Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I don't think it's that people think Beal is better than Wall, it's that everyone else seems to believe Beal is simply a better fit with LeBron. LeBron wants the ball and Wall needs the ball to be effective. Beal simply has better ability to knock down jump shots and would be better offensively off the ball. 

I think this gets overstated.  LeBron won two championships with Wade and one with Kyrie Irving.  He can thrive with ball dominant guards as sidekicks.  At the end of the day, good players figure out how to play with each other.

55 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think this gets overstated.  LeBron won two championships with Wade and one with Kyrie Irving.  He can thrive with ball dominant guards as sidekicks.  At the end of the day, good players figure out how to play with each other.

Wade and Irving were and are scoring guards. They aren’t the same type of player Wall is. I imagine they would figure out to how to play together but I don’t think it would be as effective as Beal there given the state of the game these days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If John Wall or Anthony Davis were free agents today and money wasn't an issue, they would be on the first flight to LA. 

Idk, Steve, that was a pretty scathing review by Slim Reaper and backed up by Lowry.  I think Kyrie's actions getting out to Boston speak for themselves, as does PG and Butler reportedly not wanting to get traded out there either.  Has anyone come out to defend him in the last 24 hours besides his teammates?  Any superstars?  

It was a franchise defining trade and I think the Hawks lost.  BUT, Trae Young could end up being really good too.

Gonna be interesting to see how their careers play out.

The team that really ****ed up is Sacramento.  Bagley looks pretty good, but you can't justify taking him over Doncic.  Doncic was clearly going to be a transcendent player.

• Like 1

Doncic has essentially been a pro for years.  I would not be surprised if this is essentially as good as he gets.  Which is really good, but not steve nash mvp good.

There are going to be several rookies that he looks better than this year that will be better than him in 2 years.

Edited by PeterMP

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's 19 years old.  He's one of the youngest players in the NBA and he's going to get way better.

Make you a bet.  Take the top 10 picks from that draft not counting him (so the top 11 picks).  Assuming nothing fluky with injuries (e.g. one of the best this year suffers a major injury next), their average TS%-his will be a larger value next year than this year (though it might be a negative value both years).

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Make you a bet.  Take the top 10 picks from that draft not counting him (so the top 11 picks).  Assuming nothing fluky with injuries (e.g. one of the best this year suffers a major injury next), their average TS%-his will be a larger value next year than this year (though it might be a negative value both years). 

Is TS% how you are judging the quality of a player?

49 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is TS% how you are judging the quality of a player?

Not totally (I'm big on defense actually, and I think people here likely know that), but it is an easily defined number that is certainly an important part of somebody being a good player.  It is also a number where players generally improve as their game matures in the NBA, and there are lots of ways players improve on it (better 3 point shooter, better FT shooter, finishing through contact so getting more FT, etc.) so it doesn't really bias to a position/skill set.

And in this case, I think it'll show Doncic's current performance being closer to where he plateaus than his fellow current rookies.

Is there, for example, any reason to believe that Doncic's going to grow more as a defensive player than his fellow current rookies, but less in terms of TS%?

Edited by PeterMP

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Man could you imagine a Fox/Doncic duo to build around.... 

With Hield at SG and Bjelica and Jackson at the forward spots around Doncic and Cauley-Stein in the middle.  Joerger coaching.  That's strong.  They'd be in the playoffs this year and get better and better over the next couple of seasons.  Good short term and long term construction.  Doncic and Bjelica are a natural forward tandem and they'd be cheap for the next three to four seasons.  It would have been a very high powered offense.

It's ironic to me that Vlade passed over the transcendent but mysterious Euro prospect for the safe Duke player.

Doncic is in a good situation in Dallas though.  Carlisle is a great coach and they have some good vets around him in Mathews and Jordan and Barnes and they have an assload of cap space this summer.