Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Hornets need a strong shooting wing player that can sometimes create shots.Whether as a passer or slasher. Lance is not either of those things really.

Ariza would have been a better option to me.

Ariza is meant for a team with a strong wing player. He played good with Kobe. He played great with Wall and he's doing great with Harden. Ariza would suck really bad with Kemba Walker.

ESPN's scoreboard is all kinds of messed up right now.

Stats too.  Paul George didn't have a stats page when I looked him up a second ago.  Don't those ****s know basketball junkies look up stats and scores immediately after the games end?  I actually had to go to nba.com for something other than shot charts or summer league scores.  :)

Edited by Destino

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/11/22/unexpected-beasts-leasts-suggest-surprisingly-wide-open-east/?ls=iref:nbahpt6f

Don’t poke at your remote or punch at settings on your touchscreen if you feel a little cross-eyed looking at the Eastern Conference standings. They aren’t what we thought they’d be, to do a 180 on the NFL’s Dennis Green/Bears rant from a few years back.

They aren’t even close, actually, after three full weeks of the 2014-15 regular season.

Most of the respected media outlets didn’t imagine Toronto as the East’s top dog, nor Milwaukee as a playoff team, nor Cleveland as a team that grind along below .500 as Thanksgiving approached.

Few if any expected Orlando to be well in front of New York at this or any other point of the schedule, and Charlotte was a trendy enough pick that some imagined home-court privileges for the Hornets in the first round.

Not many knew what to make of Atlanta, though it generally wasn’t good, but the Hawks weren’t dismissed nearly as readily as Boston was in the “experts’ ” preseason picks. One thing all the geniuses could agree on was Philadelphia’s spot at the shovel end of this circus train, but that had less to do with crystal balls and algorithms than it did with the Sixers’ stated ambition of zero ambitions.

But look where everyone is now.

The East standings are so jumbled, compared to what most expected, that it raises a few questions:

LOL! The only question raised for me is how so many of these "experts" and "respected media outlets" actually get paid to make their dumbass predictions.

Maybe if they'd have stopped carrying LeBron's and Rose's jock for one second they could have actually, you know, done some analysis. All the Chicago and Cleveland offseason hype was nothing more than a bunch of stupid groupthink. The exact same crap that had the basketball world planning a Lakers championship parade in August 2012.

Those of us actually paying attention to the conference last season could see the Raptors and Wizards coming a mile away. It's not at all surprising this Knicks team sucks. It's not surprising that this Cleveland team has struggled so much early on. Seriously, who in the hell couldn't see this coming? And it really shouldn't be surprising that a Bucks team with lots of quality players is actually winning some games.

Take your heads out of your asses and watch games basketball media.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

So am I seeing things or have the Cavs really not won a game where they haven't scored 110 points or more?  lol  Those weren't huge scoring blowouts either, 4 of the 5 were wins by less than 10. 

I bet Eddie Jordan and Mike D'Antonio are somewhere looking at that team and thinking "now that's my kind of basketball!"

Edited by Destino

I am surprised the Hornets have been so awful though. They should be a low seed, not hanging around the bottom. Maybe they get it together eventually, but this is looking like the kind of season people get fired/traded over.

That's part of what I was getting at earlier. I can buy that they overachieved last year but why are they flat-out awful now?

Cousins put up 31pts (11/15) and 18reb.  He's off to a great start this season and while we are on the subject of starting strong... 

Anthony Davis, 43pts (16/23) and 14reb.  Hello third year leap.  The face of the NBA is going to have a unibrow for years and years.  lol

Edited by Destino

Guys...it's November.

Season isn't even a month old.

Anybody even looking at the standings at this point is foolish.

You can't make any sweeping statements on anyone at this point. All those predictions (not saying I agree with them) may all very well turn out true

Cleveland will turn it around eventually. They still won't beat any of the top teams in the East but they won't be such a debacle and will be a tough out come April

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

I am surprised the Hornets have been so awful though. They should be a low seed, not hanging around the bottom. Maybe they get it together eventually, but this is looking like the kind of season people get fired/traded over.

One thing that hurt them was letting McRoberts go. He was protection inside for Jefferson and their second best rebounder and best outlet passer. I called that when he signed in Miami.

• Like 1

So right now the top two seeds in each conference are Memphis & Golden State and Toronto & Washington. If a combination of those four teams make up the Finals, it'd be the first time since 1998 (Bulls over Jazz) that a Finals hasn't included Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, or LeBron James. Crazy.

Throw Jordan and Olajuwon in there and you have to go back to 1990 (Detroit over Portland).

Throw Isiah Thomas and Kareem Abdul Jabbar (or Magic) in there and you have to go back to 1981 (Boston over Houston).

Throw Larry Bird in and you go back to 1979 (Seattle over Washington). That Finals marked the end of the sole decade of real parity in the NBA's history.

For the first season in 35 years, it looks like the games four or five best players aren't on the best teams. This is remarkable.

The NBA is actually headed into an era of parity. I think there are at least 9 or 10 teams with a legit chance of winning the title this season, more than I can ever remember.

And I think the 2011 CBA is responsible for this.

Skip made a good point today. LeBron does seem to talk down about his teammates a lot. It seems every interview he gives is some sort of shot as his team. Just how long is that act gonna last before it wears thin?

Eh he's probably a better teammate than Kobe and Jordan ever were.

It has to be frustrating for him to go from Miami, where the entire roster played cohesive defense to Cleveland, where no one seems interested in hustling or defending.

Skip made a good point today. LeBron does seem to talk down about his teammates a lot. It seems every interview he gives is some sort of shot as his team. Just how long is that act gonna last before it wears thin?

I honestly don't think he expected the Cavs to be this inconhesive.  They are just not a good team.  I don't know what Blatt has done to Love, but he's a shell of himself right now.  Kyrie Irving is not a good PG and is more of SG.  IMO, the Cavs would be better served if they slid Kyrie over to the 2 permanently and tried to acquire a pass-first PG.  I would treat Irving much like Larry Brown did with AI.  Iverson was at his best when Eric Snow was running the point. 

This team is a mess...no matter how much they fix on offense, they are beyond pathetic defensively.  It's a stark contrast to what Lebron had in Miami.  This is what he wanted, and while I do love watching Lebron play, I'm 100% enjoying the struggles of the Cavs right now. 

Is a Blatt even allowed to really coach? There have been a lot of clips of Blatt trying to get around Lebron in order to speak to the players during a timeout and not having much luck. I remember Spoelstra getting into shouting matches with Wade and stuff, because he knew that the GM had his back.

What happens if Blatt pulls Lebron for falling asleep on defense? Can he do that? I ask because Lebron's defense isn't being talked about positively and hasn't been for over a year.

Edited by Destino

Warriors keep on rolling.

That was a good win.  Everything seemed set up for a loss.  Bogut goes out with an injury, Barbosa goes out with an injury, neither Steph nor Klay are hitting any shots in the second half at all, the Dubs miss not one, not two, not three, but FOUR uncontested dunks, the game was played at a glacial pace that favored OKC, and the refs swallowed their whistles for the entire second half and let OKC just maul people (that one play where three people hit Barnes at the same time and he got no call was hilarious), .... everything pointed toward a loss.   

The Warriors of years past would have lost that game by 15.   

I feel like I need to say this because it keeps popping up, and I wholy disagree. Giannis A will never be a star in this league. Sure he is long. But that's it. Dude barely does anything, and everyone fawns all over him. He will be a journey man role player at best. The only reason why some like him ( Gobert) will even stay in this league is because people don't grow that big that often. He's not a durant in the making. He's not a Paul George reincarnated. He's a non goofy jan vesely.

I feel like I need to say this because it keeps popping up, and I wholy disagree. Giannis A will never be a star in this league. Sure he is long. But that's it. Dude barely does anything, and everyone fawns all over him. He will be a journey man role player at best. The only reason why some like him ( Gobert) will even stay in this league is because people don't grow that big that often. He's not a durant in the making. He's not a Paul George reincarnated. He's a non goofy jan vesely.

I don't know if he'll ever be a star, there aren't many of those, but he's only 19 and averaging 12ppg.  It's too early to write him off.  Guys his size don't normally have his handles and this season he's getting himself to the rim off the dribble and finishing at a good rate. 

Also not all "role players" are created equal, some are much more valuable than others.  Trevor Ariza is a role player and the impact he has on teams is significant.  I think you are undervaluing Antetokounmpo's potential.  Not too many guys out there with a 7-3 wingspan that can defend both wing positions.  If he keeps improving he'll be an impact player.  

As for star?  Too early to tell but you are likely right.  Stars are not common and they usually aren't surprises.