Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins at Falcons

SkinsFanInTennessee

Some of you need to take a chill pill.

This team sucks, they've sucked all year. We have no shot at playoffs. We have a slim chance at not being last in the division.

There are three games left.

What exactly do we benefit from by going into OT vs just going for two and getting the heck out of there.

I don't see how you can say "This proves Shanny should go, to EVERYONE!"

That was the best Redskins football I've seen all year. Which is freaking sad because we gave away SEVEN turnovers.

Best QB play all year. Best offensive play all year. What changed? RG3. And I've been an "RG3 apologist" since he was drafted. The team was much better without him. Could it have been a fluke? Yeah. Am I saying RG3 needs to go? No. I'm just saying what I see.

We lost to a bad football team. We ARE a bad football team. But I can live with losing that way, and I feel like we had something to work with, rather than utter disgust, humiliation, and hopelessness I've had from every other game this year.

And the Falcons were playing alot of young players.

Something the Skins should have been doing.

You and I are watching different games then.

Cousins is much better at running an NFL offense. He reads the D, gets the ball out quick, and hits the open guy.

Yes he had two interceptions, but both of those were the right decisions. The WR was open both tiems. The problem is bad throws. When you're a guy who is consistently throwing with anticipation, and you don't have the best arm in the world, you'll throw picks. Cousins is very much like Eli or Flacco in this case, except not as physically gifted.

Cousins also consistently beat pressure with throws. He didn't look panicky in the pocket. He slid, moved well within, and delivered strikes.

Contrast that with RG3, who's best games this year have primarily been when he's also been a run threat. He had 11 carries in the Bears game, 6 carries in the Chargers game, and 7 carries in the Vikings game. He is not a QB who can beat you purely from the pocket, he benefits primarily from read option. That style is unsustainable.

They are two entirely different QBs and RG3 has not had a game like Cousins has had all year, and probably didn't all of last year either(but last year he was just so dynamic it wasn't really an issue, at least until he got hurt).

You are an idiot. Its the Falcons. WRs were running wild and there was no real pass rush. Next.

Lol, and to all those who think going for 2 is such a great high percentage move, why is it other teams NEVER go for 2 unless they are forced to?  99.9% of the time there the team kicks the extra point and goes to OT.

So, why isn't this "high percentage play" ever run by anyone else when they have another choice?

Idiotic way to waste a great comeback drive.

I wonder if the going for 2 was an FU to Snyder.

It's the coach of a 3-1o team gambling and losing. A lot of coaches in the smae position would make that call. Even ones who are concerned with their future.

I really think a lot of you guys need to stay away from sharp objects for the foreseeable future. And for all means, turn off BSPN and the NFL=TMZ Network!

So the coach does something smart, doesn't risk further injury to our guys, and he is an idiot for doing it?  You can hate all you want, I don't like Mike, but don't be ignorant.

Edit

Also, this nonsense about a possible extra drive in OT and a win would shoot KCs stock through the roof is some of the worst logic I've seen on here.  First off, he could have just as easily won the game on the last play there.  Second, you think someone who will trade for him just reads the box score and values him from that?  Get real guys.

Seriously? Well, let's just bench our starters and/or forfeit the last 2 games. Stupid decision.

He was mediocre to decent like he has been for us since he got here. Quit making excuses for him. Staaaaaahp.

In two starts, 67% completions, over 700 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs.  He's been better than you want to give him credit for.  I judge his starts and the relief appearances differently, because the relief appearances are usually under adverse circumstances, usually late in the game, down a few scores, in must pass situations. 

And listening to him in the presser, he's able to diagnose exactly what his mistakes were and why they were made.  That bodes well for him being able to get better.

Without the 7 turnovers, Redskins win this game easily. Looks like they might put it to the Cowboys next week. Philly just lost to Minny so they will be pulling very hard for us next week.

I don't have confidence though the defense will play that well 2 weeks in a row.  Dallas can put it you if you're not careful. 

Seriously? Well, let's just bench our starters and/or forfeit the last 2 games. Stupid decision.

What would it accomplish to go to OT?

I have a feeling you will say, to win the game. 

OK, well we have a team that turned the ball over 7 times.  7 TIMES!  I will take one play close to the endzone of driving down the field and running 15 plays, if they even got a chance to get the ball.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed.  This was basically the Vikings game all over again and it sucked for me.  I wanted to win.  Call me spiteful but I want the Rams pick to be as bad as it can be.  There was nothing fun about watching my team turn the ball over seven times.  That's ridiculous for a professional football team.  They gave the game away.

Of course it wasn't fun watching them turn it over 7 times, lol. What was fun is how we stayed in it and got to watch some very, very good QB play while our defense actually gave us a chance considering the amount of turnovers they had to deal with.

I mean, you didn't enjoy any of it? That last drive at least?   

dude. 7 turnovers. SEVEN. and they allowed 27 points. 

if that isnt holding........????????

I will agree that they played better today than almost any game this year. This WAS against another 3-10 team. And that isn't saying much about our defense!

I DID see good performances from Orakpo, Kerrigan, Deangelo, Baker, Cofield, and Amerson.

I also was upset with Shanahan's decision to go for the 2-point conversion. I think the Falcons spirits would have sagged, after letting us get back into the game so close to the end of the game, and that disappointment would have spilled over into the Falcons' overtime performance.

I thought the Skins D was being disruptive enough to stall any Atlanta drive, and that the Skins Offense was capable of moving it on the Falcons' D. Granted, the refs and the Skins STs could probably be negative factors, but overall I liked our chances going into OT.

During the presser -- Shanahan mentions how it looked from the personnel on the field, that the Skins had the winning play prepared against the defense that the Falcons was setting up. Something happened and perhaps the Falcons changed out of it -- but whatever, the Skins failed to call the timeout to instead just kick an extra point.

I guess I can understand that, but it's not a good reflection on Shanahan's ability to run a well-coordinated sideline during crunch time. From what I've seen this team hasn't been able to quickly change calls/strategies under time-pressure.

This game went down EXACTLY as I thought it would. KC made much of the same mistakes, the ST's was absolutely pathetic, the coaches ran an offense more conducive to an actual passing attack undoubtedly designed to showcase KC for trade bait, & the defense didn't make the plays necessary to win us a game when it mattered most.

I could care less what the stats may suggest about Atlanta's defense when compared to the Gnats, or 'Pukes...the eye test has spelled out an epic & unparalleled ineptitude on their part & a vegetable could have predicted an offensive explosion for this game. I would have bet the over on points if Rex Grossman was starting this game...without flinching. That's what I think of ATL'S defense.

Isn't it curious that Robinson finally finds himself open & ABLE TO CATCH THE BALL? Or that we run more multiple WR sets than, ever in a Shanahan run offense? Or that we ran more stretch boots than any time this year? Or that we threw 45 times with the passing game being the focal point of the offense?

This game against this ATL team should never have been this close. But it was because our ENTIRE TEAM IS THAT BAD.

Who knows at this point with so much speculation flying around. I mean...what if Shanahan actually called the season this way on purpose with the intent of creating adversity & humility for our franchise QB. Not as crazy as some of the the other theories being bandied about.

The Gnats look like they have also given up on the seaosn...so I predict a similar situation with KC coming out roses in that game. I expect that if Dallas wins today that they will run roughshod over us next week in DC.

Still...I expect us to lose all 3 games.

For some suggesting that we can only expect to get a #2 at best for KC, I would agree. Except...there's a scenario where we could end up with a top 3 pick. If K'S value runs that high...I could see him + a mid rounder getting us into the 1st. Also...With all the cap space...I don't think this franchise is beyond mortgaging more future picks for something this year.

I can't even begin to speak on Cousins's performance because I didn't see anything I didn't expect or predict. So it comes to bear that I see soooo many quick-trigger KC sycophants willing to put him in Matt Flynn status without even a remotely infinitesimally relative case file to make even a slightly relevant comparison.

Archived