Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Interviews to date

daveakl

Not really wild about either of these candidates (for the reasons stated above), although it's still early in the process.

The guy I really want is Whisenhunt, who fits the profile of a guy with  NFL head coaching experience, runs a balanced offense, and has been to (but not won) the Super Bowl. He's worked with Rothlisberger, Warner and had a great year with Rivers this year.

He could bring in Russ Grimm as Ass HC/OL and Ray Horton as Defensive Coordinator (currently in limbo in Cleveland). Horton as a lot of experience in Pittsburgh coaching the 3-4.

Whisenhunt, Grimm and Horton were all in Pittsburgh together, and all have time spent in Washington in the past.

Maybe the rumors about Snyder and Cowher speaking recently were not about Bill, but about Whisenhunt...

I like Bevell. He's my second choice behind Briles.  Bevell's history in developing QBs is impressive. Russel Wilson was his pick Pete Carrol says.  But my only concern is he has a power run based offense that would require us to change the offensive line almost entirely just to run his system. Also, his offense is balanced but isn't very explosive. It benefits greatly from Seattle's top ranked defense. Without a good defense the jury is out on how it would work in D.C..

Any system would require us to change the O-Line.

For those in this thread talking about Zorn as a candidate for HC, remember that he wasn't a candidate for HC.  He was a candidate for OC.  And then, when Dan and Vinny (aka dumb and dumbest in the history of the world) couldn't find a HC, they turned to Zorn as a HC candidate.  

I like that they are interviewing Bevell. Seems to work well with Wilson, and they run a balanced offense without a ton of playmakers.  

Also like that it sounds like Dan Snyder doesn't even appear to be part of the interview process, at least initially. I imagine if they like what they see, and there is interest all the way around, that there would be a meeting with Dan at some point.  At least, I would hope there would be. 

Because while there are some on this board that would like to see Dan on his Yacht across the ocean and completely uninvolved, that's not reality.  Ultimately, he owns the team, and is the boss. If I were interviewing, I'd insist on a meeting with the boss before I took the job.  

Not really wild about either of these candidates (for the reasons stated above), although it's still early in the process.

The guy I really want is Whisenhunt, who fits the profile of a guy with  NFL head coaching experience, runs a balanced offense, and has been to (but not won) the Super Bowl. He's worked with Rothlisberger, Warner and had a great year with Rivers this year.

He could bring in Russ Grimm as Ass HC/OL and Ray Horton as Defensive Coordinator (currently in limbo in Cleveland). Horton as a lot of experience in Pittsburgh coaching the 3-4.

Whisenhunt, Grimm and Horton were all in Pittsburgh together, and all have time spent in Washington in the past.

Maybe the rumors about Snyder and Cowher speaking recently were not about Bill, but about Whisenhunt...

Whisenhunt is also one of my choices but I had him bringing Frank Reich with him. Currently the Chargers QB coach with Whisenhunt and was also with him in AZ for a short time as their WR coach. He spent time in Indy before that as QB and WR coach working with Manning and Garcon.

I like Bevell. He's my second choice behind Briles.  Bevell's history in developing QBs is impressive. Russel Wilson was his pick Pete Carrol says.  But my only concern is he has a power run based offense that would require us to change the offensive line almost entirely just to run his system. Also, his offense is balanced but isn't very explosive. It benefits greatly from Seattle's top ranked defense. Without a good defense the jury is out on how it would work in D.C..

You act like we don't need to revamp the entire offense line anyways....

btw, Whisenhunt might very well be on the list, but since the Chargers are still playing, and don't have a bye, they can't talk to him until they lose or play in the SB.

I don't see them beating the Bengals in Cincy, though who the hell knows with either of those teams.  So, he could be having an interview early next week. 

Whisenhunt is also one of my choices but I had him bringing Frank Reich with him. Currently the Chargers QB coach with Whisenhunt and was also with him in AZ for a short time as their WR coach. He spent time in Indy before that as QB and WR coach working with Manning and Garcon.

Good call on Reich. Would be a solid addition and coach up RG. Could also see Raheem Morris and Sean McVey staying in that arrangement. Just need a Teams coach...

I expect Jay Gruden to be the next HC. I'm really not sold on Bevell. McDermott is OK but Carolina's D was already good before he got there and he was fired by the Eagles. Briles-I would stay away from (been there done that) I guess they'll do the round of interviews and well have a HC in a few weeks.

McDermott is as unqualified as Zorn was. Interviewing him doesn't reflect well on the vetting process thus far.

When Zorn was selected, someone made a thread saying that Zorn was the head coach.  It was so unbelievable that the thread was closed.  It was unbelievable because it was stupid.  Then, we all worked hard to convince ourselves that it was a good move.  We started out 6-2 and everyone forgot that we all thought the idea was stupid to begin with.

When Zorn was selected, someone made a thread saying that Zorn was the head coach.  It was so unbelievable that the thread was closed.  It was unbelievable because it was stupid.  Then, we all worked hard to convince ourselves that it was a good move.  We started out 6-2 and everyone forgot that we all thought the idea was stupid to begin with.

There was a decent amount of hate for Zorn here even with the 6-2 start. The maroon and black experiment was a fail from the first press conference. Zorn even wore his Seahawks NFC championship ring on the Redskins sideline once the losses mounted to justify his qualifications. 

There was a decent amount of hate for Zorn here even with the 6-2 start. The maroon and black experiment was a fail from the first press conference. Zorn even wore his Seahawks NFC championship ring on the Redskins sideline once the losses mounted to justify his qualifications. 

I knew Zorn would be a bust when he said in his first PC that the team didn't need any rebuilding. HA! That 6-2 start made me think he was better than I thought, but alas it was proven that he was indeed terrible.

Also for what it's worth, I read on Twitter (I'll see if I can find the tweets) mention that Snyder did not go to Seattle with Bruce Allen for interviews. May not mean much, but at least it seems like Danny is letting Bruce, Brown and Campbell run ****.

Don't you guys remember the sequence of events that led to the Zorn hiring? That was the most ass backwards hiring process I've ever seen in my life. They pretty much hired the whole staff(including Zorn as OC) BEFORE they hired a head coach. What head coach was going to come in here without the ability to pick their own staff?? I remember saying as much at the time. It was unreal. Then they "promoted" Zorn from OC to head coach. Complete and utter debacle.

Also for what it's worth, I read on Twitter (I'll see if I can find the tweets) mention that Snyder did not go to Seattle with Bruce Allen for interviews. May not mean much, but at least it seems like Danny is letting Bruce, Brown and Campbell run ****.

In my opinion, I think it is a show for the media. I think Dan is probably already calling agents of potential free agents and I expect Briles to ink the deal by end of next week. We will reclaim our crown as offseason champs.

Archived