Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

13 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Listen, if y'all watched Curry last night and thought that was boring, I got nothing for you.

The refs have been trash, like worse officiated Finals ever to be honest, but what else am I going to watch right now? 

Yeah, we're in that time of the year when a lot of TV programming has come to the end for the season.  Understandable.  I tried to watch some of it in the 3rd quarter, but I just wasn't interested.  Maybe if we had a couple of new teams (or 1 new team), I might tune in a bit more.

I was just looking at the box scores for the 1985 NBA Finals (LA/Boston).  Played 6 games with a high of 148 points and a low of 100.  Lakers averaged 115 PPG and the Celtics 113 PPG.  I looked at all 6 box scores to see what the 3 point attempts were.  No one broke double digits.  9 was the high (Celtics I believe).

I couldn't stand the 90s "brawl ball" era.  Unwatchable.  I do believe that the ball movement in this era is really good.  I guess my biggest problem with it (and this goes for college ball too) is that its all on the perimeter of the 3 point line.  I know this might be an old man rant, but the 80s NBA had just as good of ball movement as they do now, without resorting to chucking 3's.  I liked the balance the 80s had with a good inside game and good mid-range game and then using the 3 every once in a while to break your back.

I know someone will argue there was no defense back then, but I beg to differ.  You'd get your head taken off if you dared to go in the paint. Lots of hard fouls back then. I think the transition game was really good in the 80s.  I know it's hard to compare eras because of the rule changes (hand checking, zone defense, etc.).

I think Steve mentioned moving the 3 point line back.  How far does it have to go?  30 feet?  I mean it's at 23-9 now (except in the corners) and these guys are just getting too good from behind the line.  I mean, when 4s and 5s are practicing 3 pointers, I'm not sure I like that.

It would be interesting to see a couple of teams play an exhibition game without any 3 point lines, just to see how it goes.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Listen, if y'all watched Curry last night and thought that was boring, I got nothing for you.

Even though I have zero faith for Cavs to make a series of this, some of those shots Curry was making I had to rewind my DVR on it was so out of this world.  People talk about their starting 5, and I've heard people say that Kobe as their backup SG, any reason someone wouldn't Curry as their backup PG?  His shooting ability and range is non-human.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Even though I have zero faith for Cavs to make a series of this, some of those shots Curry was making I had to rewind my DVR on it was so out of this world.  People talk about their starting 5, and I've heard people say that Kobe as their backup SG, any reason someone wouldn't Curry as their backup PG?  His shooting ability and range is non-human.

Backup... HE'S STARTING! 

Right now my ultimate starting five is....

Curry

Jordan

Lebron

KD

Hakeem

What Curry has, I want that in any era. I think in the 90's, even with the hand check, it wouldn't matter with him. Plus. Lebron and Hakeem would feed him all he needs. It would be ridiculous watching those five play on the same team.

3 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Backup... HE'S STARTING! 

Right now my ultimate starting five is....

Curry

Jordan

Lebron

KD

Hakeem

What Curry has, I want that in any era. I think in the 90's, even with the hand check, it wouldn't matter with him. Plus. Lebron and Hakeem would feed him all he needs. It would be ridiculous watching those five play on the same team.

Yikes, over Magic?  That shooting ability cannot be understated, but he is still undersized and not an emphasis on passing ability.  Granted, he doesn't need to be in that style offense (he doesn't have to be Wall), but he's another example to me of someone playing PG because they are the best Guard on the team (not because they are a great PG), and should a SG (which GS won't do because they have Klay).  This isn't to say Curry doesn't belong on a top 5 team when discussing backups like honerable mentions, is just don't agree with starting him as a PG just because he can shoot like that.  Curry has only averaged over 7 assists per game twice in his career, Magic was averaging a double-double for nearly a decade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m gonna sub out KD for prime Rodman.  I need a guy to do the dirty work on that squad.

I have Jordan and Hakeem. Forget dirty work. I have the insides and outsides on lock. KD, LeBron, and Curry are just there to do their thing... Which should be even easier because of the presence of Jordan and Hakeem.

I do like your idea of Rodman, I think I can live with that trade though.

@Renegade7, Magic would work perfectly too. I just feel like he and LeBron are too similar and I'd rather have that space that Curry can create... Dude is pulling up from 25, 26 feet... And they go in a lot. lol

• Like 1

Funny, I was just about to post a question about what good NBA basketball was to you guys. If the argument is over 3pt attempts..I guess I can see that argument.

If the argument is over scoring...well as been stated before by Predicto (?)...there aren't many big man scrubs starting in today's NBA. Every generation before there were tons of unathletic big men starting and coming off the bench.. The Lakers/Celts 1980s ers were full of those players who couldn't make it today. Players are d'ing up and the era of easy transition buckets in largely over.

That said, KD doesn't need to take another 3 pt shot this playoffs. Not if he's being guarded by someone 3-4 inches shorter than him. He has easy 8-10 footers all night long.

Edited by The Evil Genius

35 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

@Renegade7, Magic would work perfectly too. I just feel like he and LeBron are too similar and I'd rather have that space that Curry can create... Dude is pulling up from 25, 26 feet... And they go in a lot. lol

It's an interesting point, I see a lot of top 5s that on paper look unstoppable, but when you really think about it, the weakness is 3pt shooting. 

Question will always be, if you have that level of talent, does your % on 3pts matter?  Having the top 5 at every position is not the same is creating an all-time team that complements itself.  My mind says to have two ball-handling distributors so there's no single point of failure (like what we see teams do to Wall and the Wizards from time to time).  A team that can successfully crash the 3pt line shouldn't be getting dominated by a 3pt shooting team (but that's in theory).

I just don't like the idea of picking a PG on an all-time team that's not even going to be asked to be a PG.  You'd end up with people saying they'd want a Jordan/Kobe backcourt if that's where we're going with this.

Edited by Renegade7

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I just don't like the idea of picking a PG on an all-time team that's not even going to be asked to be a PG.  You'd end up with people saying they'd want a Jordan/Kobe backcourt if that's where we're going with this.

LeBron has the PG roles. He's the one setting the table. That's why I said I don't really need Magic. But... Curry is definitely more than capable of being the other facilitator on this team.

6 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

LeBron has the PG roles. He's the one setting the table. That's why I said I don't really need Magic. But... Curry is definitely more than capable of being the other facilitator on this team.

Oh, I can see that, trust me.  So... I guess you'd rather have Curry in your starting backcourt next to Jordan then Kobe in that case?  Like I mentioned, you're basically saying any all-time team with LeBron on it doesn't need a PG that's great at the main purpose of the PG.  Is Curry really the best PG all-time or best shooter all-time?  I don't think that's the same thing.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Magic would work perfectly too. I just feel like he and LeBron are too similar and I'd rather have that space that Curry can create... Dude is pulling up from 25, 26 feet... And they go in a lot. lol

I'm cool with your lineup. I don't need Magic if I have Lebron and Curry spreads the floor better. With Curry over Magic you have 5 guys that can create their own shot plus Curry pairs beautifully with Jordan and Lebron as a spot of shooter on their drive and kicks. Curry is still a pretty damn good passer and facilitator too though that isn't his primary responsibility now and he isn't Magic/Lebron level

I don't like Magic nearly as much in that lineup

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Oh, I can see that, trust me.  So... I guess you'd rather have Curry in your starting backcourt next to Jordan then Kobe in that case?  Like I mentioned, you're basically saying any all-time team with LeBron on it doesn't need a PG that's great at the main purpose of the PG.  Is Curry really the best PG all-time or best shooter all-time?  I don't think that's the same thing.

No... I'm not saying Curry is the best PG ever at all. Definitely ready to say he's the best shooter of all-time though. It's been four years and he's still hitting those same shots. It's not a fluke, dude really is the best shooter.

Anyway you want it to. Break it down off the dribble, catch and shoot, he's even taking it to the rack on bammas and hitting ridiculous shots at the rim.

That's why I said ultimate Starting 5. That wasn't a death lineup, that's a Weapons of Mass Destruction Lineup.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm cool with your lineup. I don't need Magic if I have Lebron and Curry spreads the floor better. With Curry over Magic you have 5 guys that can create their own shot plus Curry pairs beautifully with Jordan and Lebron as a spot of shooter on their drive and kicks. Curry is still a pretty damn good passer and facilitator too though that isn't his primary responsibility now and he isn't Magic/Lebron level

I don't like Magic nearly as much in that lineup

You know what I like about that lineup outside of their basketball skills, Jordan will be in LeBron and KD's ass making sure they don't get complacent.

If it's one thing that irks my nerves about LeBron and KD, they can be frustratingly lackadaisical at times. So annoying. LeBron is supposed to destroy Curry ANY time he's on him. That's just unacceptable. Smh...

If you did something like:

Curry

Jordan

Magic

LeBron

Mutombo

That would be tough. Length, athleticism, and ball handling, and defensive stopping power overall. Still think a Princeton style offense with like:

Pistol Pete 

Reggie Miller

LeBron 

Dirk

Shaq

Would slaughter everyone by a biblical number of points.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yikes, over Magic?  That shooting ability cannot be understated, but he is still undersized and not an emphasis on passing ability.  Granted, he doesn't need to be in that style offense (he doesn't have to be Wall), but he's another example to me of someone playing PG because they are the best Guard on the team (not because they are a great PG), and should a SG (which GS won't do because they have Klay).  This isn't to say Curry doesn't belong on a top 5 team when discussing backups like honerable mentions, is just don't agree with starting him as a PG just because he can shoot like that.  Curry has only averaged over 7 assists per game twice in his career, Magic was averaging a double-double for nearly a decade.

With Lebron out there, 7 assists is plenty.  The traditional roles are kinda out the window.

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Klay is a better version of Reggie Miller. 

I think Reggie Miller is one of the most overrated players in NBA history.  

6 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

I dont think Magic and Lebron are as closely related as the narrative has made them. Especially this version of Lebron.  Lebron is a 50/50 split, Frankenstein's monster of Magic and Michael, IMO.  I dont think he's any closer to Magic's game than he is to Jordan's.

Edited by justice98

37 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont think Magic and Lebron are as closely related as the narrative has made them. Especially this version of Lebron.  Lebron is a 50/50 split, Frankenstein's monster of Magic and Michael, IMO.  I dont think he's any closer to Magic's game than he is to Jordan's.

That's because he HAS to be. That's why Miami LeBron was so polarizing... It was like he did whatever he wanted to at times.

Since the review rule in the NBA seems to be all over the place, can someone explain to me why they couldn't go back and give the Cavs a timeout with like 1 or 2 seconds left?  Lebron clearly calls a timeout but it goes uncalled by the officials.  It seems like something that is black and white with video, yet they didn't go back and give it to them.

(Talking about game 1 JR Smith blunder obviously)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Since the review rule in the NBA seems to be all over the place, can someone explain to me why they couldn't go back and give the Cavs a timeout with like 1 or 2 seconds left?  Lebron clearly calls a timeout but it goes uncalled by the officials.  It seems like something that is black and white with video, yet they didn't go back and give it to them.

(Talking about game 1 JR Smith blunder obviously)

That's a good question. If they can change a freaking charge, they should be able to do anything. Smh...