Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schottenheimer: No NFL coach better than Shanahan

truskinsfan18

He's lost 30 games in four seasons, folks.

And he's come up with more than 30 excuses for it.

Well, the 1st year is usually going to be bad for a new regime with a bad roster.  The 2nd year we had no QB.  The 3rd year, we get two high caliber QBs and become NFC East Champions.  This year has been horrible for many reasons.   I wanted Shanahan fired a week ago, but after all that's happened, I'm cool with him returning if there are changes to his staff.

If we lose out.

24-40

Take out the 10-6 fluke of a season (Thanks Robert!)

14-34 during the other 3 seasons.

4.6 - 11.4

that is our average record

no thanks

Well, the 1st year is usually going to be bad for a new regime with a bad roster.  The 2nd year we had no QB.  The 3rd year, we get two high caliber QBs and become NFC East Champions.  This year has been horrible for many reasons.   I wanted Shanahan fired a week ago, but after all that's happened, I'm cool with him returning if there are changes to his staff.

See: Andy Reid

See: Chip Kelly

See: Jim Tressman

Nah. No thanks.

Why should his staff be held accountable but not Shanahan for picking the wrong people?

If we lose out.

24-40

4.6 - 11.4

no thanks

Nah. No thanks.

I thought Andy Reid was fired because he sucked? I mean the guy couldn't win any games.

Some people from this board should really talk to London.  He clearly doesn't know anything about football in general or this team in particular. 

yeah cause fletcher, the day he announces his retirement is gonna come out and say "yeah shanahan isnt the right guy, he needs to go".

fletcher is doing his best "player speak".

Some people from this board should really talk to London.  He clearly doesn't know anything about football in general or this team in particular. 

And ANY player speaking out against his HC in a negative manner is one dumbass player committing career suicide. 

Regardless of what you think, you don't do that or else your marked down by your current and any future HC as a locker room agitator they don't want in there. 

Player support in general means next to nothing. Here or in any other similar situation. 

Hail. 

Wasn't Shanny the coordinator who got the best of Marty in those playoff games in the 80s?  If so, am sure that has stuck with him.  If we are hiring Mike Shanahan to be our offensive coordinator as opposed to head coach, especially if we were back in the 1990s with Elway and Davis and a scheme that was innovative for its time, yeah he is a great coach under that context.

But not only IMO isn't he a great head coach in 2013, but I would be surprised if he gets another head coaching job after this debacle.

He's lost 30 games in four seasons, folks.

And he's come up with more than 30 excuses for it.

The excuses part is what makes me sick. I don't care who endorses Mike Shanahan... His record, and his recent actions do not warrant another passing thought in regards to coming back. He's done. He has complete authority of this team, and he just can't cut it, and likely never will... Especially if he continues hiring (and not firing) ****ty coaches.

And ANY player speaking out against his HC in a negative manner is one dumbass player committing career suicide. 

Regardless of what you think, you don't do that or else your marked down by your current and any future HC as a locker room agitator they don't want in there. 

Player support in general means next to nothing. Here or in any other similar situation. 

Hail. 

Is that against other players as well?  Serious question because in the RG3 thread where players came out and said they don't have a problem with him after reports that they did

Okay, here's my question...

If we're going to have to bring about wholesale changes, first to the front office (removing Mike's GM role, finding a new GM), finding a new OC, finding a new DC, finding a new ST coordinator, plus an all new set off assistants, PLUS turning over most of the roster...why in the hell would we keep the guy who picked all the coaches and picked all the players and has been the general manager when we have to change ALL OF THAT?

As an aside, I gotta love the revisionist history on Schottenheimer.

Schottenheimer was and is a good HC. But Dan made the mistake of giving Marty absolute power (sound familiar?), and he ended doing crazy things like releasting Larry Centers and signing guys like Kevin Lockett to huge contracts. He also drafted Rod Gardner and forcefed him the ball. And the players hated him for the most part, especially Darrell Green who he kinda disrespected.

The reason Dan gave for firing him was shoddy (lol not having enough fun), and he probably deserved one more year at least, but I really doubt he would have even been better than Spurrier unless he brought in a GM. Ironically, the guy who really was responsibile for Marty's success in San Diego is here as a scout - yes AJ Smith is an asshole but he knows how to draft.

Is that against other players as well?  Serious question because in the RG3 thread where players came out and said they don't have a problem with him after reports that they did

By association yeah. Your not gona' be the one to openly speak out against, in this case, the franchise QB without being marked down as a bad locker room apple. 

Again, that goes for any locker room across the Country. 

Hail. 

If we lose out.

24-40

4.6 - 11.4

no thanks

Nah. No thanks.

"Take out the10-6 fluke of a season". So when we lose it's the coaching staffs fault but when we win it's a fluke? Gotcha. When am I going to stop being suprised by some of the stuff that I read?

I think Shanny has been one of the best offensive minds and coaches in the NFL for a long time. He probably still is.

However he has never been able to evaluate defensive coaches and players and that side of the ball has constantly been a drag on his teams. Also well coached teams don't have the number of penalties and blown timeouts we have had consistently under his reign here. As for our special teams .....

Then you add in all this he said/she said leaking going on at least some of which is coming from (or at least with the complicity of Shanny) and it's time to bring this to an end.

Ultimately in professional sports you are what your record says you are - and Shannys won/loss record here is not good enough to stay given the trajectory and tail spin we are currently in.

Archived