Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Rookie's usually struggle but Lonzo has the added pressure of his dad embarrassing him at every turn, being in the national spotlight with the Lakers and having every other team clown him all game long.

He better have godlike mental fortitude to deal with all the **** that's coming his way.

42 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wall dropped 14 and 9 in his first game and 28 and 9 in his second.  In his first home game he dropped 29 and 13 and had 9 steals.  He ended up having one of the better rookie seasons any PG has ever had.  Definitely one of the best of any one and done.  We immediately knew Wall was a beast.

Is this true though? Early on Wall was criticized for his turnovers. He grew up and became a big time PG but let's not act like he didn't struggle at first 

Lavar "Lonzo did good" 

Stephen A "What game were you watching???" 

Lavar "Lonzo did bad he came back and won Vegas MVP" 

Man this First take man got me cracking up

Lol https://www.mediaite.com/online/lavar-ball-goes-at-it-with-stephen-a-smith-after-lonzo-balls-poor-nba-debut-excuse-me/

It's a shame that Lonzo's dad has brought so much negative attention to his son by running his mouth non-stop.  It was funny in the beginning, the whole "MJ couldn't beat me one on one in my prime" etc.  But it's way past the point of ridiculous.  And him still running his mouth when his son got shut down in his rookie debut, pathetic.  

I feel bad for Alonzo, I'm sure it's not easy having to defend your dad 24/7 after the ridiculous hype and **** he talks.  And this is the NBA, not UCLA and certainly not high school where you were a man among boys when Lavar running his mouth was overlooked because of the talent your brought.  I imagine at some point, especially if he continues to play like he needs to come off the bench, that his teammates are going to start voicing their opinions about his dad, etc.  

And I'm sick of Lavar always bringing up the stupid shoes, who gives a **** if Patrick Beverley doesn't have his own shoe, he makes enough money and could do the same thing Lavar did if he wanted to.  And $200 for slides?  :stop:

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Boys this is the funniest thing I've ever seen

At times Lavar makes me laugh and I get it, his crazy ass comments is a goldmine for the media, it creates views/clicks, I get that.  But listening to those comments and him basically saying that the team needs to learn to play with Alonzo and then they will start winning and not putting any responsibility or blame on his son, it's going to start pissing his teammates off and most likely they will not want to be around him except when they have to (practice, games, etc.).  

His teammates are grown ass men, playing on the same level as him, making millions of dollars, etc.  it's only a matter of time before his dad's comments and bashing push them over the edge and they take it out on him.

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Pops told you early in that interview what it was about. 

"Big Baller went up 12%....Even if you lose I win" 

Bad parenting makes good marketing, I guess. Waiting for him to get a Kardashian pregnant lol

He definitely stated what it was all about, attention, free publicity (no such thing as bad pub), free advertising on national TV.  Of course we all know that nobody gonna buy $500 shoes of a guy that went 1-6 shooting, 3 pts and they certainly aren't going to buy them because of Lavar.  

• Like 1

All he knows how to do is burn bridges and draw attention to himself.  He's using his son's basketball career to hawk his stupid brand.  It's shameless and it's absolutely going to hurt Lonzo's career.  He already has by getting Lonzo chased away from the real shoe companies.  We're a couple months away from getting a story on ESPN.com about how Lonzo's worn down and just needs to go home and play some golf and reset, away from all of the attention.

14 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Pierce and Allen over Worthy and Drexler..........nah, not liking that.

With the possible exception of Robert Parish, Worthy had the greatest job in NBA history. He had one exceptional skill (finishing on fast breaks) and was put in a position where that was literally all he had to do for the first 8 or 9 years of his career. And he had the greatest point guard ever setting him up. How many #1 picks come into a situation where they are never going to be asked to be anything more than the third best player on their team?

Simmons raised this question in his book, and I think it's the best "what if" he ever devised. What if Wilkins went #1 to LA and Worthy ended up in Atlanta.

Wilkins might have freaked out over not being the primary offensive focus, but no one would listen to him with Kareem standing next to him. And my God, how many highlight dunks would he have had with Magic feeding him on the break?

I think Drexler is highly over-rated fwiw. He was a good (and fun) player, but he wasn't one of those guys who you feared, if that made sense. The problem the Blazers gave teams was really based on their depth as much as anything.

The real issue with these types of lists going forward is the damn lengths of the careers now.

Is Dirk better than Bird? I was a Bird acolyte in the 80s,  but Bird started breaking down after season 9.  Dirk was a Finals MVP in year 13 and an all star in year 17.

Pierce was a reasonably terrifying playoff scorer in Year 17. Worthy was done totally after 12 years, and was done as a force after 10.

I mean, we are in Lebron's freaking 15th season, and he's still the best player in the league. Would anyone be shocked if he played until he was 40, which means 22 total seasons?

The thing that truly amazes me about Lebron is that he's played in 217 playoff games. Magic played in 190. Jordan in 179. Kareem had 237 so he'll probably pass that next year at age 34.

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I say yes to Pierce, no to Allen, also no to Steve Nash.  

I think people forget how damn good Allen was in Milwaukee and Seattle. He was a top ten player in the league for 10 or 11 years before he moved into the 3rd and 4th guy role that everyone remembers.

Back to my earlier point, he had played the length of Larry Bird's entire career before he got really famous.

• Like 3

I agree with almost all of that list.  However, I would keep Drexler and drop Reggie Miller.  And I would (probably) keep Bill Walton and drop Paul Pierce.   I might even keep Dolph Schayes and drop Iverson (Iverson is almost as overrated as Pistol Pete Maravich)..    

LKB is right about James Worthy.  He was the third wheel on a dynasty.  Magic  made him what he was.  

I'm sorry, but Debuscherre was not one of the 50 all time best players.  He was the 3rd or even 4th best player on those Knicks teams.   Neither was Cowens.   He was a hustle player who was barely a top 5 center when he played.  His MVP award in 1973 clearly should have gone to Kareem, but the old white sportswriters were pissed at Kareem because he changed his name and got all Muslim and uppity.    

And any argument that Jason Kidd was not top 50 is just crazy.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The thing that truly amazes me about Lebron is that he's played in 217 playoff games. Magic played in 190. Jordan in 179. Kareem had 237 so he'll probably pass that next year at age 34.

That's an additional 2.65 seasons of basketball for LeBron.  And high pressure, too.  Can't take a night off and coast against the Hornets or something.

I also agree with Reggie Miller not being top 50.  I'd put Nash in before him, though.

No issue with Walton being eliminated.  Great player for sure, but injuries cut so much of his career.  He had one truly great season when he won the MVP.  80 games played was a career high for him, but that came as a reserve in limited minutes as a glue guy for the Celtics.  His next highest game total was 67.

If this was a list of "All Time 'What Could Have Been?'" NBA players, he'd be a top 5.  Bias #1. 

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, Predicto said:

Spiff you might be right about Walton.  I guess I have him in under the Gale Sayers principle - there was a (short) period of time where Walton was the best player in the NBA, even better than Kareem.  It didn't last long, but it was there.  

I don't know much about Sayers but off the top of my head I think he actually played full seasons right?  Walton only did once as a starter.  No doubt a tremendous talent, it's a shame his body gave out on him.

@TryTheBeal! Nard still had a long career, aside from that injury right in the middle of it.  Came back and was still really effective and played in full seasons before and after.   First great Bullet I remember growing up.