Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schottenheimer: No NFL coach better than Shanahan

truskinsfan18

People thinking it takes 5 years to change a team are fools

One coaches success is dependent upon the situation he came into, The Redskins might be the most poorly managed team in all of sports, and will continue to be until the franchise develops some consistency. Since Dan Snyder has taken ownership we have never tried sticking with the same system for longer than 4 years, IMO Shanny deserves the rest of his contract + one year because of his division title last year.

can someone get historic on me:  find me a coach in the history of the league that had a 24-40 record (or just 3 bad seasons, 6-10 or worse) over his first four seasons that:

A. kept his job

B. went on to have success with that team

Give me a little time and I shall give you an answer. 

Say in the SB era?

Hail. 

can someone get historic on me:  find me a coach in the history of the league that had a 24-40 record (or just 3 bad seasons, 6-10 or worse) over his first four seasons that:

A. kept his job

You are asking a question that fits for your agenda, yeah we know Shanny has been unsuccessful here.

How about this question, what are the worst franchises in the NFL over the past 15 years and how successful have their coaches been?

I don't put much stock in this.   Those guys probably go back 30 years in the coaching fraternity.  Coached against each other in the AFC West all those years.  Of course he's gonna have Shanahan's back.  I would've been shocked if he didn't speak highly of Shanahan.  And coaches generally don't rip other coaches anyway, even if they wanted to.  

You are asking a question that fits for your agenda, yeah we know Shanny has been unsuccessful here.

How about this question, what are the worst franchises in the NFL over the past 15 years and how successful have their coaches been?

Not sure what you're trying to get at here? Yes as a franchise we haven't been good the last 15 years. So are you saying we should keep Shanny because we've been bad before him?

if my agenda is "i want a coach that wins here" then im guilty as charged.

and thats very chicken or egg.  you can easily just say "no coach will win here because its a bad franchise" just as easily as you can say "any coach will win with the patriots because theyre a good franchise". 

the point is shanahan has had total control to turn this around, and hes 100% responsible for this failure.  time to move on to someone else.  if that fails so be, but you gotta get back on the horse and try again.  its definitely a cycle, but at some point we'll break out of it.

For all those wanting Shanahan gone, do you think it'll be good if Robert has to start from scratch again, learning a new system?  He's already behind because he missed last off-season.  Shanahan is an offensive minded coach.  Our offense has been very good for the most part when the QB isn't struggling.  Why not keep the same offense and focus on changing the defense and special teams?  Kyle will most likely move on, so the friction between him and Robert will be over with.  If our defense was very good, we'd win a lot more games, even when Robert's limping around.

For all those wanting Shanahan gone, do you think it'll be good if Robert has to start from scratch again, learning a new system?  He's already behind because he missed last off-season.  Shanahan is an offensive minded coach.  Our offense has been very good for the most part when the QB isn't struggling.  Why not keep the same offense and focus on changing the defense and special teams?  Kyle will most likely move on, so the friction between him and Robert will be over with.  If our defense was very good, we'd win a lot more games, even when Robert's limping around.

learning a new system is not this massive undertaking people think it is.  guys switch all the time and have success.

if shanahan does stick around, at a minimum all the coordinators need to go, but that looks so weird if the head coach stays and fires his 3 coordinators.  and if kyle goes, the system goes.  this isnt mikes system, its kyles isnt it?

plus mike has been pretty sub par in his roster construction, especially on defense.  the only way im cool with keeping mike is if a GM comes in and takes away drafting/player personnel decisions.

learning a new system is not this massive undertaking people think it is.  guys switch all the time and have success.

if shanahan does stick around, at a minimum all the coordinators need to go, but that looks so weird if the head coach stays and fires his 3 coordinators.  and if kyle goes, the system goes.  this isnt mikes system, its kyles isnt it?

plus mike has been pretty sub par in his roster construction, especially on defense.  the only way im cool with keeping mike is if a GM comes in and takes away drafting/player personnel decisions.

Well, it's apparently an undertaking for Robert, considering how he has struggled learning from the pocket.  Teams do change coordinators.  The Patriots changed both the DC and OC after they won the super bowl.  Yes, it was obviously a much better situation compared to our current one, but they did have significant changes with coordinators in one season.  Plus, if we do have significant changes, it probably won't all be done by firing.  Kyle will probably leave on his own.  The ST coach will be fired and nobody will blink an eye.  Haslett will probably be the only noticable firing.  Shanahan probably already has plans to replace Kyle with Kubiak, so the system won't be so different to the point where the entire team needs to learn a whole new system.

How would everyone feel if Snyder fired Shanahan after the season and he gets hired to be the Dallas Cowboys HC?

We could be looking at being knocked out of the playoffs for the next 8 years. Let alone have any chance of winning our division.

Don't be surprised since Jerry coveted Shanahan for years and would take him in a heart beat.

Shanahan could then hire Kubiak to be OC.

Then we could also watch Kyle go back to Houston and run a number one offense like he did before he came here

Be careful what you wish for because you could end up getting it

So??? Shanny has been awful. Let him go to Dallass. They seem to enjoy a circus atmosphere. You don't keep Shanahan because you're afraid of what he "might" do in the future. You don't run a team based on your opponents. You run a team for what's best for your team.

True, but how many PBs does this team have? RG3, DHall, Fletcher, Kerrigan, Orakpo, Williams have all been to the PB recently. I think last year we had 5 (RG3, Williams, Fletcher, Kerrigan and Alexander). So it's not like we didn't have talent like the Chiefs had/have.

My point was more year 1 for Shanahan. He had nothing to work with vs what Reid inherited.

My point was more year 1 for Shanahan. He had nothing to work with vs what Reid inherited.

Right, but Shanny has been here for 4 seasons. Yes, the cap penalty has hurt too, but it didn't have an effect last year. And actually, this team has been healthier than last year's team.

A. kept his job

Basically there's only been 11 coaches total in the SB era with an equal or worse record their first 4 years with only 2 keeping their jobs. Schwartz currently in Detroit and John McKay on the expansion Buccs who got an additional 5 years after taking them to the NFC Championship game in his and their 4th year. 

The only remotely successful guy that had as bad a losing record, kept his job and went on to glory encompassing the SB era was Tom Landry on the expansion Cowboys from '60 through '63. 

I have the full list if you want it. Just saving space and typing time here. 

Hail. 

Wanting Mike Shanahan to stay is like wanting someone to **** on your chest.

Sure, you may enjoy it, but at the end of the day, you're still getting **** on.

Comic relief is always welcomed in my home. Thank you

Hail

Funny that a lot of people that want to keep him are using our instability at the HC position as the reason. Not that he has done a good job or will do a good job. He was great 10+ years ago with Alex Gibbs, he must still be great right?

We must keep him, because we need stability. It doesn't matter how poor he has done. We need stability! <-------- This is not a good enough reason.

I cannot think of one good reason to keep Shanny right now.

I agree 100%. Stability is critical. 4 years of evaluation is all I personally need. The franchise can't be bullied into not hiring a real GM.

How long Dan?

If we hire Art Briles, that tells me the crap we've heard about the Griffin's is true.

That's not fair IMHO. Art Briles is a hot coaching candidate. The media spin is the most likely cause of any coach killing.

Good gravy! RG3 has had ONE healthy season here and already he's being labelled a "coach killer?!"

BTW -- did you read the Twitter messages that BossHog posted yesterday that were all in support of RG2 and RG3 by people who know them and by people with inside knowledge and even current and former players that said that the "rep" that the Press has given RG2 is B.arbara S. treisand?  So, again: the people who believe the nonsensical spin on BSPN and the NFL=TMZ Network and all of the idiotic sports blogs are gullible suckers! STOP believing everything that you are hearing from those sources!!!!!!! 98.9% of it is rubbish designed to keep you tuning in and clicking!

The NFL is a business of entertainment. Just sucks that the Redskins rarely gets tossed a bone in the script.

**** you Mara

3-11, 24-38 overall with Shanny having complete control. THAT is why you change the coach.

You can dig even deeper if you want, with Shannyleaks, hiring yes men assistants and bad coordinators, using RG3 as a pawn to try and get fired and collect unearned money, etc. But the record really is enough.

Much of the roster has to be turned over. Next year's locker room will be very different so feel not important.

I agree that the record is enough, but I disagree with turning the roster over. I feel like we have some good young players and with the right coaching and guidance, we can turn the corner. We have a half dozen older players on the roster that skew the average age of the team.

I agree that the record is enough, but I disagree with turning the roster over. I feel like we have done good young players and with the right coaching and guidance, we can turn the corner. We have a half dozen older players on the roster that skew the average age of the team.

How many of those guys are starting material man? That's the key there. We have young guys. Good depth. But not too much real quality. 

Having Schotferbrains defend Shanny is like when Dick Morris came out in support of Frank Griffin after ol' Frank got caught on tape cheating on his annoying wife, asking a stewardess in a hotel room for anal sex.

This had better be a hot looking trolley dolly when I look this up or I'm going to be VERY disappointed in you R-t. 

Just saying. 

Hail. 

Schottenheimer is correct, and he has some credibilty. He had us turning around but was too much of a disciplinarian for players and owner. Players complained to owner and the owner moved on. I believe Snyder has learned form this move of wanting control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/14/sports/pro-football-redskins-fire-schottenheimer-and-may-hire-spurrier-to-replace-him.html

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/theismann_joe/1311314.html

Shannahan gave RG3 a shot to come back likely against his desires or better judgement due to pressure. We watched Rg3 regress all season. Shanny is exactly what we need over the next 4-5 years. A coach that will play the best player, and coach RG3 up vs. allowing him not to improve his fundamentals. If we bring in a coach that coddles RG3, he will make no improvement to his fundametals--which are lacking because he is not a tradiitonal QB. And the entire organization will suffer. RG is still young and often times a much wiser Coach to step in. Rg3 doesn't know it and many of you don't either but Shanny is the best thing for his shot at longevity in the NFL. And I don't want to hear abut how he should have been taken out. RG3 did nto want to, and pulling him now is keeping him healthy and away from forming too many bad habits(Patrick Ramsey being hit over and over ruined him). Kepp Shanny, he inherited horrible personnel issues, and the cap. He deserves more time. I have at times not been a Shanny fan, but looking at the situation of owner, adn ego maniac player with an over involved father---Shanny is the only coach that can hold this together. Not sure he wants too though. You think this a circus now, lets watch player disputes, RG3 passing blame over the next 2 years if Shanny is not here.

Archived