Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tablet Wars - Which One To Buy?

Dont Taze Me Bro

Ok, so I will be purchasing a tablet soon and want to pick the brains of my fellow Redskins fans.  I don't have a real preference in platform.  Well, I have an idea of what I want, but am open for suggestions.  

My background:  I'm a PC guy for gaming, but I recognize the power of the Apple IOS.   For smart phones, I started out with a Droid II, loved it, but switched to an Iphone once they became available with Verizon.  I purchased a Samsung TV and got a free Galaxy tablet with the purchase.  

I like both platforms (Android and Apple).  I was always wanting an Ipad, but after seeing the commercials for the Windows 8 and RT, and doing a little research on them, they look pretty bad ass.  

So, any insight on those tablets and other opinions on android/apple based tablets would be greatly appreciated.   Also, if you are a fanboi of any particular brand, post that.  It's not that I don't want your opinion, but I want to know if you might be biased, which is fine, just please explain why in the response.

I would like to be able to game a little on the tablet, but am not looking to spend more than an Ipad cost.  Im actually fine with purchasing an Ipad, but like I said, the Windows based ones look pretty cool and I know would support games better.  But gaming is not my ultimate requirement to base the purchase on, just a bonus.

I think unless you are already all-in with the Apple ecosystem, it's probably better to get an Android or Windows tablet. Then it just becomes preference. The Nexus 7 is a really nice tablet, but if you want it to be almost like your computer, then the Surface is probably the better choice.

The Surface has the same problem as all windows computers, it's a huge virus.

The commercials for the surface are dishonest too.  Once you get the tablet, the keyboard, and microsoft office, you are basically just buying a laptop.

Personally I think all tablets are a waste of money.  I don't have any statistics, but based on observation in life, the percentage of people who actually use there tablet with any frequency is pretty low.

I use mine when I take trips and need a movie while on the plane.

Take a look at a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 if you want cutting edge. 

Personally my family bought a Nook Tablet for ~ $130 and I rooted it with Cyanogenmod and I'm satisfied with it.  Going through the rooting process wasn't easy; then again I'm not a power user.  I use it for web-browsing and light "games" for the kids when we are out.  I don't know what the user space is for the more expensive tablets...I still use my desktop/laptop. 

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If it's strictly content consumption, I'd get an iPad. If you actually want to do something with it, I'd get a Surface of some variety. My RT is fine for editing a Word doc or Excel xls. It handles cheesy iPad style games like a champ too. 

However, if you want to run real games, even if only old ones, I'd switch over to a Surface Pro. I was able to get 108 fps out of a Surface pro running L4D2. When I cranked the settings to what I'd actually use (1080p etc) It still posted 32fps.  It handles Torchlight 2 as well. The Surface pro is pretty expensive, but it is a laptop, and worth it if you actually want a computer rather than a big phone/toy.

Now, big caveat, the next generation of Surface is right around the corner. Look for it in Mid-late October.  The big upside of waiting is more RAM, bigger GPU for games, and much better battery life (not that it's bad now but I'll take the 10 hours+ TYVM).

What do you want to do with a tablet?

Windows tablet sucks. I have one from work. Hate it.  Apps are limited, its NOT intuitive, not easy to use, and is a pain. Stay away.

Obviously I know lots of people that love the iPad and it does pretty much everything you could want it to do. I'm not a apple guy so I wasnt comfortable with it when I tried it.  But it is what it is.

Nexus 7 has nothing but positive reviews. From Android and Apple people. From work and play -I hear all good things but havent use it my self.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2. I like it. Use it a lot -but there is nothing I do on it that I couldnt do from my phone or something else. I use it as a convenience.

I won a Kindle Fire HD, and actually use it the most..but as a entertainment tablet ONLY.  Web surfing, facebook, email sucks on it. But Movies, books, music, using it to control my FiOS, games for the kids, etc....I love it.  I would rather send a email on my phone then it..but again, for what I use it for - its the most used.   

my 11 year old saved up and bought a nexus 7, and loves it.

but she is rotten at sharing... and so, of course, my 10 year old is now "on the market".

is there any problem with the barnes and noble tablets??   they are cheaper than dirt... do they suck?

Bought my mother a Nook for her birthday. If you are looking for something to cruise the net, read books, and play some games it's great.

Want to tag along on this thread. 

Right now, I have a need for some network troubleshooting.  What I'd like would be something like my laptop, running Wireshark  (Yes, I'd really like to be able to see network packets, so I can troubleshoot why system X can't talk to system Y.) 

Unfortunately, my old laptop got hit with a really big power surge that hit the house, a week or so ago.  (I literally heard electronic devices getting hit, an instant before the thunder.) 

And I'm a bit leary about going out and buying a new laptop (which I almost never use), because they'll come with a new MS OS, which I'd rather not deal with. 

I'm seeing some nice apps for my iPad for doing things like device identification and ping, which is a good step.  But I'd really like to be able to see packets. 

Anybody know of a tablet that will take an app for something like that? 

Want to tag along on this thread. 

Right now, I have a need for some network troubleshooting.  What I'd like would be something like my laptop, running Wireshark  (Yes, I'd really like to be able to see network packets, so I can troubleshoot why system X can't talk to system Y.) 

Unfortunately, my old laptop got hit with a really big power surge that hit the house, a week or so ago.  (I literally heard electronic devices getting hit, an instant before the thunder.) 

And I'm a bit leary about going out and buying a new laptop (which I almost never use), because they'll come with a new MS OS, which I'd rather not deal with. 

I'm seeing some nice apps for my iPad for doing things like device identification and ping, which is a good step.  But I'd really like to be able to see packets. 

Anybody know of a tablet that will take an app for something like that? 

I think you're stuck with MS OS if you're trying to run a full flegded x86 app. Bay Trail (the next Atom) has been released and so we should start seeing fairly cheap $200-$300 models in the near future. They'll be labeled as Pentiums or Celerons and only chew like 2.5W. It still won't perform like a Surface Pro, but it's still a good idea.

If you can find the app you want for Linux you could always get one of these tablets and run a 32-bit version of that. There's probably one for Android out too.  Whatever the OS, it'll still run on the next gen tablets.

• 1 month later...

I got a galaxy 3.0 and im happy with it. I need a waterproof keyboard and an otter box. I like how it fits in my pocket and goes anywhere, but I dont have a phone anymore or I would have just got one of them.

so this freaking this went into safe mode and wont come out. Any suggestions?

Should be under warranty still. Did you get the two things you stated you needed ?

I might still be under the kmart extended warranty, gotta find my receipt. Hope it didnt get ruined by the rain. I haven't found the keyboard or correct otter box yet, so no. Slim pickins on island and I don't make it to town much.

I might still be under the kmart extended warranty, gotta find my receipt. Hope it didnt get ruined by the rain. I haven't found the keyboard or correct otter box yet, so no. Slim pickins on island and I don't make it to town much.

Did you do a battery pull?

Archived