Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Jacoby HOF semi-finalist

s0crates

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been posted already, but I didn't see it.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2013/11/20/Football-Hall-of-Fame-2014-Semifinalists/

Not much to say, but I think he deserves it. It would be cool to have him in there with Russ Grimm. The hogs might have been the best offensive line in the history of the game.

What are his chances of making the final cut?

YES.

Jake definitely needs to go in, not just as a great player in his own right, but he set the standard for the BIG 300+ lb lineman that could MOVE.

Our "Hogs" earned that nickname partly due to their size. When you watch a replay of Super Bowl 17,, you'll laugh when the announcer remarks in the introductions that Jacoby is a "behemoth" at 298 lbs.

298! that's a shrimp now. But Joe was the first with the size, the skill and the mobility required for modern offenses, and he set the standard.

Given that on a personal level he went from being an undrafted free agent / cut and on the street to an All Pro and a household name among knowledgeable fans is enough to warrant the recognition.

Everything Jake did in his career is worthy of hall recognition. he played both tackle positions and the occasional guard in emergencies,  i don't recall him ever at center.. but he moved all over the line as needed.

Joe Jacoby's ability helped revolutionize the game, and was a MAJOR part of our sustained success throughout his career.

Joe Jacoby for the Hall of Fame! He is arguably the MOST deserving Redskin of the era.

~Bang

Joe Jacoby 100% deserves to be in the HOF and it's hard for anyone to present a valid argument otherwise.

He wasn't even drafted in 1981 as the Skins took 5 offensive linemen in that draft.  Yet developed into a dominant left tackle that missed only 16 games during his entire career.

Take it from Bill Parcells, who saw Jacoby and the Skins up close for years and hear his take ---

Joe was certainly up there among the very best. Joe had a lot of toughness and he was a pretty smart player. We had difficulty fooling him. There were some very, very good speed rushers back then, and Joe did well against them. And he was pretty good in the running game, too. Joe was a very, very critical part in the championships [the Redskins] won.”

This might be Jacoby's best chance due to the relatively weak HOF nominee class.  Hope an all time great finally gets his due...

Congrats to "Big" Joe Jacoby, he definitely deserving o f being put into the Hall of Fame, however during the whole Art Monk debacle and debates put forth for not including him (Monk) into the HOF, I too wont be holding my breath.  Joe certainly merits a place in the Hall if the men responsible for voting, only held as much actual football knowledge and character it wouldn't even be a debate.

i don't know..   guys who revolutionize the game eventually tend to get their due. It may be a while, but he is indeed such a figure in the history of the NFL.

the fact he's made this list tells me that eventually it'll be reality.

~Bang

I too believe he's more worthy than Grimm though both deserve to be in.  I think Jim Lachey is badly overlooked too though injuries at the end of his career really hurt him but Grimm was a backup his last couple years in the league.  I really hope Jake starts getting HOF consideration

Jacoby was the anchor of the best Oline in our teams history, and maybe in the history of our great sport.

He deservres to be in the HOF.

Of all the things in pro sports, there is nothing quite like watching one of your heroes stand in front of the mic in Canton. The day Monk and Green got in will always stand out as a special day for me as a Skins fan.

I hope Big Joe gets his day as well. He's earned it.

Yeap, he deserves to go in. Just wondering if he has a chance.

One of the things I understand that kept him out were the times he would get beat in games by Lawrence Taylor getting around him. Which is BS because...

1. It's Lawrence Taylor, one of the best defenders to ever play football.

2. He also stopped Taylor just as much as well.

Hopefully, he will get in, but he may have to wait until his name goes to that committee.

For a long time, the only two representatives from the 'Skins teams of the 80's were Gibbs and Riggo.

Now there are 5: Gibbs, Riggo, DGreen, Art Monk and Russ Grimm.

I still think, for a team that went to 4 SBs in 12 years, and won 3 of them, (and tacked on another NFC Championship game), that's a little light on representation.  

Virtually the entire Steelers teams of the 1970's that went to and won 4 SBs is in the HOF. And deservedly so.  

Jacoby should be in.  Another representative of the Hogs.

EDIT: I'm not biased, or anything, though.  The only jersey I ever owned was a Jacoby jersey until I bought a Sean Taylor jersey.  

Archived