Extremeskins

EW: Writer's Guild votes on 101 Greatest Written TV Shows Ever

Sticksboi05

The Sopranos was named the best-written show in television
history by the Writers Guild of America, edging out an eclectic
collection of some of the most beloved and admired series. Members
of the Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW) and the Writers Guild of
America, East (WGAE) voted online for the 101 Best Written TV Series,
with David Chase’s iconic “family” drama topping Seinfeld, The Twilight Zone, All in the Family, and M*A*S*H*.

“At their core, all of these wonderful series began with the words of
the writers who created them and were sustained by the writers who
joined their staffs or worked on individual episodes,” said WGAW
President Chris Keyser and WGAE President Michael Winship in a joint
statement. “This list is not only a tribute to great TV, it is a
dedication to all writers who devote their hearts and minds to advancing
their craft.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/03/sopranos-seinfeld-wga/

1. The Sopranos, HBO

Created by David Chase

2. Seinfeld, NBC

Created by Larry David & Jerry Seinfeld

3. The Twilight Zone (1959), CBS

Season 1 writers: Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, Robert Presnell, Jr., Rod Serling

4. All in the Family, CBS

Developed for Television by Norman Lear, Based on Till Death Do Us Part, Created by Johnny Speight

5. M*A*S*H, CBS

Developed for Television by Larry Gelbart

6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show, CBS

Created by James L. Brooks and Allan Burns

7. Mad Men, AMC

Created by Matthew Weiner

8. Cheers, NBC

Created by Glen Charles & Les Charles and James Burrows

9. The Wire, HBO

Created by David Simon

10. The West Wing, NBC

Created by Aaron Sorkin

Agree to disagree on the list rankings. Not bad overall, but a bunch of disagreeables in there. Game of Thrones I would have a lot higher than 40 for example.

I think it's better than a lot shows above it on the list but the writers guild probably considers the fact that it's adapted straight from already written novels. It's a great show but most of it isn't original stuff.

Lists never work for me.  This one is a great example.  Half these shows wouldn't even make my list, and many seem to be mere nods to pop culture than actual writing.

Firefly, for example, should be very high on the list (unless multiple seasons are required?).  Twilight Zone would have been my #1, Simpsons my #2.

One show I believe was better than at least three quarters of this list is the John Larroquette Show.  The first season is one of the better sitcom seasons ever written, and that it has been buried and forgotten is criminal to those of us who care about these things.  I'm not saying it *should* be on the list, since no one besides a few WGA folks would know what it was, but if the sole qualifier was the quality of writing, it would be the first or second sitcom on the list.

Episode 1: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtL88PGVGv4

I cant stand Seinfeld, no one in the family likes it. I do not know what people see in it.

I would think breaking bad should be in there or I love Lucy as most of her stuff was classic. MTM was inspired by Lucy and the show, as was many other shows

I would also say game of thrones expect it is taken from a book. If i go back and think one of the most addicting and well written shows when it came out was Mission Impossible. It was unique when it was aired, but like most shows after a few years it became predictable. If a show keeps me interested past 4/5 years then that is well written

I cant stand Seinfeld, no one in the family likes it. I do not know what people see in it.

I would think breaking bad should be in there or I love Lucy as most of her stuff was classic. MTM was inspired by Lucy and the show, as was many other shows

I would also say game of thrones expect it is taken from a book. If i go back and think one of the most addicting and well written shows when it came out was Mission Impossible. It was unique when it was aired, but like most shows after a few years it became predictable. If a show keeps me interested past 4/5 years then that is well written

Breaking Bad and I love Lucy are on the list. 

They hit on a lot of great shows, I don't agree with the placement of all of them, but they got in all the ones I think are the best. Oz at 101 is suspect, I almost forgot how good that show was. 

Best writing- I think that is a different category than best plot or best acting or best show or best circumstance.

I think the best writing in the history of Television is the Wire.

As for Breaking Bad, that is a good example of a show that has great acting, great theme, and a great plot, but really, sort of poorly written.

You and your family sound very dull.  :)  Just kidding.

Honestly, I would have Seinfeld one.  Sopranos toppled after about season three or four to me, but it was great for a while.

I think its a solid list overall though.  I won't complain about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived