Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schottenheimer: No NFL coach better than Shanahan

truskinsfan18

"Take out the10-6 fluke of a season". So when we lose it's the coaching staffs fault but when we win it's a fluke? Gotcha. When am I going to stop being suprised by some of the stuff that I read?

Come on man. Of course you can't change the record books and take out that 7 game stretch. But that Divisional crown is the most misleading stat on his whole tenure here. Those 7 games go COMPLETELY against the norm of the other 54.

Hail. 

Okay, here's my question...

If we're going to have to bring about wholesale changes, first to the front office (removing Mike's GM role, finding a new GM), finding a new OC, finding a new DC, finding a new ST coordinator, plus an all new set off assistants, PLUS turning over most of the roster...why in the hell would we keep the guy who picked all the coaches and picked all the players and has been the general manager when we have to change ALL OF THAT?

Plus who are you going to get to come here as the OC and DC when Shanny is in the last year of his contract - and any talk of an extension now is madness.

"Take out the10-6 fluke of a season". So when we lose it's the coaching staffs fault but when we win it's a fluke? Gotcha. When am I going to stop being suprised by some of the stuff that I read?

keep the 10-6 in there.

6-10

5-11

10-6

3-13 (projected)

average: 6-10

averaging 6-10 over 4 years.  thats SO MUCH BETTER.

yeah, cause there is no middle ground between "he must go" and a ringing endorsement. 

ringing endorsement = the dreaded vote of confidence

its what smart people do when **** is hitting the fan.  in our case, that pile of triceratops **** from jurassic park has hit a windmill.

keep the 10-6 in there.

6-10

5-11

10-6

3-13 (projected)

average: 6-10

averaging 6-10 over 4 years.  thats SO MUCH BETTER.

Did you read my post? Did I say that the current coaching staff has a good record? I simply stated that the coaching staff is responsible for wins as well as losses. Jeez, follow along, it's not that difficult.

Shanahan has made big mistakes. But, he's looking at the same 3-11 record we are. I'm pretty certain he knows who is at fault here. But the predominant theme here amongst about 80% of the denizens is that we should embark upon a new five-year adventure with some new dude. I'm not really all that keen on blowing it all up. Yet. But the real question is whether (1) Shanahan and Snyder and the players can work together (I believe that the bridge is not as burned as a lot of you think it is, but I was wrong once .. back in 198x ? ) and (2) whether Shanahan is willing to make the MAJOR changes which include replacing Haslett (FAILure) and Burns, and quite possibly finding a new home in another city for his son (although if Kyle can be as creative as he was LAST season, and IF he and RG3 can work together Then we shouldn't be so dismissive of Kyle).

Shanahan knows as well as anyone in the NFL how to coach a successful Super Bowl winning team. That's not an ability that you lose. The real question is: How much does he want to be successful again? If he WANTS to stay then I would guess he wants to redeem his reputation before he goes into the HOF. But again, I was wrong once .. back in 198x ?

If we're going to have to bring about wholesale changes, first to the front office (removing Mike's GM role, finding a new GM), finding a new OC, finding a new DC, finding a new ST coordinator, plus an all new set off assistants, PLUS turning over most of the roster...why in the hell would we keep the guy who picked all the coaches and picked all the players and has been the general manager when we have to change ALL OF THAT?

I agree with this, and using this same logic is the reason I can't give Snyder a pass either. The guy still doesn't have a clue.

Nice to see you back, NLC. :)

If it turns out Shanahan stays, he'll most likely get an extension. 

If Dan lets a guy stick him up for $7 mil, humiliate the one thing that's made his franchise relevant, drag his name through the mud, get away with a 3rd double-digit lost season, AND he extends him, I'll turn in my fan card. Dan will officially deserve to lose.

I think Shanny has been one of the best offensive minds and coaches in the NFL for a long time. He probably still is.

However he has never been able to evaluate defensive coaches and players and that side of the ball has constantly been a drag on his teams.

Enlarged for emphasis.

Shanahan is a good coach honestly. But ever since he has had total control of his teams, his defense have been very lackluster. Go look at his points and yards allowed on defense for every season since 2000 (The year I think he became VP of the Broncos), Once he officially got full control, the Broncos defenses plummeted. So glad you brought this up Martin C.

And ANY player speaking out against his HC in a negative manner is one dumbass player committing career suicide. 

Regardless of what you think, you don't do that or else your marked down by your current and any future HC as a locker room agitator they don't want in there. 

Player support in general means next to nothing. Here or in any other similar situation. 

Hail. 

You did see the article that London has exactly 2 games left in his NFL career?  Do you suspect that giving anything less than a ringing endorsement of Shanahan to the point of recommending an EXTENSION would result in him being cut? 

I agree that player support in general means next to nothing.  But I am also able to evaluate each situation indepently.  A man like London doesn't have to worry about his playing time or his next contract.  And he is certainly intelligent enough to say something like "a decision will be made by the owner".  But of course none of that jives with what Gibbs Honorary Hog KNOWS to be true...so London is just another person that can't be trusted to speak the truth. 

Then we have another win over a mediocre to bad team.

Yes .. but think about this: as BAD as the 'girlz are, they are fighting it out for the division. And Jerruh plans to stay on as GM and keep Romo sits to pee-theChoke-Artist and Garrett. Philth looks to be nothing special under Chipper, and next season his flimflam offense will be last year's pistol. The G'nats ain's going anywhere but down. I like our future in this division with a healthy RG3. A spoiler win against the 'Girlz would be awesome!

We get extra toppings at Papa Johns...

Now THATS quick and funny.,  :lol:

You did see the article that London has exactly 2 games left in his NFL career?  Do you suspect that giving anything less than a ringing endorsement of Shanahan to the point of recommending an EXTENSION would result in him being cut? 

I agree that player support in general means next to nothing.  But I am also able to evaluate each situation indepently.  A man like London doesn't have to worry about his playing time or his next contract.  And he is certainly intelligent enough to say something like "a decision will be made by the owner".  But of course none of that jives with what Gibbs Honorary Hog KNOWS to be true...so London is just another person that can't be trusted to speak the truth. 

The key words you missed were 'in general' as to the overall point  ;) And being as there's a link from a poster that has run with the link of other players in the thread that overall general point is relevant. 

Thanks for (trying to) play. 

Hail. 

The key words you missed were 'in general.'  ;)

Thanks for (trying) to play. 

Hail. 

Actually I quoted your in general and said that I was capable of analyzing a situation independently.   You however said that player opinion cannot be trusted in this situation.  Who cares whether players can be trusted to speak the truth "in general" when we are talking about one specifically? 

So just put it out there....you do not respect what London Fletcher said on the topic because you know better.  It is absurd and hilarious the hubris that leads someone to that place. 

Actually I quoted your in general and said that I was capable of analyzing a situation independently.  Who cares whether players can be trusted to speak the truth "in general" when we are talking about one specifically? 

So just put it out there....you do not respect what London Fletcher said on the topic because you know better.  It is absurd and hilarious the hubris that leads someone to that place. 

So now you know what I was referring to and what i feel about Fletch?

Again. Thanks for (trying to) play. 

Hail. 

If Dan lets a guy stick him up for $7 mil, humiliate the one thing that's made his franchise relevant, drag his name through the mud, get away with a 3rd double-digit lost season, AND he extends him, I'll turn in my fan card. Dan will officially deserve to lose.

I assume you are referring to RG3 with "humiliate the one thing that's made this franchise relevant".  RG3 deserved to be benched based on his play alone.  It's no coincidence that our oline looked much better when Cousins was playing.  It wasn't a coincidence that our WRs made big plays for the first time in weeks.  I'm honestly tired of this fanbase putting RG3 on a pedestal.  Redskins>one player.

One thing Mike said during a press conference that swayed me into supporting him again was that he didn't care about the cost of certain players. He will play the best player available.  It gave me confidence that if Mike is the coach and RG3 stinks it up in the future, he'll go to Cousins.  He won't play a player based on how much he costs in draft picks or salary.  He will play the best player available.  If we get a new coach, he might be forced to play RG3, even if he stinks it up, just because we spent so many picks on him. 

Face it guys, we're cursed. Mike Shanahan is a hall of fame coach and he is highly respected around the league but EVERYTHING we touch turns in to stone. With our luck Mike will be fired picked up by another franchise and win a superbowl in 3-5 years. We had the hottest rookie the league has seen and now he looks TERRIBLE!

Change the name to something else because it's obvious someone has cursed us with some voodoo. :( 

Why should his staff be held accountable but not Shanahan for picking the wrong people?

Okay, here's my question...

I love how not one Shanahan apologist responded to these two posts

Change the name to something else because it's obvious someone has cursed us with some voodoo. :(

This is one line of thinking that's always amused me.  It's kind of funny that some view our name as racist, yet those same people participate in racial stereotyping of Native Americans, like every NA does some type of rain dance, voodoo ritual to curse people they don't like.

Archived