Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I imagine that GMs aren't going to be terribly pleased with DJs agent. A verbal agreement isn't a contract, but it isn't nothing...

DJ froze his agent out as soon as he got to Houston, there was nothing the man could do. The only person the GMs are going to be upset with at this point is Doc.

He was supposed to make his come back this summer but I haven't heard a single word about him in the FA market.  That leads me to believe he never really recovered from that herniated disc.

He's had back problems going all the way back to UConn. He is 32 at this point...he may hang them up.

I imagine that GMs aren't going to be terribly pleased with DJs agent.  A verbal agreement isn't a contract, but it isn't nothing...

As Renegade states ( kind of), this is the leagues fault. Why do you start free agency...but you can't sign for a week? That's just silly.

As Renegade states ( kind of), this is the leagues fault. Why do you start free agency...but you can't sign for a week? That's just silly.

I get that but something still happened and saying that it's the leagues fault is a cop out.  Verbal agreements aren't always a big deal.  People selling windows or a new car will tell you that they often aren't worth the air thats used to give them life, buyers get cold feet all the time.  This isn't that.  This is an 80 million dollar deal that changed what Dallas did in free agency.  That kind of verbal agreement has weight.  If he told them he would sign, if that actually happened, and now he's signing with the Clippers... I'm pretty sure there are a lot of angry people in Dallas and a lot of GMs around the league that added a note to his agents contact that reads something like this: "don't believe anything that isn't  signed, his word doesn't mean ****." 

• Like 2

DJ froze his agent out as soon as he got to Houston, there was nothing the man could do. The only person the GMs are going to be upset with at this point is Doc.

That just makes him look less competent and reliable than if he said "my client changed his mind, too bad for you". 

I imagine the NBA will be getting with the Player's Association and making an amendment to the CBA to prevent this from happening again. We all know Cuban's temperament, he is going to go off about this for a good long time and he'll make it his own little personal mission to make sure this can't happen again. 

I imagine that GMs aren't going to be terribly pleased with DJs agent.  A verbal agreement isn't a contract, but it isn't nothing...

Yep.  Wouldn't be surprised if Feagan and DeAndre Jordan get blackballed for this.  And the Clippers are going to have a hard time making trades now.

Verbal agreements during the moratorium are essential for the league to conduct the business of free agency because of the way the cap and cap exceptions are structured.  Not just during FA either, teams make promises to prospects in the draft that they are essentially bound to honor because of the potential retribution from agents.  So far as I know, this is the first time a player has broken a verbal agreement with a team during the moratorium.  What Jordan just did was beyond the pale and threatens the way the league conducts free agency.  Imagine if it became the norm for players and teams to start breaking these agreements?  The free agent market would be paralyzed, and it would become extremely difficult to sign new players to your team because of the timing of the contracts matters a great deal because of all of the cap holds a team will have.  

I don't think this is going to end here for Jordan or the Clippers...

I get that but something still happened and saying that it's the leagues fault is a cop out.  Verbal agreements aren't always a big deal.  People selling windows or a new car will tell you that they often aren't worth the air thats used to give them life, buyers get cold feet all the time.  This isn't that.  This is an 80 million dollar deal that changed what Dallas did in free agency.  That kind of verbal agreement has weight.  If he told them he would sign, if that actually happened, and now he's signing with the Clippers... I'm pretty sure there are a lot of angry people in Dallas and a lot of GMs around the league that added a note to his agents contact that reads something like this: "don't believe anything that isn't  signed, his word doesn't mean ****." 

All you have is your name and you word at the end of the day. I won't defend DJ on this, because my word matters to me. I also believe NBA basically has a "tampering-allowed" period that I'm totally not surprised the Clippers used out of desperation. Usually takes something like this to force a change, but there needs to be one.

The reason the moratorium is necessarily used for FA negotiations is because it's the only time you can organize the timing of your contract signings to fit within the rules of the cap.

For example, the Spurs had a huge cap hold for Kawhi Leonard going into this offseason.  They wanted to keep him at a max deal, but if they didn't have the moratorium, they would have had to sign him immediately.  And thus they would not have had the cap space to sign LaMarcus Aldridge.

The moratorium means they can negotiate with Aldridge beforehand, come to an agreement, sign him first, and then immediately sign Kawhi next using his Bird Rights to go over the cap.

This is also essential for the players too.  It gives them way more freedom to choose their teams, and thus far more leverage in contract negotiations.  But also, if the Owners use this as an excuse to end the moratorium and wring a hard cap out of the next CBA, then the players are **** our of luck.  A hard cap is bad for a rich big market team too, because it completely removes their natural market advantage from them.  Big money TV deals don't mean **** for player acquisition if Utah and Memphis can spend exactly the same amount as the New York and LA teams.

Can one of the lawyers of the board tell me if the Mavs can sue DeAndre Jordan using the doctrine of promissory estoppel?

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Can one of the lawyers of the board tell me if the Mavs can sue DeAndre Jordan using the doctrine of promissory estoppel?

Anything involving this would most likely be governed by the CBA, not state or federal law. For example, I assume that if the Mavs challenge this, it would go to binding arbitration, not court.

Anyway, that Jordan story might be my favorite thing in the NBA in five years.

The NBA is learning from the NFL how to be a 12 month sport and it is amazing. I could see Chandler Parsons getting an endorsement deal with an airline after this.

• Like 2

Anything involving this would most likely be governed by the CBA, not state or federal law. For example, I assume that if the Mavs challenge this, it would go to binding arbitration, not court.

Anyway, that Jordan story might be my favorite thing in the NBA in five years.

The NBA is learning from the NFL how to be a 12 month sport and it is amazing. I could see Chandler Parsons getting an endorsement deal with an airline after this.

The Jordan debacle, to me, is just a shade below "The Decision." 

What a mess LOLOLOL

The bigger issue with the Jordan decision is the involvement of the Clippers management/ownership.  This seems to be a case where the commissioners office should have gotten involved.  Even in an "advisory" role.

As management, you have to think bigger picture.  Five years from now, you are trying to make a trade with the Nets during this period of time, but the Spurs are trying to make a similar trade.  The Spurs figure out you are the competition, they go to the Nets and say, 'What are you going to if the Ballmer changes his mind on July 8?'

And so the Nets make the trade with Spurs.

Somebody had to (forcibly) make that point to the Clippers ownership/management.

Edited by PeterMP

I'll be honest.

I enjoyed the emoji nonsense far more than I should have, but once this story started, I was rooting for DeAndre to go back to LA just to see how Mark Cuban responds.

His eventual sit-down with ESPN is going to be epic. I assume that at some point, he will just transform into a giant lizard and try to eat Chris Broussard.

• Like 3

My guess is they'll change the rules to allow players to actually sign contracts in early July instead of this waiting period non sense.

Or that they would notify the league in writing that they have a verbal agreement and will sign the contract, and at that point there would not be allowed any tampering with the player by other teams once that verbal agreement is recognized by the league.

• Like 1

And on a side note, Chris Broussard is having a hell of a week....between getting in to it w/ Bomani Jones and now Mark Cuban.

I'm glad he called out Bomani. He deserved to be called out. Mark Cuban might try to stab him though if they in into each other in a hallway somewhere.