Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

TBH I was barely even aware of the whole story line.  I haven't bothered to pay attention to any details and had no opinion on him.  That's how low his Q rating is for me I guess.

And TBH we're headed for a very boring period for the NBA as a whole because it's so clear the Warriors are going to run away with it for the next several years.  The league is going to lose popularity and the bubble might contract as the only uncertainty about the league in the next five years or so will be whether or not the owners force another lockout when the CBA expires.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-cba-will-extend-seven-years-161247944.html

The NBA and National Basketball Players Association are working on a seven-year extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, with a mutual opt-out in six years, league sources told The Vertical.

The seven-year deal could potentially deliver the NBA labor peace through the 2023-24 season, unless the opt-outs are exercised in 2022, league sources told The Vertical.

The new CBA will begin with the 2017-18 season.

The NBA and union share a Dec. 15 opt-out date on the current 10-year labor agreement, but the sides are nearing completion on a new agreement that’ll be finalized within weeks, league sources said.

The NBA and the union have agreed upon the major issues of the deal, and are finishing negotiations on smaller provisions, league sources said

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Whoa...that's huge! 

NBA has a prime opportunity right now.  NFL is repeatedly shooting itself in the foot on a number of levels, and I think Silver and the rest of the NBA brass realize that they can capitalize off of the NFL's declining popularity. 

A potential work-stoppage would obviously hinder that. 

That is good news.  I was afraid another lockout would be on the horizon because the owners were able to win the last one.  This time the league doesn't want to diminish their growth in any way.  Big new TV Deal kicking into effect. etc.  They've got a marquee franchise in Golden State to promote.  And I think they sense some blood in the water for the NFL.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there is some trouble on the horizon because of the uncompetitive phase the NBA has entered.  There are 28 franchises with no hope of winning a championship for the next 5 years or so.  The bubble might burst on the league before that period ends and we see a lot of the league's growth was predicated on a broad increase in popularity throughout the league that never actually materialized.

The NFL model of parity is the surest way to maintain the widespread popularity of a league.  Putting all your eggs in the basket of one or two teams like the NBA has traditionally done makes the league extremely dependent on those franchises to remain successful.  And it also makes the league very reliant on a small handful of power broker players to drive in all of their revenue.  And of course, it compromises the competitive balance and integrity of their game.

Eventually the NBA is just going to have to get around to instituting a hard salary cap and doing away with max contracts.  It's not going to happen in the CBA negotiations this time around, but I think it's inevitable

Yeah that's the first thing I thought of, too. I watch as little of the NFL as I ever have Others I know are doing the same. Its gotta be hitting be hitting them. the last couple years I have watched more NBA and more MLB. NBA's popularity seems to be growing, and although there will be no doubt who the contenders are this year, it could have the Jordan Effect, where despite the lack of strong list of contenders, the super team aspect compels you to watch more and more.

They have a golden opportunity here. Baseball does too, with the I flux of new young talent across the majors.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

I think the NFL's problems are self inflicted.  Gooddell is terrible and the owners are ridiculously greedy.  That's what their problems boil down to.  Capgate should have never happened.  The referee strike should have never happened.  Suspending players for smoking weed and taking adderall should never happen.  And most of all, the suppression of science about concussions should have NEVER happened.  That was some villainous Big Tobacco ****.

The NFL can fix a lot of their problems by getting far more serious about player safety and putting their focus on testing for steroids, not recreational drugs.  They should be spending top dollar on research and treatment for concussions and their related health effects.  They should ban all contact above the shoulders and at and below the knee except for a stiff arm to a lunging player's helmet when you're the ball carrier.  And they should feel obligated to take better care of their former players.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think the NFL's problems are self inflicted.  Gooddell is terrible and the owners are ridiculously greedy.  That's what their problems boil down to.  Capgate should have never happened.  The referee strike should have never happened.  Suspending players for smoking weed and taking adderall should never happen.  And most of all, the suppression of science about concussions should have NEVER happened.  That was some villainous Big Tobacco ****.

The NFL can fix a lot of their problems by getting far more serious about player safety and putting their focus on testing for steroids, not recreational drugs.  They should be spending top dollar on research and treatment for concussions and their related health effects.  They should ban all contact above the shoulders and at and below the knee except for a stiff arm to a lunging player's helmet when you're the ball carrier.  And they should feel obligated to take better care of their former players.

I know it's up to every employer whether or not they want to implement drug testing and what drugs to test for.  But why should they exclude recreational drugs if they are illegal?  

Talking strictly from an employer point of view.  Personally, if people want to smoke weed, pop pills, etc. I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't ruin/effect someone else's life.  They have to face the consequences of their actions if it comes down to that.  

So athletes should get a pass on drug testing for recreational drugs?  I personally don't think they should.  I fail one drug test at my job, I'm fired.  Period.  No second or third chances.  At least they get a chance when they do fail for recreational drugs to get help and turn it around while keeping their job.  Sure, there are players that probably smoke some weed here and there, every once in a while.  

But not testing for it, I would think would entice more players that had stopped or didn't do it often to do it more, because there are not any consequences of losing their job for it.  Not to mention, the leagues (all professional sports - not just the NFL) have integrity and standards.  If they just suddenly stop testing and punishing for recreational drugs, it will be viewed as sending the wrong message. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Just realized that this will be my first time watching without Duncan, Kobe, etc in the game since I was like 8 years old. I'm almost 30. First time without Wade since I was 15.

This is gonna be a weird (but intriguing nonetheless) season.

Imagine how us older heads felt watching all of those greats retire over the years. 

Curry and LeBron are the face of the NBA right now. That's pretty much it. Sure there are a lot of talented players in the league. 

Guys my age actually watched guys like Bird, Zeke, and Magic etc., since their respective college years. We saw the tail end of the careers of Kareem, Doc, Moses, etc.. 

The show must go on, and someone is going to step up to share the spotlight with those two guys. 

• Like 2

Yep. Kawhi, Paul George, Townes, Embiid(?)

I was young, but I do remember the vacuum left by the retirements, or declines of players like Jordan, Kemp, Barkley, Hakeem, Drexler, Penny, Ewing, Admiral, etc

You're right. Other guys stepped up afterwards then, and other guys will now. The league is as healthy as I can ever remember

• Like 2

Kemp. The original Shaq. Loved watching that guy in his prime. 

Ewing. Used to go to the Cap Centre to watch the Hoyas play (St. Johns and Syracuse back in the day were battles). Actually met him once. Went to a party that one of his DC girlfriends was invited to.

• Like 1

Yea Kemp was one of the more electrifying players I have ever seen. And then he wasn't. Kinda the same with Penny.

I watched that 30/30 ovr the summer about those Magic teams. Had no idea he and Shaq had so much friction between them. Then his knee injury sealed his fate

Shame, but at the same time, the Heat would not have taken off like they did  if it wasn't for that domino falling

• Like 1

On 10/19/2016 at 8:14 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

And TBH we're headed for a very boring period for the NBA as a whole because it's so clear the Warriors are going to run away with it for the next several years.  The league is going to lose popularity and the bubble might contract as the only uncertainty about the league in the next five years or so will be whether or not the owners force another lockout when the CBA expires.

The NBA didn't lose popularity when the Bulls were dominating for years.  I see no reason to think that this will be any different.   Especially after the Finals last year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Imagine how us older heads felt watching all of those greats retire over the years. 

Curry and LeBron are the face of the NBA right now. That's pretty much it. Sure there are a lot of talented players in the league. 

Guys my age actually watched guys like Bird, Zeke, and Magic etc., since their respective college years. We saw the tail end of the careers of Kareem, Doc, Moses, etc.. 

The show must go on, and someone is going to step up to share the spotlight with those two guys. 

Yep.  I go back to Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld on the Bullets.  

Top to bottom the players now are so much better overall, it makes it harder for the truly great ones to stand out.   Back then, superstars like Dr. J were being guarded by mediocrities like Mike Riordan - no wonder they looked like gods among children.     

Meanwhile, Dame Lillard is just another guy today - a very good player who doesn't make the All Star team.  If he played back then he would have been at least as celebrated as Zeke.  

• Like 4

Yeah I don't think the NBA has a talent shortage or anything. The league is littered with fun talented players that are enjoyable to watch on just about every team. 

Sure it's top heavy but last season was the most fun I've had in awhile watching the NBA. Having a villain or even just a clear-cut juggernaut is fun to me. 

The league floor keeps rising and access to better coaching and opportunity is still very much a work in progress internationally.  This past draft saw most lottery picks go to foreign born players and a little under half of all picks overall.  I wonder how much larger the talent pool this generation will produce is, compared to when Magic and Bird first picked up a basketball?  Especially now that Asia has discovered that ball is life.  

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah I don't think the NBA has a talent shortage or anything. The league is littered with fun talented players that are enjoyable to watch on just about every team. 

Sure it's top heavy but last season was the most fun I've had in awhile watching the NBA. Having a villain or even just a clear-cut juggernaut is fun to me. 

Who is the villain?  I'm not sure it's Lebron anymore.  It might be the Warriors as they committed the ultimate sin of failing to meet expectations after breaking a hallowed record and followed it up by out super-teaming King Super team.