Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

S. Phillip Thomas has a torn Lis franc, placed on IR

Farbod21

Major blow. I was really looking forward to Philip progressing and was more excited with him than Rambo back at draft time. As has been noted above, this is a double season blow as he's now in effect a fresh faced inexperienced rook in 2014.

Here's hoping there's a solid vet. out there come cutdown time for a years deal ala Burnett. Jackson I doubt ever plays ball again. Let alone here. And even if he was reinstated this coming season would pretty much be a writeoff with the lack of football. And Gomes making the team is not a pleasant prospect at all.

Rehab well Philip. The mess at safety (free and strong as in this scheme we don't really have one or the other and both interchange on the field) continues for another sorry year.

Major blow.

Hail.

I thought they already ruled out the possibility of a Lisfranc?

Damn. At least we have depth at SS I guess.

They did say it wasnt Lisfranc when it first happened.

What a freakin' bummer. Sure hope Meriweather gets/stays healthy.

Is he in football shape?  I sure hope so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/53862/stallworth-unlikely-to-play-vs-pittsburgh

From August 10, 2013

"

• Rookie safety Phillip Thomas will miss at least a few days with a sore left foot, which he injured in the preseason opener Thursday. But the good news for Thomas is that Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said tests have ruled out a fracture or a Lisfranc injury.“They don’t think that’s a problem,” Shanahan said.Thomas started against the Titans, but only because veterans Brandon Meriweather and Reed Doughty did not play. Still, Thomas, a fourth-round pick, figures into their plans."

WTF?  How did they ****ing miss that?

why not go look at some SS that are UFA right now.??  with Jackson out as long as he has been,he won't be in football shape...why not look at some people like Kerry Rhodes for example that is a UFA.(ex cardinal ss) other teams are currently looking at him..sign him to a vet minimim which would equate him to around 1M dollars in his hand,and around a 600k cap hit is all on a one year deal for the Skins...if he'd do it.. Rhodes is a good center field type SS,that's where we need the help..Merriweather and Doughty play more 'down in the box" if you get my meaning..nothing personal against Jackson,but he's not my idea of someone we start or have as backup if someone else gets hurt..plus Rambo is a rookie and will naturally make mistakes..Rhodes is a seasoned veteran..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/53862/stallworth-unlikely-to-play-vs-pittsburgh

From August 10, 2013

"

• Rookie safety Phillip Thomas will miss at least a few days with a sore left foot, which he injured in the preseason opener Thursday. But the good news for Thomas is that Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said tests have ruled out a fracture or a Lisfranc injury.“They don’t think that’s a problem,” Shanahan said.Thomas started against the Titans, but only because veterans Brandon Meriweather and Reed Doughty did not play. Still, Thomas, a fourth-round pick, figures into their plans."

WTF?  How did they ****ing miss that?

Maybe it was hidden because of the swelling?  Clearly, the first test missed it.

That sucks. When I saw the thread, I was so hoping that this was just some sort of April Fools joke or something. Hopefully he gets well soon!

Tenard Jackson may actually be able to pick up that spot now...

Jackson is a FS not a SS. This injury is a blow in the development of a young player and it will test our depth at SS and puts even more importance on getting and keeping Merriweather healthy but it has no impact on Jackson's chances of coming back - and that chance is very very slim IMO.

From August 10, 2013

"

• Rookie safety Phillip Thomas will miss at least a few days with a sore left foot, which he injured in the preseason opener Thursday. But the good news for Thomas is that Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said tests have ruled out a fracture or a Lisfranc injury.“They don’t think that’s a problem,” Shanahan said.Thomas started against the Titans, but only because veterans Brandon Meriweather and Reed Doughty did not play. Still, Thomas, a fourth-round pick, figures into their plans."

WTF? How did they ****ing miss that?

The onfield battery of tests might not be able to catch a lisfranc injury, and Thomas's description very well could have pointed to something else.

its bad luck but lets not go crazy here.  From what we have been reading Thomas was not going to start any time soon.  This does put him back for next year however.  The key as some have mentioned is Merriweather.  If he stays healthy we are fine at safety.   its a big if I know.

Archived