Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Howard is boom or bust but for us it was worth the risk. I can't imagine him being worse than Gortat or Mahimi though.

I wouldn't say he's boom or bust.  I don't think the upside is that high, nor do I think the risk that bad.  He's dirt cheap and, worst case scenario he sucks and picks up his option for next season and we bury him on the bench or buy him out.

My expectations for Dwight are that he won't make any friends in the locker room, but I do think he'll be productive and fill a hole.  Lost in the noise of last season was the fact that the Wizards's perimeter D was actually good.  It was the interior D and rebounding that sucked.  He'll help us play better interior D and he'll fix our defensive rebounding problem.  That's the one thing he still does at an elite level.

We didn't really lose any key perimeter defenders either.  Frazier was solid but Rivers is a good defender and much better offensive player.  Jeff Green is better than Mike Scott.  Troy Brown is a good defender.  John and Otto were severely injured last season too, they are healthy now.  If anything, the perimeter D might actually be better this season.

The Wizards got better this summer.  I didn't think we'd have the cap space nor draft position to do so, but this was a deep draft class and the market was so squeezed this summer that the bargain free agency bin was very flush in rotation talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Kobe has no reason to return. He has nothing to prove and he ain't gonna come back to be second fiddle to Bron.

Yeah, there is no reason for him to try to come back as a player.  If he wants to feel a part of the game again though he could have a role working with players individually.  That's something he could do with the Lakers or on his own.  It's popular to hate Kobe but his defense, footwork, and ability to position himself relative to other players to gain advantage were all great.  Unlike a lot of what goes into making super stars great, that stuff can be taught. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Destino said:

It's popular to hate Kobe but his defense, footwork, and ability to position himself relative to other players to gain advantage were all great.

I don't hate Kobe.  Just people that think he's one of the GOATs.