Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Surprised If Kirk Was Traded This Week?

End2round2sanders

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/injured-quarterback-updates-cutler-bradford-foles-knocked-sunday-213854164--nfl.html?vp=1

It was a tough day for a few quarterbacks around the NFL. For the Bears and Rams, it might be a tough few weeks as they try to replace their injured starters.

Chicago's Jay Cutler, St. Louis' Sam Bradford and Philadelphia's Nick Foles were all knocked out of Sunday's games with injuries. Cutler and Bradford looked to be in a lot of pain from their injuries, and the respective teams have to be hoping the injuries aren't as bad as they looked.

Bradford was dragged down by Panthers safety Mike Mitchell as he headed to the sideline. He went down in a lot of pain, was carted off and the Rams said it was a left knee injury...

Read more above.

That being said, with teams with serious playoff aspirations now without their go to QB's, is it too far fetched to think the skins aren't getting calls about Kirk Cousins right now? I know with Philly Vick can be back any week now, and in Chicago we don't know how serious the Cutler injury is because face it we saw the play he didn't look like he was hit real hard but his body language speaks otherwise.

Would you be surprised if Kirk was moved this week, and if rumors swirled of a sweet offer how would you react?

Things are possibly pretty bad with Cutler.  They are waiting on an MRI and they re-signed a QB from pre-season immediately after the game.

All things considered, it would be the right timing for Chicago -- they have a bye this coming week (seriously, who wasn't blown away from the stat during the game that this is the Bears' only game in a 24-day period, thanks to Thursday night game, a bye, and MNF in two weeks).

That said, I wonder what we'd get for Cousins in a trade.  I think teams have wised up to the Cassel/Flynn situations, although a guy who can start for you is certainly at a premium.

Why would any team with legit playoff aspirations trade for a guy with less than 3 games of tape? It makes more sense to start your back up, who actually knows the scheme and players.

I really think the days of Kevin Kolb trades are done. Too many teams end up getting screwed. So if we aren't getting top dollar in return, we keep Kirk

If he gets traded, it's during an offseason where he can actually learn the new scheme

Were we watching the Redskins game today? McCown did fine as a back-up and I'd sooner keep working with him in that system than trading a high pick for Kirk. Eagles, first I highly doubt we trade within our division, second they'll have Vick back soon and Foles' injury is unknown.

Maybe STL is a possibility if Bradford is out for season, also seems they may try to move on from him too since he has been mediocre his whole career and expensive since he was drafted before the rookie wage scale was installed. 

But it's going to have to be a team that feels it has a shot this season but has lost its starter for the season OR a team that has lost its starter until late in the season/entire season and they are ready to move beyond their starter, because nobody is going to trade for Kirk for just a few weeks until their starter comes back. Even if Cutler is lost for the season, the team believes in him so they won't spend a high pick for Cousins, even if they didn't have McCown.

I would have said Minnesota was very possible if Freeman hadn't become available. If Hoyer hadn't looked good maybe the Browns. Jacksonville is going to replace Gabbert next season with a QB drafted top 5. Houston has Keenum looking good, so no there. Pryor is looking good in OAK, so other than STL IF Bradford is gone for the season I'm not seeing another team that would seriously consider the move for Kirk, well, MAYBE the Cardinals, but that would more likely occur in the offseason.

Have to admit, it crossed my mind, specifically with Bradford (feel bad for that dude :( ) and the whole thing with them having our pick.

At which point, I laugh away the thought, because a first for Cousins just isn't happening.  Yea, it would take a move like the Palmer one, but Palmer was at least established.  Not happening.  

A second?  Well, we don't have the first next year.  We've drafted well in later rounds ( getting Amerson and Reed 2 and 3rd for instance), so having two 2nds sounds nice and all, but I think Kirk is still too important.

I liked it when we drafted him, and I liked it even more when Kirk did his thing late last year.  I loved it, the unique situation where a team has 2 rookie quarterbacks with big upsides.  I mean, you have one with superstar upside, and the other that only took a couple games for people to call him starter quality on other (bad, but still) teams.  I don't want that to break.

Previous knee injuries for RG3 or no, look how Cutler went down, just randomly.  I think Shannahan fully understands the importance of the backup.  Hell, I dunno how long Josh freaking McCown has been with the Bears, but his performance (mostly) showed what it means to have a guy in the system.  Kirk Cousins was born in our system, I want him around for as long as possible.

Phone calls, maybe.  If anyone's calling they're going to have to bring an offer-you-can't-refuse kind of thing, and I don't expect that. 

Can't believe this is STILL being suggested...

No way Cousins is getting traded this season... I would say it is more likley that Cousins will not get traded until after the 2014 season...

Cousins is signed through the 2015 season... No real reason for us to trade him away earlier than that unless someone is calling with a "too good to refuse" offer...

Unless its a ridiculous offer like the one that brought Palmer to Oakland I think he stays for a while.

With all the discussion many of us addressed as needs for next year I think what we would trade and get in return for cousins would still leave us with yet another hole we would have to fill and that is a solid backup. We have that now and he's still contract for a few more years. Next year is another story after we address the things we would have if we weren't restricted by the cap penalty.

Grossman is a solid backup. I don't think we need a backup that be a QB of the future. And while are trying to hold onto Cousins till the last year and trade him. Teams aren't going to trade for him then. Just let him hit FA. We're not going to be able to franchise him either. Thats the year RG3 2nd contract should be worked out.

I honestly don't see us trading Captain Kirk away right now.

If someone calls for a QB, I would suggest them Rex Grossman. He's a good vet. He can get the job done, even if he makes mistakes here and there. He would be cheaper as well.

And honestly, Grossman deserves to play again. Even for every mistakes he made, he never quit and never complained. so, yeah, I would rather trade him, STL or JAX could use him ASAP.

But, Kirk? hell no. I fear he'll be our long term solution over RG3 id he doesn't stat healthy.

For those who say a high pick can't be attained I ask the question why?  There's been more than a decade of high trades and for a couple of simple reasons.  First, QBs are highly valued.  2nd, why on Earth would a team trade their important back up for a fifth or even a third?  If you are going to give away a guy that everyone in the league thinks can fill in and could be better than just a starter you need some serious return.  After all, RGIII has a history of injury.  Apparently, he must be a mobile qb to be effective and we have a poor line, a combo that means the qb will get hit.

So, if a team needs a guy and thinks our guy is their guy... they don't trade for value, they pay a premium.

Barring an obscene offer, I wouldn't pull the trigger now. I want RG to make it through this season first. More importantly, if there is a team out there that loves KC as much as I do, then what they likely want to do is bring him on board in the spring and hand him the keys with a full off season of work.

The Browns make sense to me. Weeden is awful. Bust. Hoyer looked good, but he's been around awhile and is now coming off an ACL. They have two firsts next year, but likely don't want to start completely over with a rookie again and it doesn't look like either of those firsts will be top picks.

No.

McNown is a better back up than Cousins, especially since he's very familiar with the Bears' offense.

The Rams aren't making the playoffs, so why would they worry about getting a QB to get them there? They'll use the rest of the season as an extended pre-season and evaluate where they need to go in the draft.

The Rams give us back our 1st round pick and we ship Cousins and our 7th to ST Louis. The Rams get a young QB to groom as a francise guy to replace Bradford long term. Just because they arent contending this year doesnt mean they dont need to find that franchise guy for the future and Kirk is the best young prospect in the league today.

I would be awesome. We could then see people argue to put Grossman in every time Griffin makes a mistake.

I'd love it.

Even worse they re-sign Pat White and there is another back up controversy. 

Can't believe this is STILL being suggested...

No way Cousins is getting traded this season... I would say it is more likley that Cousins will not get traded until after the 2014 season...

Cousins is signed through the 2015 season... No real reason for us to trade him away earlier than that unless someone is calling with a "too good to refuse" offer...

That's the truth, is there any new Vinnys out there to fleece? 

We all saw what a back-up QB in Chicago did; but then again it was against Haslett's 'defense'.

This is the spark that Cousins brings; uncertainty in opposing defenses, not knowing what they're up against. 

Why in blue hell would you want to trade away possibly the best back-up in the league? No.

We all see RGIII looks alot better, thank god, but he still has some issues he really needs to work on; Grossman is not the answer at back-up, Cousins is.

Be careful what you wish for, near sightedness is a devil wearing sunglasses selling you snowcones...

Kirk Cousins is Gary Kubiak. 

Kubiak was John Elway's back up in Denver. He was a genius, knew the playbook like the back of his hand. He performed well when he needed to step in. 

And hopefully finds his way back to the Shanahan tree (in Washington) when Houston goes 6-10 this year. 

Edit

After looking at stats, maybe Kubiak didn't perform that well. But either way, a smart backup to a mobile QB is a must in the NFL 

Archived