Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

CAyOgEEU8AEjTNq.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/ted-cruz-com-fail-website-obama-immigration-142609421.html

But those looking to TedCruz.com for more information on the Texas Republican and his platform were out of luck. The domain — which was reserved by an Arizona lawyer before Cruz's political ascension — currently encourages visitors to support President Barack Obama and immigration reform.

543bb5f0-d16c-11e4-bc04-f9b30c6f2d2f_sup

(TedCruz.com)

Meanwhile, TedCruzForAmerica.com, which was registered Monday, redirects toHealthCare.gov, the website launched for President Obama's Affordable Care Act initiative.

I think Dems do a much better job scoffing at their more liberal base, when running for national elections, than Republicans do (to their version).  It seems that even when a perceived "moderate" Republican is running, he is tripping himself over the other candidates to appear as right-wing as possible.

The changing demographics of the country has made the extreme right-wing voter base a lot more important to the Republican candidates then the extreme left-wing base is to the Democratic candidate.

Bull****  :lol:

Funny, I seem to recall reading that "Maverick" John McCain voted the Republican Party line, I believe it was 92% of the time. 

(That was, before he ran for President.  Since then, I think it's been more like 100%.) 

Funny, I seem to recall reading that "Maverick" John McCain voted the Republican Party line, I believe it was 92% of the time. 

(That was, before he ran for President.  Since then, I think it's been more like 100%.) 

I took "mainstream GOP " to mean the mainstream of the GOP....You?

Cause the mainstreamers have fared so well lately? ;)

should be fun

And you shouldn't draft a cb from Alabama, based on how others have fared, right?

The fact that McCain struggled and Romney struggled (less) can be attributed to a number of things. Does the fact that they were moderates solely account for their losses? No way.

Or, to adopt your argument, how have pat buchanon and mike huckabee fared?

A classic case of correlation =/= causation

A moderate pub can win of course. It just takes the right pub, in the right moment. McCain probably would have won in 2000. No pub could have won in 2008.

It will be very tough for Cruz. too many in the rnc, and too many pub congressmen, hate him. Hard to build a coalition or attract the big money guys when that's your starting point.

Cruz is a phenomenal speaker. Today was no different. He killed it. It felt like one of those mega church sermons - and I think that is exactly what he was going for. The right is going to eat it up.

Opponents of Cruz constantly underestimate him. He is not stupid. He is actually extremely smart. He is a political sociopath and narcissist - but not stupid.

It will be interesting.

Hey, if twa and the GOP really want to push the notion that the GOP can't win the White House because the folks they've run haven't been far right enough, who am I to correct them? 

Unfortunately, the billionaires who actually are in charge of the GOP?  They know that folks like Cruz and Santorum not only can't win nationally, they would poison the entire brand, if they got nominated.  And they're smart enough to throw huge buckets of cash at Republicans who actually stand a chance.  The ones who can at least pretend to be moderate. 

Cruz is a phenomenal speaker. Today was no different. He killed it. It felt like one of those mega church sermons - and I think that is exactly what he was going for. The right is going to eat it up.

Maybe he would be a good nominee for Vice? Sure would keep the loons fired up. (Although, do they really need inspiring, beyond the words "President Hillary"?)

Or would he poison the ticket the way Palin did? The "I could stand (whoever's at the top of the ticket). But no way I'm going to make that loon one heartbeat away" factor?

----------

FWIW, I don;t think Cruz (or most of the GOP) are stupid.  (Their base is, beyond question.  but not the folks they elect.) 

I think they're evil

I've always thought the notion of trying to scare people with tales of the end of civilization if so-and-so gets elected was a stupid tactic.  But, last 10-15 years?  Yes, I literally fear for the future of the country if the people who are in charge of the GOP, manage to get full control of the country. 

I can't think if a single position they stand for, that isn't designed to make the country worse. 

And you shouldn't draft a cb from Alabama, based on how others have fared, right?

The fact that McCain struggled and Romney struggled (less) can be attributed to a number of things. Does the fact that they were moderates solely account for their losses? No way.

Or, to adopt your argument, how have pat buchanon and mike huckabee fared?

A classic case of correlation =/= causation

A moderate pub can win of course. It just takes the right pub, in the right moment. McCain probably would have won in 2000. No pub could have won in 2008.

It will be very tough for Cruz. too many in the rnc, and too many pub congressmen, hate him. Hard to build a coalition or attract the big money guys when that's your starting point.

He is no Buchanon or Huckabee, but as I said before I think he is a longshot and in it more to influence.

But then Dewhurst .....:huh::lol:

If we get someone like Cankles and some nutjob like Cruz running against each other, I doubt I'll vote for a president for the first time since I was of age.

I'd say the odds are really high that it's Bush-Clinton.

(Yippee).

(Yippee).

I won't have a third Bush like I don't want a second Clinton. If that's my choice then I'm out. I won't vote 3rd party.

I'll probably bot state issues and be done.

Obama was supposed to be the one who freshened up this whole situation...

(Yippee).

I am not so sure about Bush. It really depends on how Rubio does.  Bush does have the money, that he can survive a wipeout in the 4 February races.  Thing is, if Walker or Rubio were catch on and go into the Super Tuesday with the big mo; Bush is in trouble. There would be legitimate alternatives to Bush that voters in those Super Tuesday states in March; would probably go with one of those candidates instead of Bush.  I think the Rubio- Bush battle for Florida will be interesting. If Rubio could win here; then Bush is done and it won't matter how much money he has.  Right now, it could be a Walker-Rubio or Rubio-Walker ticket.  Of course, it's early but I don't think Bush is a lock for the Republican nomination and most likely is an underdog.

Yes, I literally fear for the future of the country if the people who are in charge of the GOP, manage to get full control of the country. 

So you are going to support Cruz?......those in charge of the GOP certainly don't control him......or like him :P

He is no Buchanon or Huckabee, but as I said before I think he is a longshot and in it more to influence.

But then Dewhurst .....:huh::lol:

Maybe Jeb is no Romney.

Romney was hardly the first qualified candidate we've seen brought low, at least in part, by tone-deafness and a complete inability to present themselves well on a public stage.  Gore and Dole leap to mind as recent examples.

Maybe Jeb is no Romney.

He isn't, I've already said he will go as far as he wishes.....lotta tools in his bag(including the ability to connect to folk, all folk ;) )

Walker might trip him up but I doubt it

Cruz's presence in the race should provide many examples of what we already know about people's biases/hypocrisy in defending "their guy" and attacking the other party.  Lots of old quotes are floating around the internet about the fitness of one-term senators, kids of modest circumstances turned ivy league elitists, law professors, the Harvard Law Review editor position, what it means to be a "natural born citizen" etc. etc. etc.

So I take it that my hopes of Chris Christie are just that?

No.  You have NO HOPE if Christie is your guy.  He has went from a possible first tier candidate to a third tier candidate.  New Jersey, isn't in the best shape. Also, he's nothing more than a bully.  His appeal is limited to the Northeast and maybe Chicago but the rest of the country won't like him.  Also, his only chance is if Bush completely implodes and the establishment need someone to counter a surging Walker or Rubio or dare we say Ted Cruz or Rand Paul.

:D

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/disturbed-man-tries-to-get-into-white-house

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – A disturbed Canadian man wants to try to get into the White House, according to reports.

The man, who was born in Calgary before drifting to Texas, has been spotted in Washington, D.C. in recent years exhibiting erratic behavior, sources said.

In 2013, he gained entry to the United States Senate and was heard quoting incoherently from a children’s book before he was finally subdued.

More recently, he was heard ranting about a plan to dismantle large components of the federal government, such as the Internal Revenue Service and the nation’s health-care program.

Despite a record of such bizarre episodes and unhinged utterances, observers expressed little concern about his plans to get into the White House, calling them “delusional.”

I think Dems do a much better job scoffing at their more liberal base, when running for national elections, than Republicans do (to their version).  It seems that even when a perceived "moderate" Republican is running, he is tripping himself over the other candidates to appear as right-wing as possible.

The changing demographics of the country has made the extreme right-wing voter base a lot more important to the Republican candidates then the extreme left-wing base is to the Democratic candidate.

Democrats typically have to sell themselves to demographic groups. Our blocs are broader - blacks, Hispanics, women, the super-educated, 20somethings, the annoying hippies.

The story that no Republican likes to talk about is how early in the 2008 campaign, black voters actually favored Hillary. Obama had to win that demographic.

There is tension within the Democratic base of course - mainly from the annoying left-wing hippies. But for the most part, it's a question of how best would your administration serve my particular bloc's needs. It's not really a competition between blocs most of the time - 2008 did become that to some degree.

Republicans are one bloc demographically for the most part. So, it becomes a battle of philosophy. You aren't trying to come up with an economic program that makes blacks, women, and graduate students happy. You are trying to come up with a plan that makes Tea Partiers, libertarians, and Jesus Freaks on Social Security happy.

There is always VP, fits that role better imo

Here is a question: Aside from Palin (which was for all the wrong reasons), when was the last time a VP candidate mattered? Quayle for the wrong reasons too, but maybe George HW Bush in 80? That was the last time I think someone chose a candidate to really appease some specific group within a party.

I think you could argue that Paul Ryan was chosen to appeal to a younger demographic and to appease those under the GOP tent who wanted to see more fiscal responsibility.  Not sure if they were right, but I think that was what Romney was attempting to do.

No.  You have NO HOPE if Christie is your guy.  He has went from a possible first tier candidate to a third tier candidate.  New Jersey, isn't in the best shape. Also, he's nothing more than a bully.  His appeal is limited to the Northeast and maybe Chicago but the rest of the country won't like him.  Also, his only chance is if Bush completely implodes and the establishment need someone to counter a surging Walker or Rubio or dare we say Ted Cruz or Rand Paul.

There is always VP, fits that role better imo

Now, that might be an interesting idea to kick around.  Would Christie make a good Veep candidate? 

If it's true that his support is in the northeast and Chicago, (and it might well be true), then he might at least put a dent in some Democrat strongholds.  (Especially if said strongholds are stuck in "Hillary?  Is that the best we've got?" mode.) 

I think that he's . . . colorful . . . . enough that he could be a useful distraction for the media.  (And I've been of the opinion that, now days, Presidential candidates really don't want a lot of attention.  They want to spout intentionally vague slogans, with feelings of puppy dogs and rainbows.  A Veep who the media is following around relentlessly might actually be useful.) 

OTOH, I'm not sure that he'd send moderate voters fleeing the ticket, the way Cruz or somebody similar might.  (Moderate voters might hate him.  But it would be for other reasons than his history of catering to the right-wing fringe.) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GchVSrgdIc

Although, I really suspect that the perfect GOP Veep is Rubio. 

Archived