Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Paul George broke his leg in the summer and came back at the end of the season, looking pretty rusty.  Hayward will miss the regular season for sure and probably the playoffs.  He's not going to be a factor for Boston this year.  He's got a long recovery in front of him, it was a devastating injury that likely torpedoed Boston's chance at the Finals because they sacrificed all of their depth to get him and Kyrie.  It is what it is.  But the bright side is that it will actually facilitate the development of Brown and Tatum.  They're going to have to play a ton of minutes.

35 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That's good news if it holds up.  He'll be ok. It was a bad looking injury, but you would think he died on the floor the way folks are reacting.

I wouldn't say anyone was making it out like he would die on the floor.  But it was a nasty break.  And seeing him sitting there with both legs straight out with his knees facing upward and seeing his foot broken at a 90 degree angle to his legs was not a pretty sight.  He's lucky it was a clean break and no other damage, because he can come back from that, eventually.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Paul George broke his leg in the summer and came back at the end of the season, looking pretty rusty.  Hayward will miss the regular season for sure and probably the playoffs.  He's not going to be a factor for Boston this year.  He's got a long recovery in front of him, it was a devastating injury that likely torpedoed Boston's chance at the Finals because they sacrificed all of their depth to get him and Kyrie.  It is what it is.  But the bright side is that it will actually facilitate the development of Brown and Tatum.  They're going to have to play a ton of minutes.

And I think Ainge gets some credit here because, this would be terrible if they were taking a run on a short window.  Like this was their shot.  But every player of consequence is under contract for the next couple years, except for maybe Marcus Smart.

That Al Horford contract is gonna be rough though.

Edited by justice98

I tend to agree that - assuming that Hayward comes back at close to the same level - this may be good for Boston in the long run. They have a few potential studs on the roster and they are going to play a lot in an environment where the expectations have been greatly reduced.

I said this right after the trade, and I am still excited by the idea of Kyrie actually being coached. Because he has never been coached until now. And he looked like he was trying to play within an offense last night. (Last night was weird because the Celtics looked like they all wanted to go to their hotel room and cry for two quarters. That should have been a 25 point blow-out and somehow wasn't). 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

This isnt a bold statement by any stretch since he was #1, but I think Ben Simmons will be ROY.

The league really needs to stop allowing players that have already been in the league for a year qualify for ROY.  Not playing doesn't negate the advantages of spending a full year with the team.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

The league really needs to stop allowing players that have already been in the league for a year qualify for ROY.  Not playing doesn't negate the advantages of spending a full year with the team.  

It's stupid.  He got drafted, he got injured, he did not play his rookie year.  He's now a 2nd year player, shouldn't be eligible for any rookie awards.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Iggy didn't play either. 

As an aside, for a tough guy...Harden seems to fall down a lot with little to no contact. You'd think the NBA refs would have learned from the past 3-4 seasons of it.

CP3 tried one of his patented flops late in the game - it was so blatant that it injured a referee  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fultz has the exact same body language as James Harden.  It's like he's his younger brother.  It's bizarre.

Him, Simmons, and Embiid are freakishly talented.  I was still a little skeptical just because they've had so many injury issues, but I'm sold.  They're at least 5 years away, but this team is a future juggernaut.  They're going to win multiple rings.  Even if Embiid busts Fultz and Simmons are the real deal.  I don't think Embiid busts either.

• Like 1

Philly's best case scenario is an upper middle class man's LeBron playing with James Harden's skinnier little brother and the love child of Olajuwon and Shaq.

I guess that's what happens when you game the system by intentionally being horrible and icing your draft picks and come away with three #1 overall caliber prospects in four years.  Yeah I know Embiid went #3 but he absolutely should have been #1.  No hindsight necessary for that one.

I'm not sold on the sixers.  Fultz can't hit a free throw, which is a game breaking problem for a point guard.  Simmons can't shoot or hit a free throw.  Embiid can't stay healthy.  Lots of talent, but a lot of things have to go right for them for them to be more than a fun regular season team.

• Like 2

The Wizards couldn't shoot at all when they were NBA babies.  Then they got older and now they shoot well.  Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, LeBron James, John Wall.  Many a PG has come into the league a non-shooter and eventually became well rounded.  Simmons will eventually be a solid shooter too.  And FT problems aside, a healthy Fultz is a good shooter who hit over 40% on 5 3PAs a game as a Freshman.  And of course Embiid is a high quality shooter at the 5.  They'll get there.  Bigger question for me is the defense.  Fultz is not a twitchy lateral athlete but he is a lot more fiery and physical than I expected, so maybe he's got some tools there.  And Embiid obviously has the size to be a dominant defensive player.  But he and Simmons are more lackadaisical on that end than you like to see.  To be frank, Simmons looks clueless on that side of the ball.  They played him at the four and five and he hung his teammates out to dry with zero help.  But he's too big to defend the guard spots so you can't exactly hide him on the perimeter.  It's going to be a minute before he figures out what he's doing on that end of the court.

Fultz is their best interior scorer.  He came in injured and played 18 minutes and scored 10 points in 5 different ways, all of them in traffic.  Simmons needs to play with a guy like him to be effective.  He is pass first in his DNA and Fultz is a natural shotmaker who is going to eventually lead them in scoring and do so without becoming a ball stopper because he can see the floor and run pick and rolls too.

I will say this though... Embiid's childishness and um... laid back personality are going to give the hot takers a lot of ammunition for criticism once he's no longer in the honey moon phase of his career.  Seeing him laying on the court beside the bench like he was ready to take a nap after playing 13 minutes... ?

Embiid has barely played organized basketball.  It's obvious that the game has always come easily to him and he's never really had to work to dominate it.  Reminds me of Shaq that way.  That plus the fact that he ballooned up so big when he was hurt gives me a little bit of pause about his work ethic.  He's got some growing up to do before he can realize his potential.

Fultz is going to be good for that group.  I think he's got some dog in him.  They're going to need his competitive fire.