Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you trade Fred Davis to Patriots for a 3rd or 4th round pick?

Execution56

Absolutely not! Fred when healthy is a vital part of our offense. I thought Gronk was going to start preseason on the PUP list, does that still mean he will miss the first 6 weeks of the reg season? I thought you could bring a player off the PUP as long as it is before the reg season start.. I could be wrong

But no, I would not trade Fred for a 3rd or 4th or both, he is on a 1 year contract and will be a free agent next year, again! I don't really think anyone would make the trade anyway, knowing that he will be a free agent next year, he really has no value does he?

QFT. As soon as we start to build a little bit of depth at a position, everyone wants to trade it away.

Yeah, bad habit of our fanbase, that.

Can you imagine teams like the Packers, Pats, Ravens, or 49ers trading away key offensive pieces?

The other problem is that the market clearly isn't there to get much for Davis. If we (and the Bills, sort of) were the only team that was willing to give him decent money, then what is the likelihood he'd get a 3rd in the trade market?

The Patriots, due to their situation are likely the only team in the NFL in enough of a bind objectively to consider overpaying for Davis, except the Pats never do that. We'd need a poorly run team to be involved for us to get decent value.

The loss the value to us is simply not worth we'd gain back, and that's talking future years, and not even discussing the negative effect on the team this year.

I don't think he's that good. He doesn't block all that well (even Niles Paul is a better blocker), he's not that fast (we have two TEs that are faster already) and he doesn't have much wiggle/elusiveness. He also has no ST value. I'd rather use Reed and either Paul/Logan. If they offer a 2nd rounder I'd do it without any hesitation. I'd probably take much less. For a single pick I don't see me going below a 3rd. But I'd sure consider a package of lower picks.

FYI for all of y'all who must have forgot Check out FD83 stats before the injury. He was straight up balling. Him Reed, LP great trio. Bye Bye Paul

I don't think he's that good. He doesn't block all that well (even Niles Paul is a better blocker), he's not that fast (we have two TEs that are faster already) and he doesn't have much wiggle/elusiveness. He also has no ST value. I'd rather use Reed and either Paul/Logan. If they offer a 2nd rounder I'd do it without any hesitation. I'd probably take much less. For a single pick I don't see me going below a 3rd. But I'd sure consider a package of lower picks.

This is just laughable NP a better blocker BUHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! Do you have any film to support your argument?

This has been another episode of "Why Fans Should Never Be General Managers".

What if we can trade him for an air conditioned unicorn and a sandwich?

I dunno. I'm pretty sure Bruce could work his magic and get us at least the Megazord AND Dragon Zord, potentially with our own Angle Grove Warehouse District to destroy.

No dice. 

There's only room for one purty unicorn around here and that's Fred the signature boy!

Any more and there's gonna' be BIG trouble!

Hail. 

I would hang up on them. 

Well, hard to top that one.

I don't think that I'd trade Davis right now because we don't know what we have behind him.

Oh, and because he's really, really good.  That matters I guess.

Bye bye Paul?  He's, at worst, our best special teams player.  That would just be stupid.

FYI for all of y'all who must have forgot Check out FD83 stats before the injury. He was straight up balling. Him Reed, LP great trio. Bye Bye Paul

Be thankful for small mercies Kb.

Besides, as a fully paid up member of the B&G fan club, Fred is now setting about converting all his unicorn friends into good Redskins too. (Although his initial offering of leading a Unicorn Army up to NY use that special unicorn thingie to literally rip Mara a new one had to be curtailed, as tempting as it was. Can't afford the publicity at the minute. But maybe after the racist name B/S has died down ..... )

Hail. 

Good thing the Pats don't know he has a history of drug issues and coming off a major ACL injury, while holding out for big money during his one year contract! Nobody tell them and maybe we can get it done and replace him with the guys who couldn't last year or an injured long range prospect.

and fwiw, I don't think Fred is looking for a major contract. I think both sides are taking a wait and see approach.

I don't know who or what the F you're talking about,...

Good thing the Pats don't know he has a history of drug issues and coming off a major ACL injury, while holding out for big money during his one year contract! Nobody tell them and maybe we can get it done and replace him with the guys who couldn't last year or an injured long range prospect.

and fwiw, I don't think Fred is looking for a major contract. I think both sides are taking a wait and see approach.

I don't know who or what the F you're talking about,...

Good, we're on the same page.

While I don't agree with the reactions in this thread, I think the result after thinking this through is that anything we could possibly hope to get back (considering injury/drugs/upside) would not compensate for what we hope to gain.

I'm not a Davis fan. While I think he has good pass-catching skills, I think this board is over rating him. I don't think he's physical and don't think his game speed is much above average, and that's before the achilles. On the other hand, I'm betting that other teams feel roughly the same way. That means they'd likely never offer high value picks.

The Skins would laugh at a likely offer from the Pats (a pick in the 90-120 range at best) because there's more to gain from the upside of a pretty talented player in a contract year on a good team then there likely is from a future mid-round pick.

The only scenario where the Skins don't laugh at this is if their internal assessment of Davis is very very far below this board's assessment of him as a player, and that is incredibly unlikely considering we signed him or this year.

tell you what... if they call, i listen.

A fool doesn't listen. 

Obviously to make the deal there has to be maximum value.. with them in need, then the value is increased over what it would normally be. Boston Skins said in REALLY TINY TYPE that a 3rd or 4th was his max value, and for a team with little need, sure, but if the team is over a barrel, well, that changes the game. We like Fred, and expect him to be a big part of our offense in 2013. So there's a little more leverage.
If you NEED him, pony up. And need is the only reason the phone would ring.

Fred signed a one year deal and is coming off a serious achilles injury. The possibility exists he may have already played his best football as a result. It was pointed out that he didn't see much interest...  ok.. ANY interest in the free agent market, and it could be that injury and his potential off field issues are the problem. (and could continue to be a problem for us.. you never know.. he sure seems like a knucklehead.)

SO, in this purely hypothetical situation of the phone ringing and the patriots are on the line inquiring about freddy, it would only be prudent to listen. and if the deal is right, consider pulling the trigger.

remember,   One thing in common among the teams that build long term success in the cap / free agency era is that they are unafraid to make bold moves to gain draft choices.

Logan Paulsen won't go to the Pro Bowl, but we managed 10-6 and won the division with him holding down TE. he had his problems, sure, but does someone really mean to tell me that Fred makes us THAT much better that we should consider him untradeable?

~Bang

It's not like Fred is Tony Gonzales, but RG3 targeted him a lot before he got hurt, and he was basically our entire offense in 2011. 

He has more value to us, even coming off the Achillies, than a pick does right now. Right now, I think we're a contender, or at least close to being a contender, provided RG3's healthy a majority of the season. 

I'm far more interested in helping Robert win a championship than I am in giving Tom Brady another weapon. Do you listen? Sure. You listen. But Fred Davis does make the team better. If Fred comes back healthy, with Pierre, Santana, Josh, and Hank, not to mention if Jordan Reed can have a role as the season goes on, that makes the weaponry around Robert that much better. He may not by the lone playmaker, but he's a large piece of a hot engine.

Besides all of that, the Pats have 5 tight ends on their roster, and they have the option of signing someone like Visanthe Shiancoe who was with the team last year. That agan decreases the likelihood that they're going to give us fair value.

Patriots rarely make moves out of necessity, and in my opinion it has helped them attain the level of talent they have today.  I just can't see them trading away a 2nd-3rd draft pick for a guy like Fred who has a few question marks.

If they aren't able to use their TE duo this year, as they have in the past couple, my guess is they'll move towards a spread rushing attack, or an I-form power rushing attack, and lean on Vereen/Ridley.

I would keep Davis. Why on earth, would the Skins front office would want to lose a piece of the Redskin puzzle?

The Skins have pieced together this current team with painstaking care. Davis has been groomed and taught the offense and when healthy , Davis  can be the game changer.. Yes, his achillies is a concern and Davis is on a one year deal,if he walks after this season then good luck to him. But I wonder trading Davis to the Patriots would work for Davis. The scheme the Patriots run may not fit Davis, so Davis is a bust because of the scheme and or Brady and Davis do not gell. Plus the Skins lose out on a productive tight end with all the knowledge of the Skins offense.Ok, the Skins recieve some draft picks. What if the personell we draft are a bust? We are stuck with nothing to show for and the Skins have lost a good player and a lot of time and patience in developing a player. I would stand Pat on Davis (no pun intended) 

Hail

This scenario seems a little premature. 

I suspect no one is going to decide about Fred Davis' value, until they see how well he's come back from his injury.  

Okay, Fred was a big part of the Skins offense, and he's well-versed in the schemes and terminology.  He was an offensive threat -- last year.  ....But no one has seen him yet in game conditions this year, and it remains to be seen what's he's like now.

If he's as good as he was the last couple of years, the Skins should try to extend his contract, and reject trade offers.  But if the Skins get the sense Davis doesn't want to sign with them, in order to test the free agent market in 2014 -- maybe the Skins see what they might get for him (either in picks or a player.)

The bigger decision would be if Fred doesn't look good in pre-season.  I suspect some teams might still be willing to stash him on their roster and wait to see if Davis regains his old form.  But would the Redskins be that patient?

I don't think we need to bash the OP, for suggesting something that will be a growing issue for the Skins -- as they get better and deeper, the Skins might need to trade quality players on their roster, before their skills and trade value erode.  This team now seems to draft well, and find good pieces to help their team -- trades of players who's salaries are going up, while their skills are starting to go down -- may become an important tactic for the Skins to become perennial playoff contenders.

Archived