Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com; Swinging For The Fences; With Foundation Set, Redskins Take Risks Looking For Game Changers

KCClybun

I think what most people don't know about Rambo is, around the same time he got suspended, he'd lost a child. His baby was stillborn and in interviews around that time and it was pretty clear it really affected him. That's not an excuse, but I think around that point he was just trying to escape. I trust that the dude isn't going to mess up again. He's not a habitual abuser like Tanard.
Thanks NLC. I think it is a huge insight as to why he smoked some pot. Now we're talking about smoking a little pot, something that states are in the process of legalizing. If people were to say he got drunk after losing his child they would understand, yet instead he got penalized for it being pot. I hope he is able to put it behind him and I pray he is able to heal that hole in his heart.

I love the Jordan Reed pick. A playmaking TE was a dynamic our offense missed badly last year. Paulsen is a solid blue collar guy, but he isn't a playmaking TE. Fred Davis is, but he obviously has caution flags. One, he is coming off an injury, two, he is one step away from suspension, and three, he's on a one year contract. Also, we might see some two TE sets similar to what the Patriots run.

I think the "it was an accident" thing was sort of an excuse, but that's just my opinion. It's conjecture, mostly, but if you look at the timing of his suspensions, it was around that same time. I do know it was something marijuana related. And I could be completely wrong.

People do smoke to deal with stress... :yes:

Thanks NLC. I think it is a huge insight as to why he smoked some pot. Now we're talking about smoking a little pot, something that states are in the process of legalizing. If people were to say he got drunk after losing his child they would understand, yet instead he got penalized for it being pot. I hope he is able to put it behind him and I pray he is able to heal that hole in his heart.

I don't think people start smoking pot do deal with the death of a child...most likely Rambo was already smoking it, and returned to smoking it due to emotional stress. Like NLC said, probably wasn't anything habitual...

However, a recent article said that GMs in the league estimate that 60-70% of all players in the NFL smoke pot. So if it WAS pot Rambo was caught for it should be seen in the context of reality.

Well, was this draft an indication of the Skins adopting a gambler's philosophy? An overall team identity?

Or, was it a reflection of the fact that we've already got middle of the pack talent everywhere, and it's the 3rd (or whatever) round, and if we make a safe pick, here, then we'll get somebody who isn't much better than what we've already got?

Gambler's Philosphy. The Skins are adopting a gambler's philosophy insofar as they now have more confidence in the coaches, trainers, and players to develop skills, to improve physical conditioning, and to change bad habits, both on and off the field. Shanahan indicated that a complete rebuild will take 5 years, and now that we are entering the fourth year of that rebuild, it's really starting to show.

The Skin's also feel that they must stay competitive through the draft. With no first rounder this and next year, they simply can't go with a good, solid and safe draft. They felt the need to have the best draft possible, which meant going for the riskier players.

Well, was this draft an indication of the Skins adopting a gambler's philosophy? An overall team identity?

Or, was it a reflection of the fact that we've already got middle of the pack talent everywhere, and it's the 3rd (or whatever) round, and if we make a safe pick, here, then we'll get somebody who isn't much better than what we've already got?

Bingo. Nail on the head. Thanks to good drafting, we have quality depth at nearly every position. What we need are more superstars. So we drafted a bunch of amazingly talented guys with high ceilings. Of course, the reason we were in a position to draft them was because they came with question marks. But even if only half live up to their potential, I'd call that an enormously successful draft.

When your offense is consistently putting up 30+ points, the other team will be throwing a lot, so turnovers are what will win you that game.

High octane football is what we are going to have to get use to. We've got the team to ground and pound, but now also have more weapons to break the big one at any time, on both sides of the ball.

O.K i will be the jerk, but the article was ripe with typos, and conflicting info. The Phillip Thomas section stuck out to me as being inaccurate. A ball hawking deep coverage safety in college who doesn't play very physical and needs to improve in run support is somehow better suited as an in the box safety? No, he is not at all. Rambo is a much better in the box candidate than Thomas, yet yo say he is the center fielder type, but his coverage skills and fluidity are not very good. he is a read and jump kind of pass route defender. Don't get me wrong btw i like him a LOT. I think he will play the role we saw Merriweather play for almost a whole half last season.In fact i think he might win that role from Brandon within the season. Anywho, i don't mean to be too negative, just don't agree on your safety roll descriptions or projections.

I personally think there's less risk to this group than a lot of commentators feel.

Amerson got too cute in 2012, so if you can get him back to his 2011 self, and then develop from there, he's solid and not risky. Rambo's weed problems coincide with a tragedy, and they weren't consistent, unlike a certain "DB who shall not be named." The injuries the running backs suffered concern me, but I'd imagine the first thing the FO does after watching tape is check their injury status. If they weren't healthy, or likely to be healthy, the FO probably would have gone elsewhere, especially considering how many possible COB RBs there were in the draft.

Reed, Thomas, and Jenkins are all pretty solid picks, and I don't see a ton of risk there.

I will say, however, that other offices viewing these guys as risks helps us a ton.

To other offices, Amerson is boom or bust, Reed is undersized, Rambo is a drug risk, and both RBs are injury prone. That's fine, because it helped them to fall into our laps, and will allow us to stuff their own draft boards down their throats.

I personally think there's less risk to this group than a lot of commentators feel.

Amerson got too cute in 2012, so if you can get him back to his 2011 self, and then develop from there, he's solid and not risky. Rambo's weed problems coincide with a tragedy, and they weren't consistent, unlike a certain "DB who shall not be named." The injuries the running backs suffered concern me, but I'd imagine the first thing the FO does after watching tape is check their injury status. If they weren't healthy, or likely to be healthy, the FO probably would have gone elsewhere, especially considering how many possible COB RBs there were in the draft.

Reed, Thomas, and Jenkins are all pretty solid picks, and I don't see a ton of risk there.

I will say, however, that other offices viewing these guys as risks helps us a ton.

To other offices, Amerson is boom or bust, Reed is undersized, Rambo is a drug risk, and both RBs are injury prone. That's fine, because it helped them to fall into our laps, and will allow us to stuff their own draft boards down their throats.

If we come out of this class with 2-3 regular contributors and a couple spot starters and special teamers, we're golden. Even better than golden even.

Thanks for the good write up. I share your opinion of Rambo. I live in GA, watched him play at UGA, and can't believe we got him in the 6th. He will be on the field this year, he's too good to keep off of it. Thomas and Rambo as the two safeties could be our best combo since Taylor and Landry. Also liked our other picks.

Archived