Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III in trademark dispute over use of 'RG3'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000161695/article/robert-griffin-iii-in-trademark-dispute-over-use-of-rg3

The motorcycle suspension parts company Research Group 3 has long been known by its initials "RG3." The letters "RG3" are on a lot of its products, which Rob Henricksen started as a company back in 1998, according to The Washington Post.

There is a rather famous player nicknamed RG3, which is where the problem arises. Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III filed paperwork last year to trademark the phrases "RGIII" and "RG3" for commercial use on apparel. Now the motorcyle parts company is filing an extension with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to oppose both of the quarterback's filings.

"We don't want to have any confusion in the marketplace, and we're sure he doesn't, either," said Catherine Holland, an intellectual property lawyer that is representing the Research Group 3.

rg3suspension413a.jpg

Henricksen’s company “became synonymous with plush and predictable suspension,” its Web site explains, “suspension that let a rider cut through whoops and blaze through corners and obstacles with the confidence you’ve been looking for.”

And that company’s name? Research Group 3. Which, in the industry, is commonly referred to by its initials: RG3.

Of course, around the time Pastrana was extolling RG3′s merits, another RGIII was attracting a small bit of attention in the sports world. And as Robert Griffin III transitioned from a promising college prospect into an established professional star, he took steps to protect his brand, filing paperwork with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to trademark the phrases “RGIII” and “RG3,” for use on “shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, pants, shorts, footwear, hats, caps, [and] athletic uniforms.”

Griffin, as it turns out, was just eight years old when Henricksen started his motorcycle parts business. But as his star rose, the company started getting e-mails and letters from fans wondering if there was a connection between the suspension business and the quarterback.

Earlier this year, the company filed an extension of time with the Trademark Office to oppose both of the quarterback’s filings. The company was granted 90 days; the extensions of time expire next week.

“We’re maintaining the status quo until we can work out a coexistence agreement,” said Catherine Holland, a California-based intellectual property lawyer with Knobbe Martens who is representing the company. “We just want to clearly delineate the rights that each party has with regard to the phrase RG3.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/04/19/rgiii-trademark-dispute-over-rgiii/

Henricksen’s company “became synonymous with plush and predictable suspension,” its Web site explains, “suspension that let a rider cut through whoops and blaze through corners and obstacles with the confidence you’ve been looking for.”

Sounds like they need to work out a sponsorship deal between these two, if anything. I can see the commercial already.

There is no marketing/commercial with RGIII and Research Group 3. Nothing would sell like hot cakes, its not a win win. I love RGIII like everyone else, but I don't see them selling more motorcycle suspensions because he does a commercial lol. Y'all are silly sometimes. RG3 should win because he filed first. Other company should have been smart about it when they started getting phone calls when he was in college and people started asking if they were connected.

I really hate this type of stuff. It just comes across as arrogant to me.

I think you need to read more about it if you think anything about this is arrogant. He filed for the trademark right around the time he was drafted. Which was smart. This company is taking issue, not the other way around.

I think you need to read more about it if you think anything about this is arrogant. He filed for the trademark right around the time he was drafted. Which was smart. This company is taking issue, not the other way around.

I understand that. What I hate is when someone trademarks something like "RG3" or "Kapernicking." Or when Tebow sued that T-shirt maker in NYC for putting Jesus instead of Jets on a green t-shirt because he didn't want anyone to think he was actually Jesus.

They're just dumb things to trademark and the idea that they somehow need to protect themselves is just foolish.

I think the problem is that if griffin lets this company use rg3, he might be leaving himself unable to enforce other trademark tresspasses.

---------- Post added April-19th-2013 at 09:23 PM ----------

Im with tebow ont the jesus shirt, the shirt was making a mockery of God...

Im an atheist so it didnt really bother me none, but if your Tebow, a devout christian i think you owe it to yourself to put an end to that kinda greasiness,

Negative, RGIII and his knee need to stay the hell away from motorcycles lol

As a guy who grew up riding and racing dirt bikes, let me tell you first-hand that they're not as dangerous as they get made out to be. There's a whole bunch of recreational stuff that's way more dangerous. Just off the top of my head: skiing, snowboarding, waterskiing, jet skiing, skateboarding, surfing, or anything else with the word 'ski' in it (RIP Sonny Bono). Riding horses, bulls, bicycles (because of traffic), white water rafting, or anything where you jump off something really high.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) Most of these things involve either high speeds, heights (more than 40 ft), or water. Motocross has none of these even though it seems like it would. Amateur bikes don't exceed 50 mph on the track and don't jump higher than 20 ft.

2) Protective equipment for many of these activities is severely lacking. My dad wouldn't even let me sit on the bike without full-face helmet, chest/shoulder/back protector, long sleeves, padded pants, gloves, boots, and goggles. I took plenty of spills and never got more than a scratch and a bruise.

If Research Group 3 had been getting emails relating to RG III they probably should have taken steps to secure that trademark earlier so I don't know know how much that counts legally but courts don't generally like companies that wait long periods of time prior to taking any action.

As a side note, a lot of that merchandise in question for Griffin would be NFL trademarked also. So the league stands to lose a few dollars here too.

I understand that. What I hate is when someone trademarks something like "RG3" or "Kapernicking." Or when Tebow sued that T-shirt maker in NYC for putting Jesus instead of Jets on a green t-shirt because he didn't want anyone to think he was actually Jesus.

They're just dumb things to trademark and the idea that they somehow need to protect themselves is just foolish.

A guy like RG3 has the potential to be a brand all on his own. It's intelligent to protect that possibility, not arrogant. There's a lot of money in this, it would be foolish NOT to try to lock it down. He's a marketable dude. His endorsements are already all over the place. He just happens to come with a built-in, catchy nickname that a guy like Peyton Manning never had. Anyone who takes issue with this at all just doesn't understand.

He's smarter than your average bear.

As a guy who grew up riding and racing dirt bikes, let me tell you first-hand that they're not as dangerous as they get made out to be. There's a whole bunch of recreational stuff that's way more dangerous. Just off the top of my head: skiing, snowboarding, waterskiing, jet skiing, skateboarding, surfing, or anything else with the word 'ski' in it (RIP Sonny Bono). Riding horses, bulls, bicycles (because of traffic), white water rafting, or anything where you jump off something really high.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) Most of these things involve either high speeds, heights (more than 40 ft), or water. Motocross has none of these even though it seems like it would. Amateur bikes don't exceed 50 mph on the track and don't jump higher than 20 ft.

2) Protective equipment for many of these activities is severely lacking. My dad wouldn't even let me sit on the bike without full-face helmet, chest/shoulder/back protector, long sleeves, padded pants, gloves, boots, and goggles. I took plenty of spills and never got more than a scratch and a bruise.

I was entirely just making a joke man. The most dangerous thing about motorcycles is the drivers around them that don't pay attention or don't see them. You can "safety" talk yourself out of anything in life, but then what is the point? I was simply making a joke - I'm from the Cleveland area and you can understand how the whole Kellen Winslow Jr. situation went over lol. But Roethlisberger's experience is a good example that accidents on motorcycles usually come from drivers around you just not seeing you.

I was entirely just making a joke man. The most dangerous thing about motorcycles is the drivers around them that don't pay attention or don't see them. You can "safety" talk yourself out of anything in life, but then what is the point? I was simply making a joke - I'm from the Cleveland area and you can understand how the whole Kellen Winslow Jr. situation went over lol. But Roethlisberger's experience is a good example that accidents on motorcycles usually come from drivers around you just not seeing you.

It's all good. Also, street bikes and dirt bikes (which is what this company's suspension parts are for) are a whole different ball of wax. Like you said, traffic makes things so dangerous for the bikes. There's also that whole falling down on pavement thing. :( I'm from OH, too - my friends back home went ape over Winslow lol. Stupid Browns.

Makes me think of how you could play as any NBA player in a game except for Michael Jordan. He wasn't even part of the player's association. I hated that. I still would have loved to have the real Jordan on the Bullets, but it always sucked to play with "Random Guard."

Makes me think of how you could play as any NBA player in a game except for Michael Jordan. He wasn't even part of the player's association. I hated that. I still would have loved to have the real Jordan on the Bullets, but it always sucked to play with "Random Guard."

:ols:

I remember that, especially with the NBA Shootout franchise. It was a random guard with no photo. The dude didn't even have a bald head. He had a high fade or something :ols:

Wasn't that also the case with Lavar when he first came in the league?

Don't see why they both can't use the mark. The law allows the same mark to be used by different companies provided they are in different industries and there's no likelihood of confusion with customers. It's like claiming John Riggins shouldn't be able to trademark Diesel since there's a clothing company with the same name. Although to be fair, there's no real need to trademark anything unless you're trying to make money off it.

Archived