Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Interviews to date

daveakl

Figured we could list who was coming in for an interview unless this should go in another thread.

Darrell Bevell, OC, Seattle (Interview conducted Tuesday, December 31

Sean McDermott, DC, Panthers (Interview conducted Saturday, January 4)

David Shaw, HC, Stanford (contacted through third party but no word on response)

Jim Caldwell, OC, Ravens (Interview conducted Sunday, January 5th)

Perry Fewell, DC, Giants (Interview conducted Monday, January 6th)

Rich Bisaccia, Special Teams Cord, Dallas (Interview conducted Friday, January 3rd)

James Franklin, HC, Vanderbilt (contacted but no word on response)

Jay Gruden, OC, Cincinnati (Interview scheduled for Wednesday, January 8th)

I don't know much about bevell..would we be good if we had him as a head coach?

He has been around some good qbs so either he excels at developing /maximizing them or he has just been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

personally i would like to see jack del Rio come in here.

I like Bevell. He's my second choice behind Briles.  Bevell's history in developing QBs is impressive. Russel Wilson was his pick Pete Carrol says.  But my only concern is he has a power run based offense that would require us to change the offensive line almost entirely just to run his system. Also, his offense is balanced but isn't very explosive. It benefits greatly from Seattle's top ranked defense. Without a good defense the jury is out on how it would work in D.C..

I like Bevell. He's my second choice behind Briles. Bevell's history in developing QBs is impressive. Russel Wilson was his pick Pete Carrol says. But my only concern is he has a power run based offense that would require us to change the offensive line almost entirely just to run his system. Also, his offense is balanced but isn't very explosive. It benefits greatly from Seattle's top ranked defense. Without a good defense the jury is out on how it would work in D.C..

As important as the units they governed over are, I think we as fans need to just shut up and realize that their skills for managing and motivating a staff and 53-man roster are things we can't possibly know unless we're in the interviewing room.

I like Bevell. He's my second choice behind Briles.  Bevell's history in developing QBs is impressive. Russel Wilson was his pick Pete Carrol says.  But my only concern is he has a power run based offense that would require us to change the offensive line almost entirely just to run his system. 

I'm fine with that. This undersized line needs to be changed.

I like Bevell. He's my second choice behind Briles.  Bevell's history in developing QBs is impressive. Russel Wilson was his pick Pete Carrol says.  But my only concern is he has a power run based offense that would require us to change the offensive line almost entirely just to run his system. Also, his offense is balanced but isn't very explosive. It benefits greatly from Seattle's top ranked defense. Without a good defense the jury is out on how it would work in D.C..

I'm not concerned about his run scheme at all, we need to replace 4/5 of this line anyways and Trent would be just as good in a PBS. I'm so over the ZBS, I want maulers and pass blockers, not finesse guys who are only good blocking ten yards downfield.

FWIW about Bevell - its a year old but still applicable.  He seems qualified and a good fit.  I think there was some talk last year that Seattle was paying close attention to how Shanahan was using RGIII and they were taking tips to apply to Wilson.  I wonder if that was Bevell?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/15/durkins-coaching-breakdown-darrell-bevell/

What is Bevell’s NFL coaching experience?

Bevell has 13 years of NFL coaching experience. He’s been a quarterbacks coach and an offensive coordinator, with seven years of experience as a play-caller.

Which head coaches has Bevell worked for?

Mike Sherman (6 years), Brad Childress (4), Pete Carroll (2), Leslie Frasier (1).

Which notable quarterbacks has Bevell worked with?

Brett Favre (8), Aaron Rodgers (1), Russell Wilson (1).

Bevell worked with Favre for eight seasons, and perhaps his most impressive mentorship was in 2009. Then 40, Favre turned in a masterful season, posting a career high 107 quarterback rating, a career low seven interceptions and led the Vikings to an NFC Championship game appearance.

This past season, Bevell helped turn third-round draft pick Russell Wilson into a record-setter, tying Peyton Manning’s mark of 26 passing touchdowns as a rookie. Wilson’s growth from Week 1 to the Divisional playoff round was astounding, as he transformed from game manager to game winner. Bevell incrementally added more wrinkles to the playbook each week, and by season’s end, the Seahawks were playing as well as any team in the league.

What makes Bevell an attractive head coaching candidate?

He runs a balanced offensive scheme, and has proven success with a headstrong quarterback.  In a pass-happy NFL, the 2012 Seahawks were one of six teams to run the ball more than they passed it (leading the group with a +131 differential), yet they ranked in the top nine in scoring.

What is Bevell’s offensive philosophy?

Bevell runs a hybrid of the West Coast offense. He’s a firm believer in softening up a defense with inside-zone running plays to set up play-action passes down the field.  While in Minnesota, the Vikings maintained a balanced attack, and improved every season in points scored, yards per pass attempt, and third down conversion percentage.  Bevell showed adaptability this season by adding elements of the zone read and bubble screen, familiar concepts to a quarterback fresh out of college, like Wilson.

Last time, it wasn't Bruce Allen making the pick.  Last time, it was a long list of terrible candidates.  This time, it looks like competent candidates only.

McDermott is as unqualified as Zorn was. Interviewing him doesn't reflect well on the vetting process thus far.

McDermott is as unqualified as Zorn was. Interviewing him doesn't reflect well on the vetting process thus far.

NONSENSE. Zorn had limited experience as a play caller, as Holmgren called 99% of the Seahawks plays, and had never been a coordinator.

McDermott calls the D, and is the DC in Carolina. I'm not saying he's a world beater but the Zorn comparison is a stretch.

It's valuable to interview someone just to hear their perspective. Maybe Bevell has an idea on how to use our personnel and maybe McDermott does too. You're a SoCal guy, maybe you've heard the term 'sweepstakes pitching.' Essentially producers will bring in various writers to give their pitch on how to tackle a potential story. Often times they'll use some of the best ideas from writers even if they don't get hired for the job.

McDermott is D coordinator under a defensive head coach who has been very hands on. The only time McDermott was on his own was under Andy Reid and he was replaced by their O-line coach as D coordinator. He had the same players that Jim Johnson had and failed miserably.

In Carolina in his first 2 years, the D was not good statistically. The heat got turned up on Rivera and he stepped in more according to articles and they are vastly improved.

The only stretch he has on his own was in Philly and it was a disaster.

Archived