Ah, the overused word of the decade. Bigotry takes many forms doesn't it? If I used "bigot" as loose as you or others do, there would be quite a few members on here with that label, and they probably wouldn't be opposed to gay marriages.

How do you define bigot, because if Dungy is an anti-gay activist and protests against same sex marriage, then what would you call him.

Dungy has supported organizations that believe homosexuality is a disease that can, and should, be cured. 

Dungy has supported organizations that believe homosexuality is a disease that can, and should, be cured.

Wow i was unaware of that. While i agree the whole thing is a distraction, the reasons why probably differ greatly between myself and Dungy.

Some members here likely deserve that label. I don't see why that would be a deterrance. (I can think of two ex-members who would have gladly accepted that label. Because they were terrible people or at least like appearing that way).

But Dungy - to me and I'm just a dude - deserves the label because he is not my mom who just says things, "Well, I don't understand it, but guess it takes all kinds....." He actively supports organizations that make it more difficult to be a homosexual in America.

Wow i was unaware of that. While i agree the whole thing is a distraction, the reasons why probably differ greatly between myself and Dungy.

That's the entire point here. Joe Gibbs is not just an outspoken Christian but is an outspoken Christian Conservative - at least to the extent that he addressed the RNC and called on McCain-Palin to lead a spiritual awakening. If Gibbs had said these things, he would have taken some hits for sure. But it wouldn't be the big deal it is with Tony Dungy who is radically anti-gay.

And it's troublesome that a lot of people don't really know his history on this issue.

That's the entire point here. Joe Gibbs is not just an outspoken Christian but is an outspoken Christian Conservative - at least to the extent that he addressed the RNC and called on McCain-Palin to lead a spiritual awakening. If Gibbs had said these things, he would have taken some hits for sure. But it wouldn't be the big deal it is with Tony Dungy who is radically anti-gay.

And it's troublesome that a lot of people don't really know his history on this issue.

Yes you are right. Was he outspoken about this issue while he was coaching or now that he has been out of coaching? Admittedly i just saw the headline that Dungy called the Sam situation a distraction which as i stated i agree with. I'm not radically anti-gay though, I'm anti media and how they cover issues.

Yes you are right. Was he outspoken about this issue while he was coaching or now that he has been out of coaching? Admittedly i just saw the headline that Dungy called the Sam situation a distraction which as i stated i agree with. I'm not radically anti-gay though, I'm anti media and how they cover issues.

He accepted that award from the Indiana Family Insititue while coaching.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said he knows some people would rather he steered clear of Indiana's gay marriage debate, but he clearly staked out his position nonetheless.

The Super Bowl-winning coach "embraced" the stance of an Indiana organization supporting an amendment to the state constitution that would ban gay marriages, and he added Tuesday night at a gathering of the Indiana Family Institute that he's "on the Lord's side."

"We're not trying to downgrade anyone else," said Dungy, coach of the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts. "But we're trying to promote the family — family values the Lord's way," Dungy said. "IFI is saying what the Lord says. You can take that and make your decision on which way you want to be."

Asked about Dungy's comments, the NFL provided the following response through spokesman Greg Aiello:

"Coach Dungy is speaking for himself and expressing his views, which he is fully entitled to do. No doubt there are people in our league that have a different view. We respect the right of employees to have and express their views and don't regulate the political or religious views of team or league employees."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2007-03-21-dungy-remarks_N.htm

I don't think I ever said that specifically. I hypothesized that. But I'm not Larry and am not going to get bogged down in "Prove I said that" nonsense.

Tony Dungy has tremendous institutional power. He's the moral compass of the NFL. When Michael Vick gets thrown in prison, who does he run to for rehabilitation? When Marvin Harrison is investigated for a murder, whose holy light does he stand in? Good Lord...Tony Dungy gets on Rex Ryan about cursing and Rex has to arrange a visit with him to figure out what's going on there.

You are seriously reaching about Dungys status as some kind of moral bellwether. He is an ex coach and analyst on Sunday Night Football. He holds as much institutional power as any other asshole on TV with an opinion.

This is not the commissioner or an nfl owner denying Sam anything. Just the (correct) POV from an NFL coach paid to voice said POVs on network tv

Tony Dungy is not simply a devout Christian and NFL coach. He is an active long-standing anti-gay activist. Joe Gibbs is a devout Christian and NFL coach. If he said what Dungy said, I would chalk it up to "Eh...he's a different generation and is one of those 100 percent on football all the time weirdos." Dungy is not that.

Do you reserve the same kind of moral outrage and advocation of mass bullying for people who claim that mental illness can be cured by faith? You do know the faith to which you belong regularly practice exorcisms, right?

Is it that mental illness is not as important an issue as the gay? Is there a council of self-loathing, bitter, white dweebs who decide all of this and write the next chapter of the Liberals Book of Outrage? How is all of this stuff decided? Seems quite arbitrary and hypocritical to me in most cases. But as has been established, I'm not enlightened.

Archived