Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football Discussion:Biggest Concern on Offense

darrelgreenie

I have two carryovers from last season and one that I'd like to see more of.

1) Third down conversions.  I know we did great on first and second downs, but we need to let Robert throw the ball on 3rd down passed the chains.  I don't want to see Hankerson or Moss running crossing routes and trying to get them to fight for an extra 10 yards of YAC.  I'd like to see a little more creativity than that, even if it costs us an INT or two.  Let him grow.

2) Redzone and goalline playcalling.  It was pretty good last year, but if healthy I'd love to see the tightends included more.  You have FOUR for crying out loud.  And I'd obviously like to see less QB draws for #10 while down there in goal to go situations.  Maybe put Reed back there and let him jump pass or something.  Get creative Kyle, you have toys to play with now.

3) Get Darrel Young the ball.  He's a YAC machine with sure hands.  Find ways to get him the ball in space and enjoy the results.  He will definitely help with #2 on this list.

Amazingly, I think our TE depth could be elite. Our WR's are young and we have the veteran Moss. Our o-line is more or less good. But my biggest concern is o-line depth. Reports are that Pashos is pretty rusty, Compton has improved but is still inconsistent, Gettis is still getting stood up too much, LeRibeus is out of shape and struggling. We'll find out more in Preseason Game 2, but I view O-line depth as our biggest concern.

Third down conversions. This needs to improve FAST. We're inventive on every other down. Why so predictable on third regardless of the distance? Trust in 10's arm!

Talking of which, more balance in his sophomore year. I don't think I've EVER, in 30 years watching football, seen a scheme that gets receivers SO open as this one did last year. So utilise them and let 10 throw more as the playbook opens up even more. 

Which leads to being more creative in the red zone too. As DC alluded to, we have the TE weapons. USE THEM! Kyle's creative between the 20's. Time to FULLY expand the playbook to the WHOLE field and EVERY situation. Trust in 10's arm!

But the biggest overall concern to me on the O is the front 5. Yes, they had a storming year last year. But I personally believe they played above themselves and momentum carried them as it did the team. I still have big concerns from the centre on out the right side. I like the potential of last years rooks and Nixon. But whether their either ready to step up, or Coach Mike will let them is another thing again. If Trent goes down, EVERYTHING could unravel. And I appreciate that could be said of most stellar LT's in this league, but we aren't strong enough across the O-front to compensate for me. Still big question marks here. 

Hail. 

The problem doesn't appear to be the third downs themselves.  Yes, the symptom is the failure on third downs, but the evidence indicates that the problem is the fact we ended up with a third down to begin with.  Bad execution in any human endevor is a streaky thing that builds upon itself.  In the Redskins' case, most of the time getting to third down indicates our execution on first and second was suspect and therefore it is likely that execution will still be suspect on third down.  My big concern is pure pass blocking to allow us to consitently go for the kill shot after we take the ball over between the -40 and th +30.

My biggest concern is the pass drops.  For pete's sake, every receiver should catch 1000 balls a day before or after practice.  Being wide open and choking is pitiful at the NFL level.  I'm looking at you Aldrick and Dez.

"CATCH IT WICHA HANZZZZZ!"

That and OL staying healthy.

Hail

Without a question, its predictability.

This falls on the OC's lap.

Last year, RGIII and Morris were the surprises of the league, but now their secrets are out.

Luckily, the offense wasn't nearly as predictable as in past years, and I hope they don't become

that way again.

I will also add, attitude;  I have a funny feeling { could be gas } that a few players like Morgan

and Hankerson might hit the field with more yap than YAC, with a half-given effort.  I hope I'm

wrong, but until I see otherwise, history does tend to repeat itself if its not learned from...

One concern I have is indecision on the part of the Coaches as to which way to attack a defense and when to keep attacking or to change/adjust the attack. Seems like they get on a roll and then change gears or get defensive adjustments but don't counter with the proper adjustment. I think they have the weapons I just hope the use them correctly at the right time. Maybe even too many weapons for continuity. 

Which receivers will step up? We have Garcon as our #1, pretty firmly set, then there's a clog up at 2, 3, and 4, between Moss, Hankerson, and Morgan. Hank stepped his game up for the first week, will he continue on that trend or regress for game 2? I don't think it's necessarily a problem, but hopefully sooner rather than later we'll have the guy emerge from the crowd and step up as the #2.

My biggest concern is o-line, we were very lucky last year with injuries on this unit and it is highly unlikely to repeat itself.  So our depth will be called upon this year and im not sure they are ready to compete.  If we cant protect RG3 then things could go downhill in a hurry.

My biggest concern is o-line, we were very lucky last year with injuries on this unit and it is highly unlikely to repeat itself.  So our depth will be called upon this year and im not sure they are ready to compete.  If we cant protect RG3 then things could go downhill in a hurry.

I would have to agree.  There's no part of the offense that has me freaking out, like in years past, but when I look at what could potentially derail what I think will be a great offense, it starts up front.  Trent is a beast.  We NEED him to stay healthy.  After that, I think the zone blocking scheme, along with the talents of RG3 and Morris, allow for our otherwise mediocre linemen to play at a higher level than they probably could in other systems or settings.  But it's also not something I take for granted, especially considering what they'll be protecting...

To me, Trent Williams is the second most valuable player on this team to RG3.  The drop off between him and Compton is probably the biggest potential drop off we could suffer between a starter and second string player.  The rest of the line may have over-perfomed last year, may partially be a product of a system and setting that collectively makes them better, or they may really be continuing to improve nicely.  I suspect it's some combination of all three things.  But it is certainly my biggest question mark.

Kyle getting too fancy with the play calling to prove he is an offensive genius.

Quite a few games last year we had a lead and plays that were effective and working disappeared later in the game.

I understand defenses make adjustments but it seemed at times that Kyle was detrmined to use every play in the gameplan instead of sticking to what was working.

Quite a few games last year we had a lead and plays that were effective and working disappeared later in the game.

I understand defenses make adjustments but it seemed at times that Kyle was detrmined to use every play in the gameplan instead of sticking to what was working.

What a great point, wrecker.

He does NOT like to run the ball (at least until last year).  And I agree he seems to go away from what works.

I forget who said it (might have been Greg Cosell from NFL Films) at the end of the 2011 season, but someone was basically criticizing that Kyle never runs the ball on 4th and short or 3rd and short.  Cosell (if it was him) said that that's been the theme ACROSS the league the last couple of years.

What's the reasoning behind it?  That's how you get head coaching jobs if you are an OC seeking that next level of employment.  You generate interest by the creativity in your passing game calls on the "money" downs.

Being that I'm finding more and more at 29 years old, I am from the "old school" of thought that if it ain't broke and you are getting 4-5 yards a pop, you run that mother ****er up in there, I side with you on this, lol.

For me it has to be pass protection!  while we were good at run blocking I thought our weakness was protection

I do remember the 3rd down conversions being an issue, hopefully will improve.  

Also, been talk of a true #1.  Be interesting to see what happens next year with some $$$$ 

my 2 cents

Redzone offense is not a concern.  I believe we were 4th in the league in TD efficiency in the redzone last year.  That's more than promising.

The o-line staying healthy/o-line depth should be a concern.  Not a whole lot we can do about that.  Injuries will happen or they won't, but depth is an issue.

My concern is how defenses will begin to attack this Pistol Offense now that they've been looking at it for 12 months.  We need to be able to adapt to their changes.  Find what's working and stick with it.

Protection on obvious passing downs, especially 3rd and long.  As to Polumbus, aside from his declared commitment to becoming a better pass blocker, the reports I've read from camp from Keim, etc -- seem to indicate he's poised to have the same struggles.  He's tall, struggles to get low, and gets beat by pass rushers who are quick.   

Archived