Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not everyone.  But losing Horford and Kyrie is natural.  They don't fit into the career timeline of Tatum and Brown.  Tension and friction were inevitable.  The next step for Boston will be sorting out their wing rotations.  Brown should be playing more, and have more prominence.I

and another big thing is Ainge needs to do a better job with his draft picks.  He hit it out of the park with Tatum, and Brown looks like a nice pick from a weak year, but many of the other picks are underwhelming.  The division is brutal, and it'll be hard to keep up if you do things like pick guerschon yabusele while your rivals get Caris LeVert and Pascal Siakam behind you.

Horford, I get it.  That dude is an ancient mariner, but Kyrie isn't an old fart.  Kyrie with Tatum and Brown, that's not a bad group.  

I'm not sure why Kyrie isn't happy, aside from the fact that he seems to be a petulant, grass is always greener on the other side, type.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not everyone.  But losing Horford and Kyrie is natural.  They don't fit into the career timeline of Tatum and Brown.  Tension and friction were inevitable.  The next step for Boston will be sorting out their wing rotations.  Brown should be playing more, and have more prominence.I

and another big thing is Ainge needs to do a better job with his draft picks.  He hit it out of the park with Tatum, and Brown looks like a nice pick from a weak year, but many of the other picks are underwhelming.  The division is brutal, and it'll be hard to keep up if you do things like pick guerschon yabusele while your rivals get Caris LeVert and Pascal Siakam behind you.

Horford leaving is huge.  (How sure we are about the accuracy of these reports?)

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's on ESPN.com and it's rare they put up anything unless it's 100% verified.

Eh... I wouldn't be too sure of that.  I think the NBA reporters in particular sell a lot of speculation as fact.

28 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Horford leaving is huge.  (How sure we are about the accuracy of these reports?)

I took it for granted but it does seem speculative.  This seems like a very sudden breakdown in the relationship between Horford and the team.  Too sudden.

29 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Because it is about what is doing best for your team.  And if you aren't a very good team, then that they've currently built a super team doesn't matter to you, but acquiring some 2nd round picks and expiring contracts does matter to you.

When it comes to the NBA and how all this **** works (Bird rights, expiring contracts, etc.) I've never really paid that much attention to it, so it can confuse me at times.  With that said, the article I read on ESPN said that LA was looking to take on the contracts for Wagner, Bonga and Jones.  And that they were pursuing the purchase of second round picks for tomorrow's draft.  

Would they be giving up future draft picks  or cash or both to the teams that take on the expiring contracts?  I just don't like how it's set-up I guess.

32 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Horford, I get it.  That dude is an ancient mariner, but Kyrie isn't an old fart.  Kyrie with Tatum and Brown, that's not a bad group.  

I'm not sure why Kyrie isn't happy, aside from the fact that he seems to be a petulant, grass is always greener on the other side, type.  

Kyrie is coming up on year nine and he's got an extensive injury history.  He's ready to win now, and Tatum and Brown are still NBA babies who are years away from their ring questing primes.

Maybe it's the elderly character he played. Or the pained looking way he runs.  Or the fact that he can barely jump.  But Kyrie doesn't strike me as the type who will have a really long career.

beyond that, he's also a moody flake who will check out on his team at the drop of a hat.  So that was always a possibility that could come back to haunt Boston.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kyrie is coming up on year nine and he's got an extensive injury history.  He's ready to win now, and Tatum and Brown are still NBA babies who are years away from their ring questing primes.

Maybe it's the elderly character he played. Or the pained looking way he runs.  Or the fact that he can barely jump.  But Kyrie doesn't strike me as the type who will have a really long career.

beyond that, he's also a moody flake who will check out on his team at the drop of a hat.  So that was always a possibility that could come back to haunt Boston.

Do you think Tatum and/or Brown are guys that'll grow to be a #1 type on a championship contending team?  I think they're both nice players, still trying to decipher whether or not either one of them will be THAT dude.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Do you think Tatum and/or Brown are guys that'll grow to be a #1 type on a championship contending team?  I think they're both nice players, still trying to decipher whether or not either one of them will be THAT dude. 

I don't think Brown is that kind of guy, but I do think he'll be one of those role players that all of the championship teams want when he hits his prime.  Two way switch defender with plus offense that can be a reasonable third option for you.  Kind of like Ron Artest was.  He could have an All Star game or two in him.

Tatum is a future perennial All Star.  He's one of the best 20 and under guys in the league, and, with the exception of a stacked 2018 class, he matriculated into the NBA in a group of classes that have been unusually weak.  2014-2017 was a four class run that has produced only 8 All Star appearances, split between just six players.  And among them, Kristaps and DeAngelo Russell have already been traded on their rookie deals. 

That means Tatum is better than most of his peers, and by the time he's like 26 or 27, he will probably be a top ten player.  He is a foundation piece worth building around long term IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

When it comes to the NBA and how all this **** works (Bird rights, expiring contracts, etc.) I've never really paid that much attention to it, so it can confuse me at times.  With that said, the article I read on ESPN said that LA was looking to take on the contracts for Wagner, Bonga and Jones.  And that they were pursuing the purchase of second round picks for tomorrow's draft.  

Would they be giving up future draft picks  or cash or both to the teams that take on the expiring contracts?  I just don't like how it's set-up I guess.

You can out right buy 2nd round picks and have no affect on your cap, payroll or anything else.  The money just goes from one to the other team.

Selling picks doesn't benefit the team.  The owner(s) of the selling team essentially pocket the money.  The Lakers have money and are willing to shell out to buy picks.  Those picks are players that will play on cheap contracts and so don't count much towards the cap.

The Lakers are looking to give up those contracts (i.e. trade the players).

If they trade those players and fill the roster spots with 2nd round picks (from draft picks they've sold), then that opens up more cap space for them.

The people they are trying to trade aren't actually bad players given their contracts.  I don't think anybody will trade for Bogna or Jones unless the Lakers throw something else in (e.g. a future 2nd round pick).  They aren't bad players for their contracts, but they also aren't valuable players that you give up something to get either.

But let's say I'm even a youngish kind of good team (say the Kings), I'd have some interest in Wagner.  If I'm the Kings, I'd happily trade a future 2nd round pick swap for Wagner.

(I'd also take him if I'm the Pelicans.)

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tatum & Brown probably hate being in the lockerroom with that dude

imagine spending that much time around someone who thinks the earth is flat. imagine the type of **** Kyrie probably spouts off in between practices

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Tatum & Brown probably hate being in the lockerroom with that dude

imagine spending that much time around someone who thinks the earth is flat. imagine the type of **** Kyrie probably spouts off in between practices

Kyrie so deep in he probably thinks conspiracy theories are conspiracy theories. "What if I told you 9/11 was an outside job? Ask yourself who would benefit the most if they made you think it was an inside job. 🤔"

• Haha 4

I don't know if Isiah Thomas is underrated.  Maybe overlooked is a better word.  I dunno, I don't think that guy gets the credit he deserves is what I'm trying to say.  I know MJ said essentially "It's me or him" for the Dream Team https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2018/12/12/the-story-behind-isiah-thomas-being-left-off-the-dream-team/ and I think not making that team plays a bit of a part in how he's (not) remembered.  That, and everyone hated the Pistons.  But he was a very dynamic player that, IMO, gets overlooked a bit.

EDIT: To add to that, Magic, Bird and of course, Jordan, have been successful in their post NBA careers.  Magic, great businessman.  Bird won coach of the year, exec of the year...Jordan is Jordan.

Isiah has been a flop everywhere he's been, IIRC.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

If you’re the Bucks do you tie your franchise to Giannis, Bledsoe, Middleton, and Brogdon long term?  Giannis and Bledsoe are already signed long term.  Middleton declined his final year hoping for a max deal.  Brogdon is a restricted free agent whose numbers probably attract a decent sized offer.  If they sign both, that’s their team long term with cheap role players filling out the roster.  No room for Lopez, George Hill, or any depth.  In fact, if they give Middleton a max deal their probably at the cap already.  

Middleton looks like a Harrison Barnes to me.  Good numbers when under no pressure, but absolutely doesn’t come through when he has to make the plays.  They’ll regret giving him max deal.  Brogdon has been hyper efficient, but low volume.  If he demands nearmax. That might end up being a bad contract too.

bucks seem likely to take a step back next season.

• Like 2

Big day big day. Dawn of a new generation.

10 hours ago, Destino said:

If you’re the Bucks do you tie your franchise to Giannis, Bledsoe, Middleton, and Brogdon long term?  Giannis and Bledsoe are already signed long term.  Middleton declined his final year hoping for a max deal.  Brogdon is a restricted free agent whose numbers probably attract a decent sized offer.  If they sign both, that’s their team long term with cheap role players filling out the roster.  No room for Lopez, George Hill, or any depth.  In fact, if they give Middleton a max deal their probably at the cap already.  

Middleton looks like a Harrison Barnes to me.  Good numbers when under no pressure, but absolutely doesn’t come through when he has to make the plays.  They’ll regret giving him max deal.  Brogdon has been hyper efficient, but low volume.  If he demands nearmax. That might end up being a bad contract too.

bucks seem likely to take a step back next season.

I think if they wanna go all in, they do that, but perhaps risk wasting Giannis' peak years with the team.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I don't like giving Middleton a big contract, but I don't see how you avoid it if you are the Bucks.

Letting him walk doesn't likely free up the cap space to bring in a player that is as good, much less one that is better.

They'll have to make some other moves, but they likely can give Middleton a near max contract and bring back Lopez.

I just don't get all that juiced up over the NBA Draft. I mean its only two rounds and the 2nd round is like the 7th round of the NFL draft so you're really just gushing over one guy unless you happen to have multiple 1sts. Hell even late 1st rounders don't usually amount to much. Its not like the NFL draft where you can get excited over guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. You're actually overhauling your team with the NFL Draft.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't get all that juiced up over the NBA Draft. I mean its only two rounds and the 2nd round is like the 7th round of the NFL draft so you're really just gushing over one guy unless you happen to have multiple 1sts. Hell even late 1st rounders don't usually amount to much. Its not like the NFL draft where you can get excited over guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. You're actually overhauling your team with the NFL Draft.

its hard to get excited about most nba drafts if you dont have a top 5 pick. The talent pool is so thin and spots are so limited. Add to the fact that most of the NBA draft is projections and guess work. In the NFL you at least have 3 years of film on a player, the best prospects in the nba are typically a year removed from being in high school