Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: RGIII makes Redskins elite organization (video at link)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/08/profootballtalk-rgiii-makes-redskins-elite-organization/

Video at the link, which is better than this short blurb accompanying it:

The Washington Redskins return a majority of starters from last season, but the PFT guys still see glaring areas of need. Linebacker, receiver and the secondary could all use an upgrade, but with Robert Griffin III in the fold, the Redskins will continue to be competitive.

As for the draft over the last 3 years, Florio gives us an A...the other guy does, too, and says it would have been an A+ if RG3 had stayed healthy. Under "Best Draft Picks" they list the obvious (RG3, Morris, Kerrigan, Williams)...under "Worst Draft Picks"? They have "None" lol...

No, it's always more than that. Bradford and Stafford didn't transform their franchises. The QB is an important piece in the puzzle but hardly the only one. RGIII ain't doing it all by himself.

And those QBs are no where near the level of RG3. They aren't as close to being a leader like RG3

As for the draft over the last 3 years, Florio gives us an A...the other guy does, too, and says it would have been an A+ if RG3 had stayed healthy. Under "Best Draft Picks" they list the obvious (RG3, Morris, Kerrigan, Williams)...under "Worst Draft Picks"? They have "None" lol...

I can't really find a bad pick in the Shanahan/Allen era either. The only ones that come close are Dennis Morris, Erik Cook, and Selvish Capers. Those weren't bad picks, mind you, but they just didn't do much of anything.

I don't know if I'd consider LB a position of need

Not immediate, no. But more than likely next year will be, and depending on how Fletcher holds up, we could stand more depth.

No, it's always more than that. Bradford and Stafford didn't transform their franchises. The QB is an important piece in the puzzle but hardly the only one. RGIII ain't doing it all by himself.

dude bradford is horrible average at best

Stafford is not even the best player on offense calvin johnson is. Replace stafford with shaun hill the production of the offense stays the same.

I can't really find a bad pick in the Shanahan/Allen era either. The only ones that come close are Dennis Morris, Erik Cook, and Selvish Capers. Those weren't bad picks, mind you, but they just didn't do much of anything.

Those guys were all 6th and 7th rounders iirc, no harm no foul...not all 6ths can be Alfred Morris :)

Also still unsure on the Lerib pick.. unless he breaks out and turns into a Nate Newton one of these days, I will question taking him in the 3rd.. it doesn't look like the team has any plans to have him start anytime soon.. and it ain't like there is Nate Newton and Larry Allen in front of him... doesn't give me a warm fuzzy at all.. but such is life I suppose.

True enough but not really the point.

I hear what you're saying. The 'Skins would have won at least one or two more games this past season if our defense bothered to show during the first half of the season. At the same time, one of the main reasons why we went on that incredible winning streak and won the division was because the defense stepped up when they needed to.

Can you imagine how good the 'Skins would be with our current offense and a stifling defense? They'd be unstoppable.

Those guys were all 6th and 7th rounders iirc, no harm no foul...not all 6ths can be Alfred Morris :)

Also still unsure on the Lerib pick.. unless he breaks out and turns into a Nate Newton one of these days, I will question taking him in the 3rd.. it doesn't look like the team has any plans to have him start anytime soon.. and it ain't like there is Nate Newton and Larry Allen in front of him... doesn't give me a warm fuzzy at all.. but such is life I suppose.

I agree with you 100% but I think the jury is still out with Ribs. We will see this coming season and next season whether or not he was worthy of the pick.

You can't realistically expect a 3rd round guard to come in and make an impact his rookie season. Since we recently re-signed Lich, I can see Ribs replacing Chester eventually.

I agree with you 100% but I think the jury is still out with Ribs. We will see this coming season and next season whether or not he was worthy of the pick.

You can't realistically expect a 3rd round guard to come in and make an impact his rookie season. Since we recently re-signed Lich, I can see Ribs replacing Chester eventually.

Monty imo. For a rookie Ribs held his own when he had to step in for Lich when he sprained his ankle at the end of the season.

I hear what you're saying. The 'Skins would have won at least one or two more games this past season if our defense bothered to show during the first half of the season. At the same time, one of the main reasons why we went on that incredible winning streak and won the division was because the defense stepped up when they needed to.

Can you imagine how good the 'Skins would be with our current offense and a stifling defense? They'd be unstoppable.

Yep, and I wasn't just thinking about the other side of the ball. Imagine RGIII taking JC's place in 06 behind an aging o-line, throwing to guys like Randle-El and Brandon Lloyd and getting pressured on every single play - would he be able to win ten games with that kind of supporting cast? He's dynamic but this is a team sport.

Now that you've imagined that, think about how much we've improved since then at o-line, receiver, depth at TE, depth at QB, we don't give fat contracts to guys like Archuletta and Haynesworth anymore, draft picks actually make the squad and see playing time... I mean, wow.

Well that was fun to watch. :)

I think we are 'elite' at QB and RB, but that's about it. Defensively I don't think we are as strong as they do. I'm surprised nobody mentioned safety, because that position killed us last year. That would be my first priority (if we don't go BPA).

But in general I guess I agree with their overall impression of the team.

Archived