Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tablet Wars - Which One To Buy?

Dont Taze Me Bro

Did you do a battery pull?

I pulled the back off and the battery doesn't look like something that should come off. Computer type things seem like magic to me. I can build a car from scratch, about to split a tractor in two for a clutch and I do some magic in a kitchen, but computers? Including tablets and phones, might as well run on ground unicorn balls.

I think it's funny no one has come in and said get an iPad. I personally think the iPad is overpriced and overrated. Unless you have nothing but Apple products, you can do much better than an iPad.

We have 4 iPads in our home and love them. We are bought into the Apple infrastructure though with Apple TV, a couple of MACs and two iPhone 5s. For ease of use, quality construction and materials, the access to the unbelievable range of apps available its a no brainer for me.

Thats not to say it should be a no brainer for anyone of course. 

On usage all the devices get used - the iPads more than anything though. iPhone use has dropped the most as a result of use of the iPad and we probably use facetime more than we make calls anyway now - certainly within the family.

I also have a Nexus 7 and it's fantastic.

For me, I love it because it's more portable than a laptop and I use it when making presentations to a website client. 

Most of the folks I pitch give me the squint-eyed look of "I've heard THAT before" when I say how easy it will be to update their website... and then i can show them quickly and easily on a device that fits in my hand.

I use a desktop about 99% of the time, so i haven't really explored most of what else it can do.. but when I need to go do a pitch, it's proven to be a terrific tool.

~Bang

I'm new to the android app market and google play... as far as I can tell it's the same offerings and same prices.

thats what I figured and you can get all the aps with a ****ty go phone these days and pay 40 bucks a month with no contract, so why both spending 4x the cash on an apple product?

I have a gen 3 iPad 32g with wifi but not 4g.

I also own an iPhone 4

With my iPad I have all but replaced my laptop. The only thing I do with my laptop is back-up my iPhone and iPad photos to an external hard-drive and to print documents.

I purchased a solar powered external keyboard for when I need to write things longer than a couple paragraphs.

I literally use my iPad for everything, and while an iPhone is techically a small iPad anyone who tries to replace their laptop with an iPhone will go blind!

I love the seemless way the two devices work together, and by adding dropbox to both, I can work between all three devices with zero problems.

I love mu iPad so much that I got my wife one, now the kids use the laptop to play online kids games. LoL!

So what would I suggest? The iPad of course.

thats what I figured and you can get all the aps with a ****ty go phone these days and pay 40 bucks a month with no contract, so why bother spending 4x the cash on an apple product?

For starters anyone who pays full price for an iPhone is crazy, I got my 4g for $1 through my AT&T upgrade, so why would I want a crappy go phone? Plus they don't work seamlessly with my iPad.

thats what I figured and you can get all the aps with a ****ty go phone these days and pay 40 bucks a month with no contract, so why both spending 4x the cash on an apple product?

What do you care?

I have my reasons for liking Apple products.  You have yours for not liking them.  Be happy with your decision and carry on.

What do you care?

I have my reasons for liking Apple products.  You have yours for not liking them.  Be happy with your decision and carry on.

first off, sorry if I offeneded your product choice, I didn't realize it was so personal.

Secondly, these products are extremely wasteful in a lot of ways and the constant and seemingly pointless race for the newest and best versions has an extremely long lasting and far reaching impact on every one of us, not to mention that the minerals are mostly mined for by slaves. So yeah, I think its much more important to get something that will last a lifetime and not need to be replaced every year because it gets a few new aps is pretty important, since you asked.

first off, sorry if I offeneded your product choice, I didn't realize it was so personal.

Oh get off it, you toss out you opinion in such a way that everyone who doesn't buy a crap go phone looks like an idiot, even though there are perfectly legitimate reasons for not buying a piece of crap pay as you go. Many of which I've already listed.

Secondly, these products are extremely wasteful in a lot of ways and the constant and seemingly pointless race for the newest and best versions has an extremely long lasting and far reaching impact on every one of us,

Well this line might work on those who "need" the newest versions, but the combined total I paid for my iPhone 3gs and my iPhobe 4g is $2, both of which were upgrades after the next version had come out an AT&T was off loading their old stock. So early adopter I'm not. Are there some who have to have the newest? Sure, but then there's an auto industry that exploits those same tendencies and is infinitely more wasteful that the cell phone industry.

not to mention that the minerals are mostly mined for by slaves. So yeah, I think its much more important to get something that will last a lifetime and not need to be replaced every year because it gets a few new aps is pretty important, since you asked.

Well, just so we're clear, but the crappy go phone you suggested earlier is every bit and more likely to contain those same materials and use exploited labor. I say more likely because they need cheaper materials to keep the cost down on their cheap phones so they are more likely to buy conflict minerals.

So, what cell phone or tablet have you bought that will in your words "last a lifetime"?

I didn't even see that you had posted a question. Not sure about Galaxy but with iPhones/iPads you can do a system reboot. Is there any button combination that'll start a system restore?

ive already tried that, but it didn't work. Im waiting to see if I can get it repaired at kmart. Id rather fix it than replace it. If I open it up and break something, im definitely screwed. I also don't want a next one.

Secondly, these products are extremely wasteful in a lot of ways and the constant and seemingly pointless race for the newest and best versions has an extremely long lasting and far reaching impact on every one of us, not to mention that the minerals are mostly mined for by slaves. So yeah, I think its much more important to get something that will last a lifetime and not need to be replaced every year because it gets a few new aps is pretty important, since you asked.

He go phones get replaced like any other phone.  Technology is quickly evolving.

I would argue my iphone and my mac are much higher quality hardware that they will last longer than all the plastic appliances constantly rolled out.  My hardware I keep for a long time.

The main reason I switched to Apple was I was tired of viruses and virus scanners and popup crap.  So I moved to Apple.

Android OS is a huge target, which is why it doesn't interest me.  I do a lot of financial things on my phones/computers.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/security-awareness/articles/mobile-malware-growth-continuing-2013.aspx

Oh and if you think NSA is invading your privacy, Google is worse.  I refuse to use anything Google.

Now enjoy your choice of your gophone.  I don't begrudge you for it.

He go phones get replaced like any other phone. Technology is quickly evolving.

I would argue my iphone and my mac are much higher quality hardware that they will last longer than all the plastic appliances constantly rolled out. My hardware I keep for a long time.

The main reason I switched to Apple was I was tired of viruses and virus scanners and popup crap. So I moved to Apple.

Android OS is a huge target, which is why it doesn't interest me. I do a lot of financial things on my phones/computers.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/security-awareness/articles/mobile-malware-growth-continuing-2013.aspx

Oh and if you think NSA is invading your privacy, Google is worse. I refuse to use anything Google.

Now enjoy your choice of your gophone. I don't begrudge you for it.

thank you for the solid response.

ive already tried that, but it didn't work. Im waiting to see if I can get it repaired at kmart. Id rather fix it than replace it. If I open it up and break something, im definitely screwed. I also don't want a next one.

Depending on the age and when you bought it....good luck with Kmart customer service. I wouldn't count on much help there. As far as the insides of smart phones, you're not going to find much to work with, they are based off of flash memory meaning that they are basically big thumb drives.

Depending on the age and when you bought it....good luck with Kmart customer service. I wouldn't count on much help there. As far as the insides of smart phones, you're not going to find much to work with, they are based off of flash memory meaning that they are basically big thumb drives.

its a samsung tablet, which means little to me as far as tech stuff goes. Im pretty ignorant with these things.

kmart here is about all we have. There is a radio sgack and an office max too, but the service is worse there. Not exactly third world, but it ain't NYC either ya know. ols

He go phones get replaced like any other phone.  Technology is quickly evolving.

I would argue my iphone and my mac are much higher quality hardware that they will last longer than all the plastic appliances constantly rolled out.  My hardware I keep for a long time.

The main reason I switched to Apple was I was tired of viruses and virus scanners and popup crap.  So I moved to Apple.

Android OS is a huge target, which is why it doesn't interest me.  I do a lot of financial things on my phones/computers.

Oh and if you think NSA is invading your privacy, Google is worse.  I refuse to use anything Google.

Now enjoy your choice of your gophone.  I don't begrudge you for it.

Been using Android for awhile now and have had no problems with viruses. People get viruses by downloading shady stuff or clicking on shady links. Trying to say this nicely, but if you know how to use a computer/phone/tablet, you shouldn't be getting virsues.

And yeah, Google has a history of privacy problems, but Apple isn't exactly squeaky clean either. Here's an article about the privacy on the iPhone 5s: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57603947-37/sen-franken-questions-privacy-of-iphone-5s-fingerprint-scanner/. And here's one on Apple and viruses: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/apple-virus

It really all boils down to what your prefer. But it's important to lay out all the facts.

I have an IPAD 2 64 gb. I wouldnt trade it for anything. It has tons of great apps - Kindle, NFL Sunday Ticket, Direct TV, Netflix, tons of games (just like any other pad). There are so many features, that I dont even know them all yet. The only thing I dont have is Siri - which I have on my phone and never use... facetime is allot of fun

I have about 15 GB of music - every CD I owned (around 250) plus music I have purchased on Itunes for years - this made it much easier to go with a pad.

I have a few photo edior apps that work very nicely... the ICloud is great too as I have an iphone and am able to take a pic and stream it to my pad (or vice versa). The cloud is great.

And yeah, Google has a history of privacy problems, but Apple isn't exactly squeaky clean either. Here's an article about the privacy on the iPhone 5s: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57603947-37/sen-franken-questions-privacy-of-iphone-5s-fingerprint-scanner/. And here's one on Apple and viruses: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/apple-virus

Yeah they all aren't squeaky clean but I could start a whole thread on here with regards to Google and everything they are doing to control and monitor and gather analytics on everything you do on the internet.  Even doing a simple google search today, when you click on a resulting link it doesn't go directly to the site, but first goes back to google to record your selection then reroutes you to the site.

I won't use anything Google.  But that's my personal opinion.

Yeah they all aren't squeaky clean but I could start a whole thread on here with regards to Google and everything they are doing to control and monitor and gather analytics on everything you do on the internet.  Even doing a simple google search today, when you click on a resulting link it doesn't go directly to the site, but first goes back to google to record your selection then reroutes you to the site.

I won't use anything Google.  But that's my personal opinion.

I think in this day and age in the tech world, if you're expecting 100% privacy, you're SOL. Not saying that is right because I totally think there needs to be something done, but none of these companies are great at protecting our privacy.

I think in this day and age in the tech world, if you're expecting 100% privacy, you're SOL. Not saying that is right because I totally think there needs to be something done, but none of these companies are great at protecting our privacy.

Agree.  I won't buy into a platform like Google where there is 0% privacy.  Google wants to know what you search, what's in your email, what you buy online, who your friends with, what documents you create, and so on, and so on.  With Google Chromecast they even want to know what you watch.  The Chromebook forces you to use the google cloud.  It's like the movie/book The Firm.  Once your in the firm, you can never leave.

Agree.  I won't buy into a platform like Google where there is 0% privacy.  Google wants to know what you search, what's in your email, what you buy online, who your friends with, what documents you create, and so on, and so on.  With Google Chromecast they even want to know what you watch.  The Chromebook forces you to use the google cloud.  It's like the movie/book The Firm.  Once your in the firm, you can never leave.

Not to come off as a fany boy, but Apple doesn't force the same on you? iTunes, iCloud, etc.

Archived