Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Surprised If Kirk Was Traded This Week?

End2round2sanders

3) Minn. Vikings - Cassel is wishy-washy with injuries, Ponder is out for a spell.  Adrian.........hahahaha...yeah right.  there's really nothing here of value besides a #1 or maybe a 2nd & a 3rd.  if we could get Harrison Smith...then we could be talking......but as he's really their only asset moving forward not named AP, i seriously doubt it.

likelihood - <6%

you do know that Josh Freeman is their starter...right? 

Wut?  Never gonna happen.  I'd even bet that we keep him at the end of the season.  Seriously, if RGIII were to break a finger, (or some other injury that would take him out of "the remainder of the game"), and we were winning, Kirk is our best chance at securing that win. 

I think Kirk is worth a low 1st round pick.  His contract and potential warrant more than a high #1.  Maybe a #1 and a #3 because thats what it would take to replace Kirk.

Kirk has been extremely classy and it seems like the perfect backup to RG3 for now.  I think he could and likely will be a starter because it seems like he has the leadership and other intangibles neccessary to lead men successfully in the NFL.

Nah we need to hang on to Kirk for a while longer. Eventually we will win in a blowout and he will get a chance to showcase his skills and peak his value. I am not fully convinced Robert wont have some kind of setback at some point in the near future so the best thing to do is hang onto him. Maybe the Rams will give us a first and third for him. then I would be interested.

;)

this can be a fun, if not extremely futile exercise.  let's see here:

1) Cleveland Browns - Hoyer out, Weeden blows.  i'd be ok with a KC for Josh Gordon trade straight up.  or i'd even be willing to toss in a 3rd (& maybe stretch it to a 2nd...maybe) if they include Joe Hayden.

likelihood - 10%-15%...i don't think they are interested in letting Josh Gordon go anymore.

2) STL Rams - Bradford out, no backup worthy of NFL play.  as they currently are trying out possible QB's (with the T-word being tossed around liberally out there), & they still consider themselves playoff contenders...there's some certain opportunity here.  i'd say give us back the #1 or give us theirs.....but that will never happen in reality.  maybe we could package something for Finnegan or Jenkins...but otherwise the Rams just don't have anything the Redskins would realistically value in return for KC.

likelihood - <10%

3) Minn. Vikings - Cassel is wishy-washy with injuries, Ponder is out for a spell.  Adrian.........hahahaha...yeah right.  there's really nothing here of value besides a #1 or maybe a 2nd & a 3rd.  if we could get Harrison Smith...then we could be talking......but as he's really their only asset moving forward not named AP, i seriously doubt it.

likelihood - <6%

4) Philadelphia Eagles - Vick is healthy about as much as much as he reads past his first read, Foles was ineffective, & Barkley was awful.  still...they JUST drafted Barkley & Foles & they are a bitter divisional rival with playoff aspirations still in effect.  i hear a lot saying Maclin is feasible...i say that's boo-boo.  Maclin + a 3rd & maybe i'd consider it.  otherwise...again...they have so little we would value at this point & i really don't see us helping them out with a credible QB for anything short of a 1st rounder.  still...stranger things have happened.

likelihood - nil

5) Arizona Cardinals - Palmer is proving to be, well...Carson Palmer.  Arizona's defense keeps them in games still & who knows...if they could get a consistent QB who doesn't give away INT's like they were candy in October, then perhaps they could make a serious playoff run with the NFC in relative shambles.  there's some potential here, though i don't believe they'd be willing to give up anything that would hinder their ability to contend this year.  that rules out Peterson, & Fitz...though Fitz would be a nice addition to be sure.  there could be room for a blockbuster of sorts...sending Helu Jr. & KC for Fitz & Dansby, or replacing Dansby in the deal with Peterson if we sweeten it significantly, & by significantly i mean we really don't have the scratch.  still, again...don't think any of this is likely.  most likely would be a #1 or 2nd & 3rd for KC at best.

likelihood - 12%...they are Arizona & could be desperate enough to part with either of those pic scencarios.  i'd say player deals would be nil.

6)  Chicago Bears - this one would be very low to me only because a) Cutler may not be that seriously injured & B) McCown seems more than capable of doing a lot of the same things as Cutler with some added mobility.  that said, McCown showed to be more reckless when running than Vick...& that's hard to say.  i don't think McCown will have a long shelf-life if he keeps that up & that could mean an insurance policy is desperately needed.  possibilities here include Alshon Jeffrey, Major Wright, Tillman, or Melton.  i could see a package with Melton & Tillman if we add a mid-rounder, i think Jeffrey is all but out of the question without adding a guy like Morgan.  maybe we could swing something for Hester in this deal...but i doubt it.

likelihood - <5% don't really believe the Bears will be quite in panick mode yet.

7) TB Buccaneers - QB debacle.  i really see them tucking & shelling for the rest of this season with Martin going out.  i think they'll just try to groom Glennon, & work with their parts towards a low draft pick.  don't really see many options here except for maybe Mike Williams.  i would want way more in return, but i just don't see them giving up much so they can do little better.

likelihood - nil

8) Houston Texans - Keenum vs. Schaub.  that's where it stays imho.  i really don't see them pushing the panic button just yet, & they certainly won't give up anything we need.  a 1st is possible here if they think it won't stay in the upper 1st, but i just don't see it happening.  possible players involved?  that depends...if they go fire-sale mode, then i doubt KC is worth-while for any younger parts.  Ed Reed? seriously doubt it.  Johnson?  he is older & maybe if they decided to give up on this season i could see a smidgen of a possibility here.  realistically it would be a tough sell simply because of his contract & our cap issues for this season, & i really don't see us moving any of our more expensive parts. 

likeliehood - 18% for a draft pick...one of the more likely scenarios flying around.  <2% for a player...we don't have the cap-space or the make-weight players.

9)  Jax Jaguars - Gabbert vs. Henne - don't see it.  a) they like Henne, sort of. & B) they're likely in the running for whatever QB wins the lottery.  possibly Bridgewater.  they aren't in contention & have nothing of value besides yound talent that would serve them better to keep & try to build around.  i've heard a smat or two about Blackmon (get real) or Shorts (not too far off if they weren't 0-6 with absolutely no hope of a turnaround), & even Poszluzny's name thrown around.  my response is get real.  Jacksonville wants to continue to be bad for so many reasons given the upcoming draft pool at QB...but essentially, they'd have to believe KC is a savior of the franchise for any trade to be possible at that spot & i don't believe they're that gullible.  don't get me wrong, KC is a worthy option to manage some wins for an already capable club & so there's value there if a team wants to try to stay in the hunt after losing their homogenous options at QB.  what's more is i don't see us willing to part with him for very little.  so i really think it comes down to how much better do they think KC will make them.

likelihood - nil.

in all complete honesty........Arizona for Fitz would be my greatest hope.  Peterson is a pipe-dream...either Peterson.  to me the best possible hope for reality would be for the Viking's Harrison Smith or a high pick from Houston or Arizona.  otherwise it's all just another fun & useless conversation that i love to take part in.  it's what makes sports most interesting to me.

You really think the Cards would give up their future HOF WR for Kirk Cousins?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  I don't think any teams are going to be interested tbh.  The Rams, well, they get two 1st rounders next year too and if needed could draft another QB.  And the Browns, well its the Browns and I'm sure they are still ticked off that the Rams didn't trade with them and they missed out on RG3, which probably means they would not be willing to do business with us.  

I could be wrong, but with the new rookie salary cap (i.e. teams don't have to break the bank to sign these kids anymore), its less risk to draft a QB high than ever before.  Long gone are the days of giving out contracts like Sam Bradfords (six-year, $78 million deal, which has $50 million of guarantees and has a maximum value of $86 million making it the largest contract ever for an NFL rookie).  

RGIII's contract - four-year deal, $21.1 million contract with a $13.8 million signing bonus.

I personally think this alone is going to make teams re-think overpaying in FA or trades (i.e. overpaying in draft picks) for unproven QBs based off a couple of games.  I know Flynn got 3 year, $20 million, 9 mil guaranteed, but it was based on a couple of games.  Now teams see this and realize that they can get a promising rookie cheaper (since its over 4 years) and save money.

I can't envision a team trading anything of value to get a QB midseason.   It'll be a month before he knows the offense and can really give you anything.   By then, if you needed him today, you're probably out of the race by the time he's ready to roll.  We saw what Josh Freeman went through after 2 weeks.  A QB's going to need time to get assimilated.  Anything that happens with Kirk will happen in the offseason, if at all.  

You really think the Cards would give up their future HOF WR for Kirk Cousins?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  I don't think any teams are going to be interested tbh.  The Rams, well, they get two 1st rounders next year too and if needed could draft another QB.  And the Browns, well its the Browns and I'm sure they are still ticked off that the Rams didn't trade with them and they missed out on RG3, which probably means they would not be willing to do business with us.  

I could be wrong, but with the new rookie salary cap (i.e. teams don't have to break the bank to sign these kids anymore), its less risk to draft a QB high than ever before.  Long gone are the days of giving out contracts like Sam Bradfords (six-year, $78 million deal, which has $50 million of guarantees and has a maximum value of $86 million making it the largest contract ever for an NFL rookie).  

RGIII's contract - four-year deal, $21.1 million contract with a $13.8 million signing bonus.

I personally think this alone is going to make teams re-think overpaying in FA or trades (i.e. overpaying in draft picks) for unproven QBs based off a couple of games.  I know Flynn got 3 year, $20 million, 9 mil guaranteed, but it was based on a couple of games.  Now teams see this and realize that they can get a promising rookie cheaper (since its over 4 years) and save money.

Arizona's seen this movie with Kevin Kolb, I doubt they make that mistake again so soon.  My guess is they ride what's left of Palmer to the bitter end and draft their new QB in April.  

forgive me for stating...but you didn't read that whole thing much more than skimming huh? lol. a) i stated this would be a futile but fun exercise.  B) look at the probability percentile at the bottom of each supposition.  c) i said i highly doubt the 'Cards would be interested in any player deal, but that a 1st rounder would be somewhat likely if they believed it would make them playoff contenders. 

the exact quote actually was:

"likelihood - 12%...they are Arizona & could be desperate enough to part with either of those pic scencarios.  i'd say player deals would be nil."

i know it was a wall of text...but i was bored.  please do us all the favor of reading & comprehending a piece in its entirety though before refuting its finer points.

that is all.

so, assuming Kirk doesn't get traded who would be the likely teams to try to trade him to next year?

In the AFC a lot of teams seems set.  Cleveland is likely to draft a QB.  At Houston Schaub will be 33 and he seems banged up, so it might depend on Case Keenum.  Jacksonville will have the first pick in the draft probably, but they're terrible with tons of problems and they blew it drafting a QB just a few years ago.  So they might like a lower risk guy.  

In the NFC Jay Cutler will be a free agent so Chicago might make a go.  Tampa might take a shot.  Arizona always is looking for a QB.  

so, assuming Kirk doesn't get traded who would be the likely teams to try to trade him to next year?

It will depend on who is available in free agency and then later in the offseason it will depend on where QB needy teams are picking in the draft and the quality of QBs that will be available to them.

Arizona will be a good potential candidate because they won''t have a high enough pick yet will want to move on from Palmer. If the Freeman experiment doesn't work then maybe Minnesota kicks the tires. Jags will have a top 5 pick, probably #1. Browns I think will work with Hoyer. Tampa will pick top 5 also, probably go QB like Jags. If Keenum winds up sucking in Houston maybe they give us a call if Kubiak stays. The Rams are a possibility since they have multiple picks.

If it happens in the offseason, big if, I'd say AZ and STL are the prime candidates.

It will depend on who is available in free agency and then later in the offseason it will depend on where QB needy teams are picking in the draft and the quality of QBs that will be available to them.

Arizona will be a good potential candidate because they won''t have a high enough pick yet will want to move on from Palmer. If the Freeman experiment doesn't work then maybe Minnesota kicks the tires. Jags will have a top 5 pick, probably #1. Browns I think will work with Hoyer. Tampa will pick top 5 also, probably go QB like Jags. If Keenum winds up sucking in Houston maybe they give us a call if Kubiak stays. The Rams are a possibility since they have multiple picks.

If it happens in the offseason, big if, I'd say AZ and STL are the prime candidates.

I thought Bradford was playing well for the Rams before his injury.  Wasn't he hurt early enough in the season that he should be recovered by their training camp?

I thought Bradford was playing well for the Rams before his injury.  Wasn't he hurt early enough in the season that he should be recovered by their training camp?

They had a fairly easy schedule and he still wasn't amazing, though not as bad as before. He's coming up on the end parts of his contract, so higher money since he was signed before the rookie wage scale, he'll have to come back from yet another major injury, this time an ACL. I could see STL taking this opportunity to move on and get similar or better performance from someone much cheaper and potentially more durable. They could stick with him though, which wouldn't be surprising there either though the Rams fans I know are ready to move on.

Cousins would be great fit Houston Texans and vice versa... I went to University of Houston for grad school so I watched Keenum play alot in college... I really appreciate what he brought to the table at U of H but he was an undrafted draft pick for a reason...  If I were Kubiak, I would definitely call to see what it would take to get Cousins over there.  Cousins already KNOWS their offense. What a great fit for the Texans....

I don't think he'll be traded unless he wants to be.  And let's look at last season...

He tasted the playoffs in his rookie year.  And not only that, he helped us get there!!  (If not for rookie nerves, I don't think he would've thrown the 2nd INT in the Atlanta game, and we could've won that game, too.)

While I don't think he wants to pass up opportunity, I think he's proud of what he & the team have done over the past two seasons...

playoffs may seem unreachable now, but it seemed so last year as well, we came together & got it done. 

Hail!

Archived