Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

There is one possibility nobody has considered

That Shanny is shelving RGIII because of the beating he is taking and he wants him healthy going into OTAs. ;)

In all seriousness at this point in the season I actually like this decision. Lets find out what cousins is worth, lets rest RGIII and protect him, and lets play for the highest 2nd round pick we can get. I actually really like this idea

After watching he sure didn't sound like a coach that was going anywhere soon.

I had the same impression.  LOL what if this is Shanny's way of ensuring that Dan doesn't meddle with RG III at all next year?  I mean, Dan can't afford to fire Shanny right now and it's not just about the money.  It's more about what coach worth a damn would come and be a part of an organization that has left several coaches gone out the door and treated like crap.  Shanny holds all the cards.  I think it's underhanded of him but hey...if it works out and he gets total control next year with no interference from Danny then who knows. 

Whomever coaches Robert next year will need to break the tie he has with Dan.  If for no other reason than that he is seen as one of the management (like Donovan McNabb was accused of by the Eagles in the DMac vs TO rebellion).  Robert has a lot to learn and as a 2nd year player or even third year he hasn't earned the right to tell his OC how he should be utilized.

But that was done simply because he really hated Norv.

Firing Shanahan right now is practically needed to protect the franchise. I've never seen a coach trying to be so destructive on his way out the door.

What is here that is worth protecting?

Just a hypothetical.

What if Kirk comes in and looks fantastic, the whole team picks it up and we win the last three?  What if every time Kirk gets knocked down the O-linemen pick him back up?

I'm not saying this will happen but if Kirk plays the last three games and he plays better than RG3 and the rest of the team plays better around him, what do you do next year?

Just throwing this out to hear some thoughts. 

I would be done/

I actually wouldn't be simply because the ONLY way I can imagine him being back is if most of the speculation and procolomation from the media and "insiders" is complete BS that they trumpted because it fit their template and agenda...not because it was actually true. Basically, a giant ball of group think that took on a life of it's own.

IF the assumptions that the Media/"Insiders" keep putting out are true there is no concievable way Mike Shanahan is coaching here next year. None.

Which means to me that if somehow he IS coaching here...that all those assumptions were utter and completely garbage. That Shanny didn't leak the recent story, that Snyder wasn't trying to find a way to get out of the contract, that Griffin doesn't trust the Shanahan's and the Shanahan's never wanted griffin, etc. If Shanny's back next year, that tells me a lot of that was just a giant steaming pile of BS.

And if most of that stuff was BS, then a lot of the things that make me angry right now would not actually be making me angry. For example, like I said above. The potential benching of Griffin for the final 3 games pisses me off given the current storylines....but if those storylines were false and he's doing it with an honest eye towards next year, I'd not have a huge issue with it. There's a load of scenarios like that...things that make me angry, but only if the current "storyline" the media/"Insiders" are running with is actually true.

If Shanahan somehow makes it back next year, I have no issue with it. I would if Haslett or Burns makes it back, but not Shanny. I don't think its likely, and I think there's too much smoke now for the various things to likely turn out to be untrue...but if he somehow, someway, manages to be here day one of the 2014 season then I've got no issues with it because most of what I'm angry about is likely utter manufactured garbage.

A part of me wants Cousins to start and throw four touchdowns. It would be glorious.

Yeah, me too.  This season was lost long before a couple of weeks ago considering the remaining schedule.  RG's improvement was no on an upward curve and the chance of injury has been very high considering his comfort level in the pocket and the continual back peddle and getting planted.  I'd have started KC two games ago and switched them in an out after a couple of games.  Let RG learn watching and vice versa.  As I said... The season was over more than a couple of weeks ago.  Pretty much the writing was on the wall at seasons start that this was going to be a trying season.  Argue that all you want, but the record reflects that.  In fact we could be only a two win team right now.  Is RG the future?  I certainly hope so, but playing meaningless games for 60 minutes at this point is futile if not plain reckless.

There is one possibility nobody has considered

That Shanny is shelving RGIII because of the beating he is taking and he wants him healthy going into OTAs. ;)

Psst

The crazy thing is that if this entire fiasco with the leaks and everything wasn't happening and it looked like there was a legitimate chance Shanahan returns next year, then I'd say I'd have no issue with sitting Griffin the rest of the year. I wouldn't necessarily agree with it being the best choice or what I'd do, but I could understand and accept the logic.

Having him in there is just going to continue to reenforce the seeming "shell shocked" look that he's had all season long and I don't think will be massively condusive to really "developing" him as a pocket passer. Keep him healthy for the off season and focus entirely on next year. It makes sense...if it looked like it was being honestly done with an eye for next season.

;)

It largely to me depends on how much of all the stuff we're hearing from the media and insiders is actually legitimate nad how much of it is just manufactured stories based off assumptions and guesses in order to push an agenda driven template.

If none of the other stuff was going on right now, I'd absolutely buy he was doing it to assure he was healthy throughout the off season and ready for OTA's.

You know Andrew Luck wears a brace? Tom Brady Brace. Just stop...

If I recall... No I don't have too... There was a whole band here on ES last year to "lose the Brace! "  "his knee is fine!"  Bottom line is that brace isn't prohibiting him from pre reads or progressions.   RG has a lot of off season work to do, which no doubt he will.  But right now he's in danger of getting seriously hurt due to not knowing how to play in the pocket.  Scream foul if you will, but we all know it's true, whether we want to admit it or not.  

Just a hypothetical.

What if Kirk comes in and looks fantastic, the whole team picks it up and we win the last three?  What if every time Kirk gets knocked down the O-linemen pick him back up?

I'm not saying this will happen but if Kirk plays the last three games and he plays better than RG3 and the rest of the team plays better around him, what do you do next year?

Just throwing this out to hear some thoughts.

Then I thank my lucky stars that it may allow me to get a 1st round pick, or a 2nd and a 3rd, for Cousins and go from there.

Griffin's eventual cieling is much higher than Cousins is. And I think a healthy Griffin in his 3rd year is better than Cousins in the short term as well to be honest. While Cousins may be a "safer" bet (I'm not even sure about that), I'd take Griffin as the gamble every time because of the ceiling on his talent and ability.

Cousins coming in and doing great, to me, just improves his value to flip him.

Actually, him doing great for 3 games could be the best thing for us. Lets us flip him in the off season, reducing the chance of some kind of "controversy" occuring as we enter into Griffin's 3rd year coming off a subpar (and yet strangely, far from "bad") year.

I don't think Shanny is going anywhere this week and might just make it until the end of the season.

AS for Robert,  I don't think Briles is necessarily the right way to go.   It would reenforce the image that

the prima donna is calling the shots.  Would the players buy into Robert getting his former coach as the

Skins new coach?

Obviously, we are going to look for a coach who wants to work with RG3 and believes RG3 is the guy.  That's the coach that will be hired.  Thing is, what happens if after one season with Robert; that coach determines Robert isn't the answer.  Will Snyder accept the new guy's reason that the team needs to move on?    We've seen alot of teams have an incumbent young QB and a new coach come in. The new coach comes in and tries to work with that QB but ultimately decides that he needs his own QB and the incumbent QB needs to QB.   That's something Dan will be considering when he hires a new coach.

What is here that is worth protecting?

The owner's reputation and the public perception of the franchise quarterback.

Granted, the owner's reputation is already dirt and the public has already slowly been turning on RGIII. But you can't have the head coach going into business for himself this way. I just don't see how anything that Shanahan is doing is in the best long-term interests of the football team.

I am covering the Atlanta game this weekend, ugh. Sounded a little better in August.

I think this could be the most fascinating game of the Snyder Era. How often does a coach try to create a quarterback controversy while giving another team a #2 overall pick while shaking his butt at the owner in the same game?

Can you get Art to cover this with you? I want him to explain how this all makes perfect sense and how the Redskins are one step ahead of everyone else yet again - only we are too dumb to see it.

Red Lobster then said he's worried about the playing surfaces (turf) against the Falcons and Giants yet he throws RGIII in the sandpit against the Seahawks.

… Ugh… Hmmm… He said this, and then he's putting RG3 in the sandpit against the Seahawks? Or you mean … or maybe you didn't mean … but. Well, RG3 was put in the sandpit against the Seahawks, AND THEN, he said what he said about RG3 playing on turf. As a result of the Seahawks game. Get it?

Yeah, me too.  This season was lost long before a couple of weeks ago considering the remaining schedule.  RG's improvement was no on an upward curve and the chance of injury has been very high considering his comfort level in the pocket and the continual back peddle and getting planted.  I'd have started KC two games ago and switched them in an out after a couple of games.  Let RG learn watching and vice versa.  As I said... The season was over more than a couple of weeks ago.  Pretty much the writing was on the wall at seasons start that this was going to be a trying season.  Argue that all you want, but the record reflects that.  In fact we could be only a two win team right now.  Is RG the future?  I certainly hope so, but playing meaningless games for 60 minutes at this point is futile if not plain reckless.

Oh, I could give a **** less about anyone improving. I just want 8 months of crazy arguments.

Archived