Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Of course it does, but do you think those other guys can do what Iggy does in the same position? Be a playmaker, set an offense, be a great passer, move without the ball, and play great perimeter defense?

He's made a very good transition from having to be a first or second guy for a team to 6th man/very valuable role player with a high basketball IQ.  

GSW is a marvel to watch because, yes, it's a team full of superstars that play smart basketball, move the ball well and play good defense but their bench players are highly adept, too.  I don't know what the stats say but it seems like they don't lose too much on the floor when any combination of Steph/KD/Draymond/Klay are on the bench.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He's made a very good transition from having to be a first or second guy for a team to 6th man/very valuable role player with a high basketball IQ.  

GSW is a marvel to watch because, yes, it's a team full of superstars that play smart basketball, move the ball well and play good defense but their bench players are highly adept, too.  I don't know what the stats say but it seems like they don't lose too much on the floor when any combination of Steph/KD/Draymond/Klay are on the bench.  

The point I am making is that he shoudl never have been the first or second guy. Iggy did this in Denver as well and would have done this in Philly with better talent around him.

I actually don't buy the "Warriors are all superstars" narrative. The Warriors bench this season was worse than past years and they struggled in the Clippers series. Its really been since KD got injured that they turned it around. What I do buy is that this is easily the best coached and most intelligent team we have seen in a long time.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The point I am making is that he shoudl never have been the first or second guy. Iggy did this in Denver as well and would have done this in Philly with better talent around him.

I actually don't buy the "Warriors are all superstars" narrative. The Warriors bench this season was worse than past years and they struggled in the Clippers series. Its really been since KD got injured that they turned it around. What I do buy is that this is easily the best coached and most intelligent team we have seen in a long time.

I agree, he never should have been the first or second guy but IIRC, he found himself in a situation where he had to be.  

Iggy is a true throwback.  He could have been the sixth man on pretty much any championship team you can think of.  I think he has an argument for greatest sixth man in NBA history.

But the one thing he can't do is score on volume for a good offense.  He doesn't have the handle, first step, or the shooting ability.  I would take Paul George over him if salary isn't a factor.  PG has a pure shot and he is also a good ball handler.  I can have him play a Scottie Pippen role or a Klay Thompson role, depending on what I had surrounding him.  Iggy doesn't have that level of versatility.  Plus if my franchise player goes down, PG can get me 25+ points a night for an entire season.  Volume scorers who play elite defense are few and far between.

• Like 1

Another thing about Paul George vs Iggy is that George is 6'9 whereas Iggy is only 6'6.  You're a lot more comfortable with a PG switch onto an offensive minded 4 than you are with Iggy.

The FT shooting is another big difference too.  PG shoots for a great percentage.  There is basically no situation where you need to worry about PG and take him off the court.  He doesn't really have any weak points in his game.

42 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Paul George's handle isnt as good as Iggy's imo and he isnt a playmaker. The biggest thing is PG doesn't have an IQ as high as Iggy's. 

IQ I agree with.  And I acknowledge that it's one of the most important ingredients for winning a championship.  And it's part of why he has a knack for coming up big in the postseason.

But I would trust Paul George more to attack a set defense off the dribble and create a shot.  I would also trust him more on offense in crunch time.  Iggy doesn't have as good a feel for the ball.  He flubs lay ups and bricks a lot of open threes and free throws.  PG is a lot smoother and more reliable.  Take a situation like the final moments of the NC game between Texas Tech and UVA where Jarrett Culver, after getting locked down by DeAndre Hunter for most of the game, got an ISO possession from the top of the key, drove left on two defenders and finished at the rim for the go-ahead lay up.  That kind of creative scoring ability can bail you out of a ton of mistakes and close out games for you.  I would trust PG in a situation like that, but not Iggy.

If the other parts of the game are pretty much equal, I think you have to go with the volume scoring first or second option over the fourth option.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

IQ I agree with.  And I acknowledge that it's one of the most important ingredients for winning a championship.  And it's part of why he has a knack for coming up big in the postseason.

But I would trust Paul George more to attack a set defense off the dribble and create a shot.  I would also trust him more on offense in crunch time.  Iggy doesn't have as good a feel for the ball.  He flubs lay ups and bricks a lot of open threes and free throws.  PG is a lot smoother and more reliable.  Take a situation like the final moments of the NC game between Texas Tech and UVA where Jarrett Culver, after getting locked down by DeAndre Hunter for most of the game, got an ISO possession from the top of the key, drove left on two defenders and finished at the rim for the go-ahead lay up.  That kind of creative scoring ability can bail you out of a ton of mistakes and close out games for you.  I would trust PG in a situation like that, but not Iggy.

If the other parts of the game are pretty much equal, I think you have to go with the volume scoring first or second option over the fourth option.

I think you are moving elsewhere. I readily admit PG is a better talent than Iggy. Its not a debate who the better scorer is either.

My point is Iggy knows how to play the game better than those many of the best players in the league. As in he knows where to be on the court offensively, where to help his teammates on the defensive end, etc. He makes the right passes, etc.

38 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think you are moving elsewhere. I readily admit PG is a better talent than Iggy. Its not a debate who the better scorer is either.

My point is Iggy knows how to play the game better than those many of the best players in the league. As in he knows where to be on the court offensively, where to help his teammates on the defensive end, etc. He makes the right passes, etc.

He's going to have that old man type of game that Andre Miller had.  

Just now, Hersh said:

Maybe it did. Bucks letting them back in it. 

This would be an epic collapse. 

Quarter almost over and now they flying around trying to make stuff happen.  Either of these teams are good enough that when they go all effort it's a different convo.