Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tablet Wars - Which One To Buy?

Dont Taze Me Bro

Not to come off as a fany boy, but Apple doesn't force the same on you? iTunes, iCloud, etc.

It does, but to a much lesser extent.

Apple doesn't monitor your emails or your search at this point in time.  Eventually you might not be able to avoid it.  Google is a big data analytic engine targeting you to financially gain from your internet activity...and people are worrying about our government.  LOL.  Google knows more about you then they do.  They are positioning themselves to control and monitor everything you do on the web.  Phone, email, anything.

The wife has a Ipad. I got it for 349 last xmas. I liked it and ordered me android 10 tablet from china for 180. I have more memory but she has better range for wifi. The ipad is Superior but not worth 150

It depends what you want it for

The Surface has the same problem as all windows computers, it's a huge virus.

The commercials for the surface are dishonest too.  Once you get the tablet, the keyboard, and microsoft office, you are basically just buying a laptop.

Personally I think all tablets are a waste of money.  I don't have any statistics, but based on observation in life, the percentage of people who actually use there tablet with any frequency is pretty low.

I use mine when I take trips and need a movie while on the plane.

I agree with Chipwich, I do have q cheap tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which is perfect for travel & sitting on the back porch while goofing around on-line & checking e-mails. We spent less than $200.00 for it...if you have to spend more than that, might as well get a laptop. ?..

Fiance wants the new iPad air for Christmas ... she will be in medical/health field and wants to use it to store all her notes from school and be able to use it as part of her patient assessment in a year when she's done. Anyone have thoughts on it? Would probably go with the 32G wifi only. She doesn't often ask for nice, flashy things and is very school/career-focused ... so if she wants this, she deserves it. I just want to make sure it's the right one.

Fiance wants the new iPad air for Christmas ... she will be in medical/health field and wants to use it to store all her notes from school and be able to use it as part of her patient assessment in a year when she's done. Anyone have thoughts on it? Would probably go with the 32G wifi only. She doesn't often ask for nice, flashy things and is very school/career-focused ... so if she wants this, she deserves it. I just want to make sure it's the right one.

check this out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/tablets-ebook-readers/

FWIW, I love the google nexus 10 I have.  It integrates so well with gmail, drive, hangouts, etc.  

It's personal preference, just like a cell phone.

Let her pick out what she wants, they all will work just fine.

You are a fool if you don't think everything you do on the web is tracked. 

I know what can be tracked and not tracked.

You can't get meaningful information without controlling the data/information.

Google is doing everything possible to control all of your data.

My wife is in the medical/health field and she must absolutely keep her patient's stuff under lock and key at all times. Patient privacy laws and what not. Be sure that that data cannot be accessed by anyone who happens to pick up her iPad or if it's ever stolen. I know my work can remotely erase our work iPhones—maybe have something like that too? Also, be cognizant of how she will store data in the cloud.

My wife is in the medical/health field and she must absolutely keep her patient's stuff under lock and key at all times. Patient privacy laws and what not. Be sure that that data cannot be accessed by anyone who happens to pick up her iPad or if it's ever stolen. I know my work can remotely erase our work iPhones—maybe have something like that too? Also, be cognizant of how she will store data in the cloud.

Very good points Elessar! I think she's more or less looking to use it to access her old notes from school and other journals/etc. when reviewing a patients history or information. I don't think she would want to put patient specific info. on there, but if she does, then I will surely make sure she knows this !

• 7 months later...

I am considering purchasing chromebooks for my office.  The big catch is that we will be switching to a cloud based system and need to use some version of microsoft remote desktop connection to connect to our host.

If I used a chromebook, can i get microsoft remote desktop connection on it?

I know there is chrome remote desktop, but its my understanding that won't work.

I have a galaxy 2014 edition tablet. I love it I pretty much use it everyday for random surfing and games. I watch  movies when I travel so for me its been worth it. Never had any issues and I have all my stuff on google so getting a new device updated with all my contacts, etc is easy, almost seamless even. I know at one point samsung was going to have a dual boot system android/MS but I haven't heard anything about it recently. That would be the perfect tablet for me. I NEVER use my laptop and I ave stopped taking it on my trips.

What the virus/malware and general security situation with the different tablets.  Even though the apple stuff is vulnerable how does it compare to the tablets running Windows or Android?  My father is in the market for a new tablet and I don't want to be his personal help desk every time something goes wrong.  I'd love to tell him to just stay off of certain sites, you know what I mean, but these days you can get all sorts of annoying malware from the ads on any page, even big well known sites like youtube and yahoo.  

What the virus/malware and general security situation with the different tablets.  Even though the apple stuff is vulnerable how does it compare to the tablets running Windows or Android?  My father is in the market for a new tablet and I don't want to be his personal help desk every time something goes wrong.  I'd love to tell him to just stay off of certain sites, you know what I mean, but these days you can get all sorts of annoying malware from the ads on any page, even big well known sites like youtube and yahoo.  

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2099421/report-malwareinfected-android-apps-spike-in-the-google-play-store.html

My employee works with mobility devices, strictly speaking from an Apps perspective.  The problem Android has is twofold.  First, it's a lot easier for a random developer to to get an App into Google Play.  In addition, the way the Android device handles an App install makes your phone/tablet much more vulnerable than on an Apple.  The short of it is the Apps on install have much greater ability to access other portions of the phone/tablet on an Android device than on an Apple.  Apple has a much more rigorous process to get Apps approved for itunes.  Windows tablets are just Windows OS and have the same vulnerabilities as any Windows box.

Anyone know the answer to the question that caused me to bump this thread?

The answer would be no...or maybe.  I wouldn't recommend a Chromebook for your office.  You can't install MS remote desktop on it.  VMWare just came out with a VM player for Chromebook to allow you to play windows VM's remotely.  Is MS remote desktop your only option to connect or can you use the new VMWare offering?

Got my wife a Nexus 7. She loves it. Uses it a lot daily to watch shows. At the end of the day, it functions as much as an iPad (mini) and was a third of the cost. 

I'm big on the Mac ecosystem. I use a mac at work and own an iPhone but still went with the Nexus 7. But my wife is on Android.

We basically touch all the ecosystems: iOS, Android, Amazon, and Google Play. It hasn't become burdensome to have certain movies/music on one ecosystem or another. 

The answer would be no...or maybe.  I wouldn't recommend a Chromebook for your office.  You can't install MS remote desktop on it.  VMWare just came out with a VM player for Chromebook to allow you to play windows VM's remotely.  Is MS remote desktop your only option to connect or can you use the new VMWare offering?

Not sure.  We are "going to the cloud" and I was told, "You just use remote desktop connection."  It was sold to me as, I'd use dummy wyse terminals instead of re-upping on "full" work stations.  But, chromebooks seem to be the most inexpensive way to connect to the cloud.

I'm also told that it's hosted by microsoft 365.  there's no way to run 365 with a chromebook?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2099421/report-malwareinfected-android-apps-spike-in-the-google-play-store.html

My employee works with mobility devices, strictly speaking from an Apps perspective.  The problem Android has is twofold.  First, it's a lot easier for a random developer to to get an App into Google Play.  In addition, the way the Android device handles an App install makes your phone/tablet much more vulnerable than on an Apple.  The short of it is the Apps on install have much greater ability to access other portions of the phone/tablet on an Android device than on an Apple.  Apple has a much more rigorous process to get Apps approved for itunes.  Windows tablets are just Windows OS and have the same vulnerabilities as any Windows box.

Im sorry but the notion that Android apps are super dangerous is wrong. Unless you are sideloading apps, which means putting them on manually rather than through the play store, you are not going to get hacked or get a virus. Obviously there is a super slight chance, but just look at the permission when installing apps and read the reviews.

Archived