Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bacarri Rambo

RemoveSnyder

Most starting FS against CJ in the upfield don't have a great chance, but it was the way he missed more than missing in general.

On the other hand, best to be embarrassed here and now in a harmless game where the coaches have a full month to drill into him better habits.

WARNING THIS VIDEO CONTAINS MUSIC WITH PROFANITY: 

<staff edit rule 13 violation>---to any still unaware on this matter--just because you announce you're violating a rule (#13 in this case) doesn't mean it's ok  ;)  :lol:

There is a legitimate use for using a "NSFW" (not safe for work) warning in a post at times, but it doesn't allow for posting material that violates our own rules. Which kind of makes sense if you think about it.  :)

CJ makes people look bad.

Lets stop with the rush to judgement on our rookie FS.

Eventually, Rambo will be good FS, but this year he will end up playing closer to the line. Not basing this on a preseason game.

In my draft breakdown on Rambo I said that I would start Rambo off at SS first before moving him to FS. But, since the team is playing him at FS he should be allowed to learn and take his lumps without every missed tackle (even virutally impossible tackles) turning into a referendum on his ability to play the position.

I think when its all said and done, Merriweather will play more Free and Rambo will play more Strong.

Not going to happen. Rambo is not great in run support and Merriweather struggles in deeper coverage so your putting both guys in a position to fail in the scenario your suggest.

On Rambo - it's his first preseason game so lets not get into overreaction and frankly anyone who did not expect some mistakes and growing pains for a rookie 6th round pick playing FS in a system which has a lot of single high was not really paying attention. I just want to see progress.

Merriweather had pro bowl seasons playing more Free than Strong. Rambo doesn't have the range to make up the learning curve. Eventually, Rambo will be good FS, but this year he will end up playing closer to the line. Not basing this on a preseason game.

I may be wrong but I don't think Merriweather has ever played as a single high safety for any extended period. At New England he was more a SS in the box type or 2 high. In Chicago he was playing in what was mainly a Cover 2 scheme. I think the consensus is he is bett closer to the line of scrimmage than in deep coverage.

With Rambo it's going to be a steep learning curve and there will be some lumps to take. He does not have the foot speed to make up for false steps in coverage or bad angles in pursuit and there will be some of both of these. But he is probably the best natural FS on the roster and I think it's worth letting him learn on the job and develop with the playing time.

Most starting FS against CJ in the upfield don't have a great chance, but it was the way he missed more than missing in general.

On the other hand, best to be embarrassed here and now in a harmless game where the coaches have a full month to drill into him better habits.

No doubt.  My issue is that, I don't believe this pre-season game is just an isolated incident.  I've feared how he we look in run support since we drafted him, and he didn't change my opinion of that in this game.

Hopefully he takes his lumps and learns from them and I'm wrong about him, I just don't believe that will be the case.  We'll see though.

I guess the question is whether Rambo is a smart and disciplined player on top of being a ball hawk. After all, there have been many really effective safeties who didn't have blazing speed, but were carried by understanding of the game and good instincts.

I have to believe he has good instincts because of his knack for picking balls off. The question is how smart can he be.

I'm very disappointed in Rambo.  I mean a rookie playing in his first preseason game going one on one against the fastest back in the game who regularly abuses pro bowl safeties and he doesn't make the tackle??  I would have body slammed CJ and then picked up the fumble and ran for 2 td's...but that's just me.

I guess the question is whether Rambo is a smart and disciplined player on top of being a ball hawk. After all, there have been many really effective safeties who didn't have blazing speed, but were carried by understanding of the game and good instincts.

I have to believe he has good instincts because of his knack for picking balls off. The question is how smart can he be.

Agreed on all counts.  Furthermore our very own London Fletcher is a perfect example of someone with physical limitations, but is able to make up for it with instincts and knowledge of the game.

No doubt.  My issue is that, I don't believe this pre-season game is just an isolated incident.  I've feared how he we look in run support since we drafted him, and he didn't change my opinion of that in this game.

Hopefully he takes his lumps and learns from them and I'm wrong about him, I just don't believe that will be the case.  We'll see though.

Amen, Rambo like any draft pick starts with a clean slate. Lets reserve judgment and discern whether something is an isolated incident or a trend before we castigate.

Afterall lets be honest missing a tackle against CJ2K in the open field after the defensive front already blew the play doesn't warrant all this brouhaha.

And lets face it, any safety we've played, signed, drafted etc since '08 has and always will be compared to the one we lost in '07, and the comparison is going to be unfair every time, especially for the next say 3-5 years because I think its safe to say hypothetically he would still be on the team had it not been for that day. We will definitely look at Rambo and Thomas in a more critical fashion.

It's almost like a curse. Anybody we have placed back there since ST#21 has just seriously struggled: either they can't stay healthy or just don't perform well. I'm hoping one of these kids can right the ship along with Meriweather but I wouldn't bank on it.

And lets face it, any safety we've played, signed, drafted etc since '08 has and always will be compared to the one we lost in '07, and the comparison is going to be unfair every time, especially for the next say 3-5 years because I think its safe to say hypothetically he would still be on the team had it not been for that day. We will definitely look at Rambo and Thomas in a more critical fashion.

It's almost like a curse. Anybody we have placed back there since ST#21 has just seriously struggled: either they can't stay healthy or just don't perform well. I'm hoping one of these kids can right the ship along with Meriweather but I wouldn't bank on it.

Landry had his moments bef the achilles.  Not sure why we let him walk when obviously we had no plan B.

These rookie safeties we got... both of em are not even close to being good NFL starters. I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm thinking we'll be MUCH better off with Merriweather and Tanard Jackson.

I don't know if Tanard can stay clean, but if he does, I have to think he'll have a decent shot of making the roster if they keep 5 (heck, he might be better than just about everyone else). It'll be tough though, especially with the corner and tight end situations.

As far as the rookie... I understand Rambo missing the tackle, but the way he missed did make it more embarrassing. Really though? He's got some coaching points coming. The bright side is, even without Cofield, Hall and Wilson, we didn't give up many pass yards... and at least part of that is due to Rambo's play.

I haven't really watched tape on Rambo, but why is it that Lacy and the Alabama game seem like the only examples mentioned when criticizing his tackling?

These rookie safeties we got... both of em are not even close to being good NFL starters. I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm thinking we'll be MUCH better off with Merriweather and Tanard Jackson.

A bit of an overreaction and very quick on the trigger.  First NFL action doesn't a career make especially on a play where the safety play was bad, but the entire defense had discipline breakdowns putting the safety in a really bad position.

• 1 month later...

Rambo being benched for tackling issues?  Merriweather in single high? I swweeaaar there was someone on here making similar points

:P

Feel free to look at my post on the 1st page, I preached the same thing :P. I saw the bama tape from last season, Rambo wanted nothing to do with tackling Eddie Lacy, and Lacy isn't exactly going Earl Campbell on the NFL..

Yeah, he never got beat deep though ;)  ... whether it was single high or cover 3

That said, I wonder when we are going to bench the other 9 guys on defense who can't tackle.

I never said he wouldn't get beat deep, only that he was the best of an awful bunch. :D

Feel free to look at my post on the 1st page, I preached the same thing :P. I saw the bama tape from last season, Rambo wanted nothing to do with tackling Eddie Lacy, and Lacy isn't exactly going Earl Campbell on the NFL..

Great minds think alike.  Still can't believe NLC had this guy projected to be our 2nd rd draft pick...

So this is how they've chosen to deal with our defensive problem? Scapegoat a rookie who hasn't played nearly as bad as people on here believe.  Wilson and Hall have allowed receivers to run free and Meriweather can't tackle anyone so we bench Rambo?  If we actually held the person accountable for these issues to the same standard we might actually be getting a new DC but I digress.

This guy will probably be gone after the bye week. He's not a legit contributor.

What?  He's played just fine not to mention the plays that he's blamed for the most (Jackson TD, Nelson TD) neither were really his responsibility.  I honestly have no clue what I've been watching because I've paid close attention to him and he seemed to progress quite nicely from week to week?  This fanbase was so absolutely spoiled rotten by Sean Taylor that they don't realize it takes young safetys time to develop.  Let the kid play out the issues in his game and he'll be a stud.

Archived