Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Interviews to date

daveakl

Just for clarity, this is apparently where we stand right now. (From Keim on ESPN)

I think it's worth noting that it would appear that of the interviews to date, the two "hottest" candidates are ones still coaching, in Bevell and McDermott.  Caldwell, Bisaccia and Fewell aren't coaching.

I do wondering if the 'Skins fell in love with one of the coaches they have already interviewed, they would offer them the job before waiting for their entire list to be available.

Obviously, the Bengal's choke job freed up Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer. 

Also worth noting, the rest of the people on the list, except for James Franklin, are also still coaching.

Which could mean that either the 'Skins love Gruden/Zimmer or one of the other guys they have already talked to, or we're not going to know this week, until some more teams lose.

We do know that either the 49ers candidates or the Carolina candidate would be available after next week, since they are playing each other.

It would appear that Whisenhunt would be available, unless they can knock of the Pats in NE. Which isn't exactly, you know, easy.  

I'm guessing Seattle will win at home, though I'm pulling for the Saints.

So, rooting interests for next week in order to complete the coaching search:

NE over Chargers

Saints over Seattle

pick-em: 49ers vs. Carolina.  That would depend on your personal favorite candidate. 

Okay we've already interviewed McDermott and Bevell.  Where have you been?!

And the Charges play the Broncos, not the Patriots.

The fact that they are interviewing so many candidates and that new names are cropping up almost daily is beginning to make me almost think that they had a guy from the get go, they just need to make it look like they went through a "thorough and exhaustive process".  Like, they've had a coach lined up and this is all just organizational posturing ahead of making an announcement.

Edit: 1,500 posts!  :P Only took 11 years! 0.36 posts per day!  :lol:

Based on their 2013 performances, I would not want to see Caldwell or Fewell hired as our next HC. The Ravens offense took a big step back this season, and the Giants defense wasn't what they've been used to in the past.

I would take Fewell over Caldwell--- Caldwells 2-14 without Peyton and inexplicable timeout call vs the jets have him in the NO WAY category --- Fewell took over a 3-6 2009 Bills team and lead them to a 3-4 record-- so in seven games he doubled their win total from their previous 9--- not saying hes great but he wouldn't be the worst hire-- definitely not my top by any stretch though

Okay we've already interviewed McDermott and Bevell.  Where have you been?!

And the Charges play the Broncos, not the Patriots.

Yes, I know that we've already interviewed McDermott and Bevell, but we can't hire either one of them until their team loses.

And you're right, I oopsied on the Chargers vs. Broncos. (Fixed original post.)

SO, if we want Whisenhunt sooner rather than later, we want the Broncos to beat the Chargers. 

True. I guess the fact that the team as a whole wasn't very good makes it seem like the defense didn't do very well. But I do know a lot of NY fans were calling for a change at DC over the last year.

With his previous team (Dallas), Sean Payton was 25-23 over 3 years. He was the QB coach and then assistant head coach in that time and the average rankings of his offense over those 3 years was 20th in points and 15th in yards. In fact, after he left Dallas, they flourished on his side of the ball.

He turned out to be a very good head coach.

I would take Fewell over Caldwell--- Caldwells 2-14 without Peyton and inexplicable timeout call vs the jets have him in the NO WAY category --- Fewell took over a 3-6 2009 Bills team and lead them to a 3-4 record-- so in seven games he doubled their win total from their previous 9--- not saying hes great but he wouldn't be the worst hire-- definitely not my top by any stretch though

I like that they talked to Caldwell.  

But I can't imagine that he is at the top of the list.

I get the feeling like the top of the list either just lost (Jay Gruden) or is still coaching (Bevell, McDermott, Whisenhunt, etc.)

And I don't think that they are trying to make it appear as though they are doing a search.  I think they have to bide their time for the coach they want (I actually think it might be Bevell) loses.  And then have backup plans b through Z in place in case he doesn't want the job, so they don't get stuck with Hazlett again.

I am a little surprised they didn't interview Raheem Morris, since he's in the building, been a HC, and knows Bruce.  

OK, you want to give it a third try?

In fairness, I'm hopped up on cold medication. 

The fact that they are interviewing so many candidates and that new names are cropping up almost daily is beginning to make me almost think that they had a guy from the get go, they just need to make it look like they went through a "thorough and exhaustive process".  Like, they've had a coach lined up and this is all just organizational posturing ahead of making an announcement.

Edit: 1,500 posts!  :P Only took 11 years! 0.36 posts per day!  :lol:

Think its closer to asking opinions on "How would you fix this team?" and interviewing for postions for assistants on the new staff. Im sure they are not truly interested in 12-14 canidates but closer to 3-5

I am a little surprised they didn't interview Raheem Morris, since he's in the building, been a HC, and knows Bruce.  

I bet they did but really no need to announce it.

Redskins coaching search reset Wednesday 01.08.13

Status of known candidates as of 9 a.m. (according to multiple media reports unless otherwise indicated):

Interviews conducted:

• Darrell Bevell, Seahawks offensive coordinator—Interview conducted Tuesday, Dec 31
  • Sean McDermott, Panthers defensive coordinator—Interview conducted Saturday, Jan 4, per the Washington Times
  • Jim Caldwell, Ravens offensive coordinator—Interviewed conducted on Sunday, Jan 6, confirmed by the Redskins
  • Perry Fewell, Giants defensive coordinator—Interviewed by Redskins on Monday, Jan 6, confirmed by the Redskins
  • Rich Bisaccia, Cowboys special teams coordinator—Interviewed on Friday, Jan 3, confirmed by the Redskins

Interviews requested/scheduled/TBD:

• James Franklin, head coach at Vanderbilt—Interview later this week per Chick Hernandez of CSN.
  • Jay Gruden, Bengals offensive coordinator—Interview today at Redskins Park
  • Mike Zimmer, Bengals defensive coordinator—Interview requested
  • Vic Fangio, 49ers defensive coordinator—Interview requested
  • Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator—Interview requested

Actually the Giants defense was 8th in yards allowed and 10th in turnovers. Those are not bad numbers for Fewell at all. 

But the Giants essentially got "healthier" against a few terrible teams at the end of the season.  They still allowed a lot of points, and last season Fewell's defense was 31st in yards, the year before they were 27th.  Two of the last 3 years they have been in the bottom half of the league in points allowed, so I cant get excited about a guy who cant seem to put a decent defense on the field after 4 years at the helm...

Do not see Ken Whisenhunt's name ? Is he wanting Detroit's quarterback or because he played for Cowher and Redskins before?

Status of known candidates as of 9 a.m. (according to multiple media reports unless otherwise indicated):

Interviews conducted:

• Darrell Bevell, Seahawks offensive coordinator—Interview conducted Tuesday, Dec 31
  • Sean McDermott, Panthers defensive coordinator—Interview conducted Saturday, Jan 4, per the Washington Times
  • Jim Caldwell, Ravens offensive coordinator—Interviewed conducted on Sunday, Jan 6, confirmed by the Redskins
  • Perry Fewell, Giants defensive coordinator—Interviewed by Redskins on Monday, Jan 6, confirmed by the Redskins
  • Rich Bisaccia, Cowboys special teams coordinator—Interviewed on Friday, Jan 3, confirmed by the Redskins

• James Franklin, head coach at Vanderbilt—Interview later this week per Chick Hernandez of CSN.

Interviews conducted:

Do not see Whise

You can't request somebody who had a playoff game

It used to be the case that you couldn't interview until after the team was out of the playoffs, however you can interview teams that have a buy week and once the wild card week is over you can request an interview from the winning teams as well. You just can't hire them.

Its looking like they're spending an awful lot of time with gruden...

It would be awfully convenient if has and raheem just happened to stick around and gruden just happened to get hired...

I think I'd have to break out the torches and pitchforks and storm redskin park. Cronyism again.. Only in DC :(

Archived