Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

48 minutes ago, Destino said:

Who is the villain?  I'm not sure it's Lebron anymore.  It might be the Warriors as they committed the ultimate sin of failing to meet expectations after breaking a hallowed record and followed it up by out super-teaming King Super team.  

I was talking about Golden State when I wrote that. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Ultimate battle between two superpowers for the fate of the basketball universe

I'm down.

I mean we are staring at 3 straight years of Cavs/Warriors Finals, currently split 1-1. This is the deciding year for them. No guarantees they face off again. 

Sign me up

Cavs-Warriors is going to be the Finals for the next three or four years.

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

The NBA didn't lose popularity when the Bulls were dominating for years.  I see no reason to think that this will be any different.   Especially after the Finals last year.  

"There is nothing wrong with the NBA right now" says the Warriors fan.  

Seriously though, the NBA lost an enormous amount of popularity after Jordan's Bulls were done.  They went back to being a niche sport and are only just now recovering to the mainstream again.

That's the trouble with basing the marketability of your league on one or two teams and a couple of superstar players.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The NBA has tons of marketable superstar players though. 

And they did in the 90's and early 2000's in the post Jordan Bulls era.  But that didn't stop the NBA's decline in popularity or stop the basketball world from spending the next 15 year searching for Jordan's heir.

I think the NBA needs to get away from the dynasty and bandwagon fan model and get fans to buy into their local teams like the NFL has.  I think they should consider lengthening the season without adding any games to make games less frequent and give them more of an "event" feel for fans.  I think they should institute a hard cap.  And then I think they should do away with max deals.  I also think they should make the D-League into a true farm system where every franchise has their own team so that they can better utilize and develop incoming young talent.  That way teams won't be as reliant on filling up their rosters with a limited class of journeymen FAs.  They can develop from within their system like football and baseball teams do.  And also that way fielding a contending organization becomes a meritocracy based on good management, not getting lucky and reeling in a superstar draft pick or free agent.  In general, I think restricting player movement is a good thing for the league because it will keep the talent diffuse and promote parity.  It's also good for the players, whether they like it or not, because it gets their organizations to commit to them and provide stability.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cavs-Warriors is going to be the Finals for the next three or four years.

"There is nothing wrong with the NBA right now" says the Warriors fan.  

Seriously though, the NBA lost an enormous amount of popularity after Jordan's Bulls were done.  They went back to being a niche sport and are only just now recovering to the mainstream again.

That's the trouble with basing the marketability of your league on one or two teams and a couple of superstar players.

Wait what?   The NBA has been a niche sport since the early 2000s?   The year to year revenue charts certainly beg to differ.

are you sure you aren't mistaking the NBA for the NHL?   

Rose looks explosive fast in the first half.  Haven't seem him try that super human sprint-stop-jump-in-a-different direction floater he had as an MVP (which is probably why his knees exploded, and why no one in the NBA ever does that).  Still doesn't look like he can shoot and isn't seeing the floor all that well.

Noah looks bad.  A guy that's always been known for his frantic activity looks slow and doesn't seem to be jumping.  

Porzingas isn't getting the ball enough.  

Yep.  It's not as easy as "replace 8 people on the team, but don't worry everything will fall smoothly into place on Day 1 because we got KD."  

San Antonio just sent a message to the entire league.  

15 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

81 game winning streaks starts after this game 

never change

• Like 1

Yeah the Warriors will be fine.  There will be a little hangover from last season's Finals loss and they'll have to learn to play with some new faces.  But they'll settle in after a few weeks and start winning 80% of their games.

It took LeBron's super teams a little while into the first seasons in both Cleveland and Miami to cohere.  Should be the same deal here.

Meanwhile if the Jazz can just tread water until Favors and Hayward get back, I think that's a playoff team.  That's a nice little roster now that they've stabilized their PG situation and brought in some good veteran presence to buttress the rotation.  They're going to be better than Minnesota IMO.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Also, Lebron is playing with absolutely NO pressure this year.  That's a scary thing. 

He's won the NBA.  He's already solidified himself as top 4 ever IMO.  Now he's just playing for bonus rings and MVP awards.

Cavs are going to have that championship aura and cohesion this year.  I think they get out to a really fast start and look like the top team in the league over the first half of the season.  But I look at that bench and see a serious weakness.  That little rookie PG they've got is the only set of young legs on their bench.  Channing Frye is 33.  Chris Andersen is 38.  James Jones, Richard Jefferson, and Mike Dunleavey are all 36.

LeBron being able to play PG and PF for significant minutes covers up the fact that they have zero depth at those two positions (and starters who are injury prone).  But if Thompson goes down you're looking at a situation where Kevin Love and Channing Frye are your full time centers.  The defense would collapse.

They need to make a trade for an acceptable back up C.

Edited by stevemcqueen1