Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com; Swinging For The Fences; With Foundation Set, Redskins Take Risks Looking For Game Changers

KCClybun

david-amerson-presswire.jpg

Click here to read more.

Welp, throw out everything I ever wrote about what the Redskins did and didn’t draft. The Washington Redskins took one look at that list, laughed at it, and then proceeded to break basically every convention they had created in the years prior.

If 2010, 2011 and 2012 were about setting the foundation for the football team, the Redskins 2013 NFL Draft class will be classified as one thing; “High Risk, High Reward.” The Redskins re-signed nearly every piece of the 2012 NFC East Championship team, and then decided to add playmakers at the position of needs, passing over more “proven” senior players for the high upside players who, for a variety of reasons, could either be home run hitters or bench warmers.

Click above to read more.[/gold]

this was the first time ive seen the Amerson highlight reel... i know its a HIGHLIGHT video, and doesnt show the negatives, but his ability to read where the ball will be and go and get it is unbelievable

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 04:18 AM ----------

oh, and Chris Thompson is fast as sh**. with a healthy RG3, and with the addition of speedy Jordan Reed, we will have (by far) the fastest offense in the league

Man I don't know but I love this draft. The main point for me is as this write up says, high risk, high reward. But is it a high risk? Other than some injury questions, we have IMO a very capable coaching staff that should be able to get all these kids with the program and work them to where they should realize their full potential. We have a leader at QB they will respect, and a leader on D that they will also respect.

In addition there is something called "I am going to prove the world wrong" with our picks. At one time or another most of them were projected to go much higher than they did so I bet the motivation will be there to work hard and prove to the rest of the league they missed out.

I liked the article -- agree completely witht he theme -- "High Risk/High Reward."

Since the highlight videos only show us the possible 'rewards' -- so it's easy to feel good about this draft. However it was the frequencly of the 'risks' being taken that I worry about -- almost every one of this selections has a risk that caused them to slide. Time will tell just how many of these playes will stick in the NFL.

In light of this, I hope that Snyder/Allen go out and find additional medical staff to ugrade their current ranks. Considering the number of injuries this team had in 2012 -- and the new players with significant injury histories -- it might be good insurance.

As for coaching up Amerson and Thomas -- I hope there is a solid effort made. Looking at the 2012 footage of Amerson did not give me much confidence Amerson will be a reliable cover DB type of player (Frankly I still feel there was less risk and just as much upside from Jamar Taylor --who was available at #51 as well as a few other DBs that Shanahan passed up.) -- If it turned out this was a Morris pick, then Raheem better pull out all the stops to ensure he grooms Amerson into a CB who can reliably cover his assignment. I have less concerns about Thomas ability to learn, but then there's that medical problem too.

I liked Bacari Rambo -- but will he turn into Tanard II? Time will tell.

Maybe this draft confirms that the Skins philosophy for their defensive backfield is going to be 'high risk/ high reward '-- gambling for the turnover, rather than shutting things down and getting the ball back by 4th down punts. It'll make for more exciting games, but will it also generate enough wins to get into the playoffs

I think the injury fears are valid and I wonder if they are or will take a new look at our training and medical staff at some point. Some injuries are unpreventable, but others... we've had way too many hammies and conditioning injuries over the years.

Well, was this draft an indication of the Skins adopting a gambler's philosophy? An overall team identity?

Or, was it a reflection of the fact that we've already got middle of the pack talent everywhere, and it's the 3rd (or whatever) round, and if we make a safe pick, here, then we'll get somebody who isn't much better than what we've already got?

Great introductions for all the rooks KC, well done! :applause:

I think Larry touched on the crux of it, Shanahan has built a solid team and now is the time where we look to upgrade over just serviceable players. The foundation is in place, the lockerroom is stable, the problem children have packed and gone, some of the high risks are mitigated by the atmosphere of professionalism and accountability that we lacked before. These kids will take the field with a team around them that will support them, foster their talents and mentor their attitudes toward the game and their own character. Whether or not that potential can translate into production remains to be seen, but the Skins have quickly become a great situation for young players to start their careers with.

Excellent write-up.

I said before the draft that this was possibly the time for Shanahan to take a few more risks in the draft. The foundation has been set over the last two seasons, plus we have the luxury of actually having some cap space in 2014 to add via free agency if required.

I think the remit was clear. We aren't looking for guy's with limited potential who will offer a marginal upgrade to what we have. We are looking for guys with higher potential who could develop into very good / elite talent.

Play makers / game changers were definitely on the pre-draft menu.

I agree, great write up :thumbsup:...although you said Philip Thomas' "main issue" was "working on his physicality", then immediately afterwards said his main issue was "eye discipline" lol...pick one, man! Don't confuse me :silly:...

My "High Risk/High Reward Draft List" thread didn't get a lot of posts, but the ES'ers that did post on it ended up naming half the guys we drafted :ols::

David Amerson

David Amerson
David Amerson
I'll add some possible late round nuggets that I like:

Chris Thompson, RB from Florida State.

Bacarri Rambo

I liked Bacari Rambo -- but will he turn into Tanard II? Time will tell.

I think what most people don't know about Rambo is, around the same time he got suspended, he'd lost a child. His baby was stillborn and in interviews around that time and it was pretty clear it really affected him. That's not an excuse, but I think around that point he was just trying to escape. I trust that the dude isn't going to mess up again. He's not a habitual abuser like Tanard.

I think what most people don't know about Rambo is, around the same time he got suspended, he'd lost a child. His baby was stillborn and in interviews around that time and it was pretty clear it really affected him. That's not an excuse, but I think around that point he was just trying to escape. I trust that the dude isn't going to mess up again. He's not a habitual abuser like Tanard.

This should be required reading. Not to boost Rambo's draft grade, but to cut the young man some slack as a human being.

This should be required reading. Not to boost Rambo's draft grade, but to cut the young man some slack as a human being.

Can't imagine being 21-22 and losing a child like that. I'd want to get away too.

Like I said, not excusing him, but I think he was just trying to cope.

Man I don't know but I love this draft. The main point for me is as this write up says, high risk, high reward. But is it a high risk? Other than some injury questions, we have IMO a very capable coaching staff that should be able to get all these kids with the program and work them to where they should realize their full potential. We have a leader at QB they will respect, and a leader on D that they will also respect.

In addition there is something called "I am going to prove the world wrong" with our picks. At one time or another most of them were projected to go much higher than they did so I bet the motivation will be there to work hard and prove to the rest of the league they missed out.

This is my way of thinking and why I love this draft. I don't think the risk is so high that it's like a coin flip on whether they bust or not. It might be swinging for the fence, but it's more like a homerun derby than a real game with a pitcher throwing curve balls lol. I read a lot of their tweets and they all sound very excited and blessed for the opportunity, so I think they will be hard workers.

What exactly was he caught for? I know it was a drug-related suspension but that could be any number of things. Someone on here said he "ate a brownie" that obviously wasn't JUST a brownie lol...but they were saying in essence that it was something ingested by accident. You're saying it something ingested on purpose to possibly help deal with the emotional pain he was going through at the time.

Great read. :applause:

I might be in the minority in this, but I seem to be more excited about RG3's new 3rd round weapon Jordan Reed than any other player that we picked.

You're not alone! At first I was very surprised -- but instead of freaking out like I would have in the Snyderatto Days -- I just figured it was mildly surprising. The more I read about the kid, the more I like it. Him and Rambo are the two I really like.

What exactly was he caught for? I know it was a drug-related suspension but that could be any number of things. Someone on here said he "ate a brownie" that obviously wasn't JUST a brownie lol...but they were saying in essence that it was something ingested by accident. You're saying it something ingested on purpose to possibly help deal with the emotional pain he was going through at the time.

I think the "it was an accident" thing was sort of an excuse, but that's just my opinion. It's conjecture, mostly, but if you look at the timing of his suspensions, it was around that same time. I do know it was something marijuana related. And I could be completely wrong.

Archived