Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Surprised If Kirk Was Traded This Week?

End2round2sanders

^^^ I made this exact point in another thread last week. It is a perfect compliment for both teams.

I wasnt sure where else to bring this up, but the Texans are looking like the absolute perfect trade partner for Captain Kirk this offseason. The Texans are built to win and need someone to step in, not a 22 y/o rookie. Kirk would have any easy transition as Kubiak runs the same offense as Shanahan with the route terminology and zone running scheme. A 2014 2nd, 3rd (or 4th and 2015 3rd/4th) should do it. We'll then have a good bit of ammo to pick up an ILB, RT/G, WR by having 2 picks in the top 45 (4in the top 75).

We all saw what a back-up QB in Chicago did; but then again it was against Haslett's 'defense'.

This is the spark that Cousins brings; uncertainty in opposing defenses, not knowing what they're up against.

Why in blue hell would you want to trade away possibly the best back-up in the league? No.

We all see RGIII looks alot better, thank god, but he still has some issues he really needs to work on; Grossman is not the answer at back-up, Cousins is.

Be careful what you wish for, near sightedness is a devil wearing sunglasses selling you snowcones...

I think the question is multi fold.

The first is do you expect the defense and special teams to get fixed. Next, do you think RGIII holds up. If you think the season is lost and someone offers you a first then take it. After all Rex can get us to 6-10 or 8-8 just as well as Kirk and if he can't I'll take 5-11 plus a first over 7-9.

Not only would I be shocked if he was traded this week, but I'd be shocked if he was traded before the offseason  after 2014 season.  He's cheap, knows the offense, has shown he can step in and win games for us....and unfortunately, we have a dynamic starting QB who runs a lot and is coming off his 2nd ACL surgery.  The only way we trade him is like what most people said on here, an offer we can't refuse.

Kirk Cousins is Gary Kubiak. 

Kubiak was John Elway's back up in Denver. He was a genius, knew the playbook like the back of his hand. He performed well when he needed to step in. 

And hopefully finds his way back to the Shanahan tree (in Washington) when Houston goes 6-10 this year. 

Edit

After looking at stats, maybe Kubiak didn't perform that well. But either way, a smart backup to a mobile QB is a must in the NFL

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now.

Count me in with the "No way in Hades, does anyone offer a 1st round pick for a guy who was a 4th round pick and only played one complete whistle to whistle game" crowd.

Well, suggesting that nobody will give a high pick for a 4th rounder isn't really accurate.  He was projected by most draft scouts to be a 2nd round pick.   He just happened to slip, which is why Shanahan said he "stole" Cousins.  Cousins played very well in a must win game for us, plus demonstrated the "clutch" gene against the SB champion Ravens.   As some already mentioned, I think Houston would be a great fit for him if Kubiak remains the coach.

I'd be more in favor of trading Helu than Cousins.

RGIII goes down/ pulls something, crabs, etc, and you'd rather see Grossman backing him up?

This 'trade away our gems' mentality has turned into a roulette wheel of backfires for this team; we finally are getting some stability on offense, and now people are putting Cousins on the hook for all the fish to swim by, seeing which one bites. Thats an eggs-in-one-basket vision, and a vision which doesn't work in this league.

I'd be more in favor of trading Helu than Cousins.

RGIII goes down/ pulls something, crabs, etc, and you'd rather see Grossman backing him up?

This 'trade away our gems' mentality has turned into a roulette wheel of backfires for this team; we finally are getting some stability on offense, and now people are putting Cousins on the hook for all the fish to swim by, seeing which one bites. Thats an eggs-in-one-basket vision, and a vision which doesn't work in this league.

The difference between Helu and Cousins is that Helu is actually an asset to our team on a weekly basis. Cousins is a POTENTIAL asset in the worst case scenario that Griffin gets hurt. Honestly though, if your starting QB goes down you should expect your season to be done. If we can get a 2nd for Cousins I absolutely think we should pull the trigger. Gonna need some picks this draft for WR, RT, ILB...

And I don't think Crabs are going to keep Griffin out of any games, though it certainly would be unfortunate.

Kirk Cousins is Gary Kubiak.

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now.

See, I disagree here. I can see a fair chance he won't be satisfied with a "permanent backup" role.

Cousin, when given the start, shined in a way Kubiak never did...both in the Preaseason and the regular season. He's also had a mixed bag, but some good moments, when tasked to "fill-in".

Most importantly, the IMPRESSION currently is that he could be a legitimate NFL starter. Often, perception matters more than reality. If that perception remains by the time free agency rolls around, there's very few reasons to suspect that Kirk Cousins would choose to remain a life long backup to RG3 rather than try and go to a place where he could compete for a starting position. The one thing to possibly keep him would be money...and it's unlikely we'd have the ability to offer a backup a more appealing financial contract than another team could offer a starter or at least potential starter.

I'm not saying that means we trade Cousins now. I'm not an advocate for that unless you get something that blows your doors off (First round pick, pair of second, would be my general definition for that). But I do think we end up trading him prior to him becoming a FA and I do think that's the smart thing to do because I can't see him staying here in Free Agency.

Unless of course he plays off poorly that it hurts his stock, in which case we then question whether or not we desperately want to hold onto him as a backup to begin with.

Personally i am surprised ES members keep bringing up this time and time again.  Not going to happen...Al Davis is not alive is he?  

Apparently he IS alive ! :ph34r:

The difference between Helu and Cousins is that Helu is actually an asset to our team on a weekly basis. Cousins is a POTENTIAL asset in the worst case scenario that Griffin gets hurt. Honestly though, if your starting QB goes down you should expect your season to be done. If we can get a 2nd for Cousins I absolutely think we should pull the trigger. Gonna need some picks this draft for WR, RT, ILB...

And I don't think Crabs are going to keep Griffin out of any games, though it certainly would be unfortunate.

I realize they are on different platforms, but considering Mike has a knack for finding gems in RBs, Helu would be the choice.

But giving up on the season because the starting QB goes down isn't the approach to take; thats why there's a back-up QB

to begin with. He stepped in last year and didn't just manage the game, he won the game, and if Rex were in there, i'd doubt we would have even won the division last year.

Its not a position the Redskins are familiar with, and I can see where some would say trade Cousins, but this is a unique case, especially with a mobile QB with prior injuries, and if RGIII gets hot and we battle our way back into contention, and somehow RGIII gets hurt, Cousins is by far the best hope we have, and he's already proven it.

On a side note, maybe defensive players wouldn't want to touch RGIII if he had crabs, but neither would his wife, so its a win/lose thing. :P

Mike hasn't said if he wants to stay beyond his current contract and his being asked to do so isn't certain.  Considering that Shanahan and Allen are only reasonably sure to be here this year and next I think any trade for Cousins would have to be immediately beneficial.  My point is that two picks in this upcoming draft or a player would be more appealing than two 2nd round picks with one of them being after 2014.  

If an offer that helped the skins right away, or this off season, came in that was high enough I think the Redskins would pull the trigger.  A first round pick would do it, obviously.  A player would do it as well, if someone offered a good young player at a position the Redskins need I could see them agreeing.  I do think it would take a lot however because there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding RG3's health and it appears that he has to run a lot in order to have success.  They won't trade their insurance policy away for cheap.     

You guys are nuts if you think anyone gives up a 1st round pic for cousins.. teams are weary of the Flynn scenario.. and lets be honest there are a lot more Flynns out there than Warners..

i think a 2nd & 4th would be a good pull.. anything less then that does not make sense for Skins.. i doubt he goes anywhere this year though. I do fully expect him to be shopped around in the off season.

this can be a fun, if not extremely futile exercise.  let's see here:

1) Cleveland Browns - Hoyer out, Weeden blows.  i'd be ok with a KC for Josh Gordon trade straight up.  or i'd even be willing to toss in a 3rd (& maybe stretch it to a 2nd...maybe) if they include Joe Hayden.

likelihood - 10%-15%...i don't think they are interested in letting Josh Gordon go anymore.

2) STL Rams - Bradford out, no backup worthy of NFL play.  as they currently are trying out possible QB's (with the T-word being tossed around liberally out there), & they still consider themselves playoff contenders...there's some certain opportunity here.  i'd say give us back the #1 or give us theirs.....but that will never happen in reality.  maybe we could package something for Finnegan or Jenkins...but otherwise the Rams just don't have anything the Redskins would realistically value in return for KC.

likelihood - <10%

3) Minn. Vikings - Cassel is wishy-washy with injuries, Ponder is out for a spell.  Adrian.........hahahaha...yeah right.  there's really nothing here of value besides a #1 or maybe a 2nd & a 3rd.  if we could get Harrison Smith...then we could be talking......but as he's really their only asset moving forward not named AP, i seriously doubt it.

likelihood - <6%

4) Philadelphia Eagles - Vick is healthy about as much as much as he reads past his first read, Foles was ineffective, & Barkley was awful.  still...they JUST drafted Barkley & Foles & they are a bitter divisional rival with playoff aspirations still in effect.  i hear a lot saying Maclin is feasible...i say that's boo-boo.  Maclin + a 3rd & maybe i'd consider it.  otherwise...again...they have so little we would value at this point & i really don't see us helping them out with a credible QB for anything short of a 1st rounder.  still...stranger things have happened.

likelihood - nil

5) Arizona Cardinals - Palmer is proving to be, well...Carson Palmer.  Arizona's defense keeps them in games still & who knows...if they could get a consistent QB who doesn't give away INT's like they were candy in October, then perhaps they could make a serious playoff run with the NFC in relative shambles.  there's some potential here, though i don't believe they'd be willing to give up anything that would hinder their ability to contend this year.  that rules out Peterson, & Fitz...though Fitz would be a nice addition to be sure.  there could be room for a blockbuster of sorts...sending Helu Jr. & KC for Fitz & Dansby, or replacing Dansby in the deal with Peterson if we sweeten it significantly, & by significantly i mean we really don't have the scratch.  still, again...don't think any of this is likely.  most likely would be a #1 or 2nd & 3rd for KC at best.

likelihood - 12%...they are Arizona & could be desperate enough to part with either of those pic scencarios.  i'd say player deals would be nil.

6)  Chicago Bears - this one would be very low to me only because a) Cutler may not be that seriously injured & B) McCown seems more than capable of doing a lot of the same things as Cutler with some added mobility.  that said, McCown showed to be more reckless when running than Vick...& that's hard to say.  i don't think McCown will have a long shelf-life if he keeps that up & that could mean an insurance policy is desperately needed.  possibilities here include Alshon Jeffrey, Major Wright, Tillman, or Melton.  i could see a package with Melton & Tillman if we add a mid-rounder, i think Jeffrey is all but out of the question without adding a guy like Morgan.  maybe we could swing something for Hester in this deal...but i doubt it.

likelihood - <5% don't really believe the Bears will be quite in panick mode yet.

7) TB Buccaneers - QB debacle.  i really see them tucking & shelling for the rest of this season with Martin going out.  i think they'll just try to groom Glennon, & work with their parts towards a low draft pick.  don't really see many options here except for maybe Mike Williams.  i would want way more in return, but i just don't see them giving up much so they can do little better.

likelihood - nil

8) Houston Texans - Keenum vs. Schaub.  that's where it stays imho.  i really don't see them pushing the panic button just yet, & they certainly won't give up anything we need.  a 1st is possible here if they think it won't stay in the upper 1st, but i just don't see it happening.  possible players involved?  that depends...if they go fire-sale mode, then i doubt KC is worth-while for any younger parts.  Ed Reed? seriously doubt it.  Johnson?  he is older & maybe if they decided to give up on this season i could see a smidgen of a possibility here.  realistically it would be a tough sell simply because of his contract & our cap issues for this season, & i really don't see us moving any of our more expensive parts. 

likeliehood - 18% for a draft pick...one of the more likely scenarios flying around.  <2% for a player...we don't have the cap-space or the make-weight players.

9)  Jax Jaguars - Gabbert vs. Henne - don't see it.  a) they like Henne, sort of. & B) they're likely in the running for whatever QB wins the lottery.  possibly Bridgewater.  they aren't in contention & have nothing of value besides yound talent that would serve them better to keep & try to build around.  i've heard a smat or two about Blackmon (get real) or Shorts (not too far off if they weren't 0-6 with absolutely no hope of a turnaround), & even Poszluzny's name thrown around.  my response is get real.  Jacksonville wants to continue to be bad for so many reasons given the upcoming draft pool at QB...but essentially, they'd have to believe KC is a savior of the franchise for any trade to be possible at that spot & i don't believe they're that gullible.  don't get me wrong, KC is a worthy option to manage some wins for an already capable club & so there's value there if a team wants to try to stay in the hunt after losing their homogenous options at QB.  what's more is i don't see us willing to part with him for very little.  so i really think it comes down to how much better do they think KC will make them.

likelihood - nil.

in all complete honesty........Arizona for Fitz would be my greatest hope.  Peterson is a pipe-dream...either Peterson.  to me the best possible hope for reality would be for the Viking's Harrison Smith or a high pick from Houston or Arizona.  otherwise it's all just another fun & useless conversation that i love to take part in.  it's what makes sports most interesting to me.

Archived