Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I always say that Lebron is Larry Bird in Karl Malone's body. And that is a major compliment to both of them.

The key to everything Malone did was just how ridiculously durable and consistent he was. He didn't make the finals until he was 31 and 32....and was still in his prime. I'm not sure he ever did not have a prime. I don't think he was as great as his numbers say, because he basically played every possible minute of every possible game during his career with a coach and point guard who were put on Earth with one goal - get Karl Malone buckets.

This is really all you need to know about Malone.

At age 38, he played 80 games, average 38 minutes per game, and scored 22 per game. The guy may was one of the biggest physical freaks in the history of sports.

In comparsion, Garnett has not played more than 70 games only once since he turned 32. He hasn't played more than 38 minutes since he turned 31.

I always think it's interesting to look at the progression from rookie to prime years for NBA players.  Some of them still look like kids--really big kids--when they get drafted.  Even LeBron and Dwight Howard did.  Then most of them get pretty big and develop their man strength.  Some of them shed their baby fat and get progressively leaner like Hibbert and Andre Drummond and DeMarcus Cousins.  And then some look like they've been superheroes their entire life, like Blake Griffin and Karl Malone.

Karl Malone as a college kid looks like Dwight Howard today:

61666a_med.jpeg

You can tell he was just born with that freakish country size and strength.  With those muscles and that mustache, he was scary as a rookie.  Then by the time he gets to his bald head and goatee phase he looks like a roided up pro-wrestler.  There is no way an athlete with his body would fall to 13th in the draft today.

What's surprising about him was how high cut and relatively lean he was for being so heavy and muscular.  He probably walked around with very low body fat.  LeBron is built like a brick house too, but he's not as tall and high cut as Malone was.  He probably has to work a lot harder than Malone did to stay conditioned and carry his weight so well.

I always think it's interesting to look at the progression from rookie to prime years for NBA players.  Some of them still look like kids--really big kids--when they get drafted.  Even LeBron and Dwight Howard did.  Then most of them get pretty big and develop their man strength.  Some of them shed their baby fat and get progressively leaner like Hibbert and Andre Drummond and DeMarcus Cousins.  And then some look like they've been superheroes their entire life, like Blake Griffin and Karl Malone.

Karl Malone as a college kid looks like Dwight Howard today:

61666a_med.jpeg

NOBODY in the NBA looked like that in 1985. That was still at the tail end of the "too many muscles hurts your flexibility" belief that permeated both the NBA and MLB.

I remember an SI article before the '87 season that revealed that Larry Bird had added weight lifting to his off-season workout plan. And this was treated as huge news.

Scroll through this article and look at the picture of James Worthy in '85 versus Worthy in '87. It's like he discovered bicep curls.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/worthy_bio.html

i moved to the radio market in the mitch richmond days (pre webber/vlade/peja) when the kings were arguably the worst franchise in the history of all sports.   they had never had a winning season in the Sacramento (after their inaugural season with left over KC players.. but that team was blown up the first year).

when they ALMOST backed into the playoffs in 1995 (or so) with a 38 and 44 record... the city went nuts

when they followed that up with a 30 and 52 season (i am making up numbers here, by the way)  the city still went nuts...  the possibilities were endless.  if Sharooooonus Marcelonis gould just last the season on his bone-on bone knees, with Michael (the animal) Smith as the the third most important player --- after Mitch Richmond and Brian (the future) Grant     

I actually didn't like the nba at all at that point.  the bullets were an afterthought the whole time i lived in DC.... the last game i had attended had Kareem Abdul Jabbar playing... but it was endearing going to sacramento and seeing the sold out arenas, and screaming fans for a team that sucked.  That had always sucked.  that presumably would ALWAYS suck.   It was all they had (not even any real college teams)  And then, in one season they drafted Jason Williams, traded for Chris Webber, signed Vlade as a free agent, and had Peja show up (he was drafted earlier, but had stayed in Europe).    it was also fun seeing THAT happen out of nowhere.

but mostly i was won over when the kings were truly were the island of misfit toys, and the local children played with them anyways :)

(it looks like THOSE glory years have returned)

I'm sure I'm missing someone, but what centers have ever become coaches?

Kareem has never been able to get a coaching job at any level despite going into SI and begging for a gig. Is there a bias against hiring centers?

Bill Cartwright lol

boris diaw 10 years ago was a top 10 fantasy player lol

Wow, the ball movement by the Spurs right now is insane.  The question is, can the AARP club keep that pace the entire game and rest of the series.  If the Spurs lose tonight, I think its over for them.  Hell, if they win tonight, it still might be over for them should it go the distance.